THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!!! Backcountry reminder.

gelton

WKR
Had the same thing happen to me once, took a big spill in deadfall 3.5 miles in and solo...always seems to happen to the same ankle for me...

aX5wxyT.jpg

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
So, I may be dating myself but for you older dudes......remember the "this happened to me!" segment in Outdoor Life?
This post is somewhat of an educational one but I recently had a this happened to me experience.

October 14th found myself, my brother Jeff and my buddy, Mark (elkhunter777) hiking and backpacking into an area in a state west of the Mississippi for the opener of elk season. I had scouted this area a bit earlier and had located elk although it was a new area to us all.

We were planning on setting up in a saddle between a couple of ridges and in order to get there, we had to traverse a snow covered slope that was covered with burnt trees. It was about a 40 degree slope or so, and footing was okay, but somewhat spotty in a few locations. We were about 300 yards or so from the saddle and I lost my footing. I fell head first down the slope for about 15 feet or so and my body went around one side of a standing tree and my knee and ankle wrapped around the other side. It was one of those, "damn, I really f..... Up moment."

I knew I was hurt and layed there taking the situation in and Jeff came over to help out. I tried to stand but could barely do so and tried to walk......no friggin way. The ankle was killing me with the knee also hurting. Jeff suggested I drop my pack.......and try and get to the saddle.
So I say, "I ain't no pussy!" and tried to hobble. Well apparently I'm a pussy because I just could not do it. I ended up dropping my pack and rifle and was able to painfully hobble to the saddle. Trekking poles are a godsend......we actually call them mountain canes.

Once at the saddle, Jeff and I evaluated our situation and Mark went back to get my pack. Jeff was ready to activate SAR, delta force, navy seals, coast guard, etc. and i had to bring him down a bit and suggested that I just had a bad sprain and we were very prepared so let's just spend the night and see what happens. Thank god we didn't have any cell service.........

Jeff basically took care of setting up my stuff and I elevated my leg and took some ibuprofen and a couple of hydrocodone pills which I carry. Later had a couple shots of Pendleton and I was ready to run a marathon.........whooooo hoo!

My entire ankle was swollen and I could feel tendons and ligaments stretch anytime I moved it. I had a good sleep and when morning came, it was stiff and swollen but stubborn me was ready to go huntin!!! I wait for this all year and we were here damnit. Walked along the ridge for the morning and the "intelligent" part of me finally realized that I was done. Just could not physically walk without some very un comforting pain. So we spent another night on the saddle resting and the next day I was able to hobble back to the truck with a lighter pack as Jeff and Mark carried some of my stuff.

Got into town for an X-ray and no breaks but i tore the crap out of my ankle and surrounding tissue. Still sore and stiff today even though it was two weeks ago......really put a damper on hunting season.

Couple of thoughts.....
------you just can't put a price on good gear. Buy the best. We could have spent a couple weeks there if need be.
-----plan on shit happening. Cause it does.
-----hunt with people you can rely on. Cause you do.
-----I also hunt alone a lot. I see an in reach in my future.

RandyView attachment 129946View attachment 129947

Randy,
that really sucks. i’m glad you are ok!
my takeaway from this:
clip your inreach to your belt loop so you can access it easily if you take a fall! and obviously try and hunt with someone if you can.

jmez

WKR
Ankles are pretty vulnerable. I always have one of these in my pack. Doesn't weigh much. Make sure you have the right fit, lace your boot as tight as you can. Can walk pretty well with a badly sprained ankle.

McDavid brace.

njdoxie

WKR
Curious when you can mountain hunt again, is it good to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZmark

WKR
Glad it wasnt really serious, but could have been.

Were you hunting in AZ? Just asking because looking at that foot pic, I'm pretty sure I saw some footprints about the same size, thought I had discovered BigFoot!.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL I think we all got punked...
Actually i just came across this tonight after we are recuperating after a long successful pack out. Yup, this was a year ago but today my ankle still feels it. My regular hunting partner, Elkhunter777 here on the slide, took a dandy muley yesterday and we have spent yesterday and today getting it out. He is 58 and i am 62..........be 63 on october 26th so feel free to send gifts..............anyway, we both have in reaches now and they are nice...when they work. Bottom line is to be prepared and count on yourself or others.

Randy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Injuries in the back country suck, I had an injured that made walking out impossible, took a few guys and a lot of time and pain to get back to the car. You heal with time but those hard hits never get back to the old “normal”.

FZY

FNG
Newbie here. So what do you guys do to rehab those ankles? I just turned 60 this year and was down by Mount St Helens in August scouting solo. About amile in broke my ankle. Displaced bimalleolar ankle fracture. Surgery with pins, plates and screws. Still in the damn splint boot and non weight bearing. 2020 sucks.

gelton

WKR
Newbie here. So what do you guys do to rehab those ankles? I just turned 60 this year and was down by Mount St Helens in August scouting solo. About amile in broke my ankle. Displaced bimalleolar ankle fracture. Surgery with pins, plates and screws. Still in the damn splint boot and non weight bearing. 2020 sucks.
Wow, that is nuts, I am unfortunately the wrong person to ask because IMO a weak ankle will always be a problem at least it is for me. A damn good brace is insurance but not foolproof, I use a bauerfeind. This happened to me about 3 months after the pic above hanging a euromount and I have 25 foot ceilings so I was about 15 ft up on a ladder that slipped out from under me. Not a mistake I will ever make again

I learned that night that if you ever plan on going to the emergency room it's a good idea to cut yourself on the forehead beforehand, they thought I had a head injury and rushed me back even though the waiting room was full. Lots of cartlidge and tendon damage and a partially torn achilles but no plates and screws required, thank goodness.

1603067534535.png

Diamond K

FNG
I feel you pain. Glad you were able to make if off the mountain on your own.
I too had to back out of an intended pack a couple of weeks ago with my son and his buddy because I just couldn't stand the pain on my back from the pack. Injuries from red iron erection work has taken a toll on my body. I was about 1/3 of the way up to a saddle where I have camped for years. 10,000 start and 11,800 at the saddle. I still have the 30 year old mind but the 60+ year old body says STOP packing. I camped at our resupply site and went up empty the next day.

FZY

FNG
I was wearing Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots, 10" high leather. Been wearing them for years, for me the most comfortable boot I have found. Once I rehab from this I'm going to try the Kenetrek EverStep Orthopedic boot.

I've been looking into battery powered hunting carts. If I can't carry my pack for long distances the Honey Badger electric cart may just be the ticket.

One way or an other I will be back out in the field.