This is nuts:

Northpark

WKR
Aww hell. There’s a another item to the bucket list of items my wife would think is a terrible idea.

I'm guessing it was for tagging or something similar. But why wouldn't they just use a tranquilizer?

I'm sure, that breed of person only makes up less than 1% of the world's population. The other few percent didn't make it passed their teenage years

just another day in NZ. in the early days they wrestled them but they later developed a net gun for live capture. best pilots bar none
Fantastic vid/flying....

Years ago, I did a cruise up to the arctic and we needed a helo onboard for some of the work. They hired a guy that had got his start shooting invasive deer in NZ. Very calm, collected nice guy. I needed a ride into town (Barrow) to calibrate an instrument (seismometer) one day and went in with him in the Hughes 500 he had onboard. The trip in was fine. He came to pick me up after a few more trips, and buy then the wether had gone to shit. We flew out to the ship with about a half inch of ice over that polycarbonate bubble. The help deck on the ship was a poor design with little room for error as the hanger was right in front of it. He landed that thing with one hand on the stick and one hand holding the door open so he could see. It was impressive.

On another occasion I took a week to hang out on the South Island after a few months work. I was with a buddy and we were driving down a steep road into the fjord areas. Out of nowhere, this helo pops of from below the cliff edge and lands with one ski on the edge so a guy can jump out and ride his bike back down.

That invasive deer program did indeed develop some phenomenal pilots. Its cool to see those little robinson's scattered all over the place down there.

Last edited:
Fantastic vid/flying....

Years ago, I did a cruise up to the arctic and we needed a helo onboard for some of the work. They hired a guy that had got his start shooting invasive deer in NZ. Very calm, collected nice guy. I needed a ride into town (Barrow) to calibrate an instrument (seismometer) one day and went in with him in the Hughes 500 he had onboard. The trip in was fine. He came to pick me up after a few more trips, and buy then the wether had gone to shit. We flew out to the ship with about a half inch of ice over that polycarbonate bubble. The help deck on the ship was a poor design with little room for error as the hanger was right in front of it. He landed that thing with one hand on the stick and one hand holding the door open so he could see. It was impressive.

On another occasion I took a week to hang out on the South Island after a few months work. I was with a buddy and we were driving down a steep road into the fjord areas. Out of nowhere, this help pops of from below the cliff edge and lands with one ski on the edge so a guy can jump out and ride his bike back down.

That invasive deer program did indeed develop some phenomenal pilots. Its cool to see those little robinson's scattered all over the place down there.
There has been a ton of chatter lately in the US about how problematic the Robinsons are here. Any idea how the Kiwis feel about them?

slick

WKR
Agreed. R44s are getting a bad rap up here as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. R44s are getting a bad rap up here as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always thought they were considered cheap, but good. But recently I've seen a ton of people saying they'll never fly in one again. Some people were even advocating grounding them all, not clear what changed.

JP100

WKR
There has been a ton of chatter lately in the US about how problematic the Robinsons are here. Any idea how the Kiwis feel about them?
Robbies are being phased out by most guys here(NZ)

Cannot be used for any government contracts.

Hughes 500s are the main small machine used for hunting, and they are awesokme machines.
Also use "Squirrels" alot here, what you call a Astar or Eurocopter AS350 I think, they are great machines as well, and I think the only machine to land on Mt Everest

JP100

WKR
For those wondering 'why' this was how all of our deer farming industry in NZ began.

This was mainly during the 70s and into the 80s.

Live capture was the only way people could get deer in those days, they used tranq darts, nets, live traps and bull dogging.

I think the early tranq was not good, lost alot of animals in the bush(and some may have died due to complications aswell)

Net guns are great, but can be troublesome on bigger stags(and we had to invent net guns first haha, they didnt exist before this)

Bull dogging was cheap, and 'easy'.........and it worked.....