This is a whole new game, could use any advice

Opah

WKR
Man this is going to be Really Tough, You ever shoot with a tactical red dot sight, (non magnified)
I tried using to dot to sight the target and the target doubled versioned and thin I tried focusing on the target and moving the dot to the target and the dot doubled. Had to of went thru 100 round and got to where I could hit the plate. going to be a lot of rounds to get my mind and eyes trained to have both open and no go cross eyed.
So after 100 rounds 3 out for 4 plates rapid fire one shot per plate, 3 plates I hit Both shots and one lower plate I missed both but and a nice group 6 inches to the right.
This is going to get super expensive if I cannot figure this out? anyone go thru this and over come it ?

bsnedeker

WKR
What sight are you using? I use a Holosun on my AR which is cheap and works pretty dang well.

I agree with Rob. I have a problem using dot type sights unless they're dimmed way down. The dot is just to bright and blurry for my eyes. Even on lower settings. Those with astigmatism also noticed oncoming traffic lights to be extremely bright and obscure most of their vision. If you notice that, chances are that's the issue.

Good news it's it's an easy fix. You just need to shoot a prism style sight. You can get them with no magnification and use them just like a red dot, but the reticle will be nice and crisp for you. You can also use a low power variable scope. That's what I've went to and really like it.

Savage99

WKR
Astigmatism here and use a prism sight. But I’ve heard some of the more expensive red dots are better at not starbursting for our eyes. I don’t recall 100% when looked thru an aimpoint, but I didn’t think there was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreeko

FNG
One thing I have found that helped me when transitioning to a red dot sight is to focus both eyes on the target and then overlay the dot on the target.

When looking through a magnified optic with one eye (assuming you have the parallax knob adjusted accordingly) your eye/brain doesn't have to choose between focusing on the target or the crosshairs since the scope is doing that work for you. A properly set up scope should provide you with a crisp image of the target and crisp cross hairs at the same time making it easy for your eye to see both in focus.

With a red dot, your brain/eyes will need to focus on either the target or the dot since there is no parallax knob or focus ring to do this for you. Your eyes are the focusing mechanism. I have found that using both eyes to focus on the target and then simply overlaying the dot where it needs to be (while my eyes are focused on the target) works very well and is easy to make the transition once your used to it. This has proven true with my handguns equipped with red dots as well as red dots on rifles.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Vortex strike fire ll Red and green Dot, I also have this issue with binoculars and seeing double
Images. Looks like I have a bunch more rounds to shoot to get comfortable.
I did find focusing on the target was working better for me than focusing on the Dot

JiminAZ

FNG
If you have a rear aperture sight on your AR (and a co-witness mount), you can look through the aperture at the dot and it will crisp up considerably.

Most sights have the dot at a focus distance of infinity. So above advice about focusing on the target is correct. Quit trying to focus on the dot.