This is why our Deer numbers are down!

This is our problem, lions protected, bears you can't use hounds anymore, and the coyotes not enough people killing them.

Attachments

• Loin, Bear & Bobcat 002.jpg
    Loin, Bear & Bobcat 002.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Loin, Bear & Bobcat 003.jpg
    Loin, Bear & Bobcat 003.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 141
  • Cdy00002-002.JPG
    Cdy00002-002.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

USMC22

WKR
New Hampshire Fish and Game was urging people in their hunters safety course to hunt bear. We’ve had them on our porch the last few years and a neighbor had one break into his house through a screened porch. I got a bear tag for this year...

Cornbore

FNG
Got my cougar tag but coyotes the only real problem around here. Well except for excessive tags issued for deer.

danarnold

WKR
Front porch in Colorado

af277d535e9d76dff37d7b7c0b6d5060.jpg

Jasper17

FNG
In AZ you can't kill coyotes fast enough and then throw in the mexican gray wolf and our Game and Fish dept. selling way too many tags is also a huge problem.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
another issue with coyotes is people educate them. even if i call one in, unless i have a "gauranteed" lethal hit i wont take the shot. Ive hunted with people who will take pop shots on running yotes after they winded us.

to me its stupid, yea, they caught wind and are leaving. they dont necessarily associate the call with the smell, you take some shots at them and they know instantly...... educated coyotes are hard to kill coyotes.

Many people don’t realize that bears kill as many or more fawns than coyotes. I always have a bear tag every season.
I won’t hesitate to shoot a coyote even while I’m deer hunting.

bushwalt

FNG
In most states only the mountain lion can drastically impact deer numbers. And typically they make a kill in one area then move several (sometimes 10+) miles away and kill again the next week. In most states and most units human harvest takes a much larger toll than lions. Roadkill is also a major problem.

Coyotes might take a deer or 2 but very infrequently and black bear only get fawns during a week or so period when the fawns are just born. If you want to blame reduced deer numbers on something, look at humans and vehicles first. Go talk to local game biologists and game wardens and recommend an end to antlerless tags.

Top predators are crucial to the health of a system. They belong there but humans don't like competition so we invent myths about them to justify our attempts at extermination.

I'm an avid deer and elk hunter and I understand that predators have their place too. Go out and hunt cougar and bear with the same enthusiasm as deer and you'll see some success. Great pictures too!

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
In most states only the mountain lion can drastically impact deer numbers. And typically they make a kill in one area then move several (sometimes 10+) miles away and kill again the next week. In most states and most units human harvest takes a much larger toll than lions. Roadkill is also a major problem.

Coyotes might take a deer or 2 but very infrequently and black bear only get fawns during a week or so period when the fawns are just born. If you want to blame reduced deer numbers on something, look at humans and vehicles first. Go talk to local game biologists and game wardens and recommend an end to antlerless tags.

Top predators are crucial to the health of a system. They belong there but humans don't like competition so we invent myths about them to justify our attempts at extermination.

I'm an avid deer and elk hunter and I understand that predators have their place too. Go out and hunt cougar and bear with the same enthusiasm as deer and you'll see some success. Great pictures too!

id love to hunt cougars. i dont have hounds any tips on getting started without the? I know they are in the vegas area, was on a search once and we walked down a path, coming back there were prints inside ours.... odesnt take a genius to know we were being stalked and at the mercy of a cat...

bushwalt

FNG
id love to hunt cougars. i dont have hounds any tips on getting started without the? I know they are in the vegas area, was on a search once and we walked down a path, coming back there were prints inside ours.... odesnt take a genius to know we were being stalked and at the mercy of a cat...

I don't doubt the cat came to investigate. I've been followed on more than one occasion and don't really want to know how many times I've been within pouncing distance. However lions have only fatally attacked 25-30 people in ALL of north America since 1900. Meanwhile stinging insects fatally sting more than 50 people EVERY year in the US alone. Anaphylaxis is scary. It's really a waste of time to worry about cougars attacking an adult unless you're covered in a brown furry coat and are on all fours mimicking a deer. In that case I'd be very worried.

If you want to hunt cougar NV law permitting, buy a remote electronic calling system, like a FoxPro. I have a couple friends who kill cougars every couple years in OR using these. One buddy has killed 6 cats in the last 10 years with this method. It can be effective under the right conditions. I'm sure there are other folks on here that have used calls with success on longtails.

cmahoney

WKR
This is our problem, lions protected, bears you can't use hounds anymore, and the coyotes not enough people killing them.

Along with way too many deer tags issued. Non resident Bear tags are almost $300 so I won’t buy them. Reducing that price would be an easy fix to add some bears to the quota that isn’t met every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
I was driving and slowed to almost a stop when I saw a doe cross the road in front of me like her hiney was on fire. Then I saw a coyote running her. A few seconds later and just a little bit further down the road, another coyote also crossed and was also no doubt running her. Predation is definitely part of the equation. As always though nothing holds a candle to disease and harsh conditions.

WKR
Numerous studies have shown mountain lions are killing on average 2 deer a week. We have something like 8,000 cats in Colorado. Even if it is 1.5 deer per week, its a helluva lot of deer. The number of cats need to be reduced here. And apparently parks and rec thinks the bears need to be reduced as they dropped the cost of bear tags and issued a ton more of them. So pontificate about road kill and human impacts all you want, the reality is our predator numbers are way too high.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Uncontrolled predators can obviously be an issue, but why does no one want to talk about habitat degradation by urban sprawl, oil, and added pressure from winter activities (hiking, snowmobiling, shed hunting, etc)? Obviously the last one is being controlled to some degree (shed hunting bans). I'd wager winter kills more game animals than predators do, even combined.

There are some special circumstances where predators are a driving force, but more often than not it is habitat degradation, specifically in areas where the animals would winter.