This is your guide. How much do you tip?

First arrow appears to be a clean miss (low) and second arrow is a bit too far back and anything but a pass thru (musta hit bone cuz the bear is very close). This bear may not be mortally wounded. He is pissed and once he gets downwind, he wants payback. The guide nails the bear's CNS at the exact moment the head is down revealing the opportune shot. Cool under pressure, he stoically dispatches the brown bear a half second before taking a hit. I can watch this video 100 times. Pretty sure the client needed a base layer change. LOL

Grizzly is 10' 4" and over 1400lbs of fury...but the guide's balls were his equal. So what do you tip this guy? I'd feel obliged to send him a tip every year after cuz it was a year I wouldn't have had without him. Makes that sidearm you carry seem puny doesn't it?

Bow hunting bear is about the most terrifying thing i can think of. Seriously what can compare to that? (going to war i suppose)

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
That guide has coconut balls! Impressive! He earned his tip this time no doubt! As the archery hunter I don't think I'd feel right calling that bear mine - even though I'm sure the mount or rug ended up at his house. Both of his shots were obviously not the desired outcome.

Mt Al

WKR
Big old clanking pair on that guide, roomy pants. HUGE tip, like the weight of the bear each year for a few years.

Trial153

WKR
Looked like the hunter was Jim William's, however I dont recall him shooting a compound, so it probably isnt him.
Though it's not not how you want to turn out, the guide sure did his job

OP
Where's Bruce?
Does make me second guess my desire to bowhunt a bear like that. Perhaps that .375h&h I’ve been thinking about buying would be more appropriate.

As for a tip well I’m thinking a portion of my wages for life.

It has made me rethink my desire to take a brown with a recurve...and go with a compound. Gotta trust the back-up right? Clearly nobody wants to injure a bear and have their guide kill it...and I gotta give the hunter credit for even allowing the video footage to get out. As you...I would not feel good about that hunt, especially screwing up such a close shot. But it happens and perhaps the smell of that bear got to the hunter. <g>

I know what it's like to owe your existence to another who saved your life. It sticks with you in a peculiar way. Unquestioningly with resilience. When you believe this is it...this is how I die, then someone prevents it, you carry a debt you will never fully repay and a bond that cannot be broken. Sure hope I don't choke when my Yogi is in range.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Looked like the hunter was Jim William's, however I dont recall him shooting a compound, so it probably isnt him.
Though it's not not how you want to turn out, the guide sure did his job
It is Jim Willems. He is a good friend of my uncles. Super nice guy and a well accomplished archer, but as you mentioned usually shoots traditional

Michael54

WKR
If i was that guide that would probably be my last day of work. And hopefully i had a clean pair of underwear in my pack. No way im gonna stand beside a stranger that i just met that close to a bear that big and hope like hell he doesn't miss on a chip shot. That could have ended badly. But man the balls on that guy....