This just in... AZ unit 27 youth deer

gburk

WKR
I just got back to Texas after 6 weeks in upstate NY on Covid holiday to find an Arizona unit 27 youth only deer tag for my son sitting in the pile of unopened mail. I had previously confirmed over the phone without any doubt that we were awarded a grand total of zero AZ tags this year, but clearly a mistake was made (to the extent that I’ve also bought leftover Colorado youth cow elk tags for the same period)
If anyone has any general advice on the unit for deer during oct 9-15, if you’d send me a PM or response I’d appreciate it! Feeling like I’ve been caught flat footed!

dtrkyman

WKR
Lot's of deer in big rugged country.

The archery opener was a chit show of road hunter's and ignorance. Several guys pulled right in while I was getting ready and just headed in, no hello, no hey which way you headed.

Saw multiple people bail out of their trucks and run across the highway with an arrow nocked, one group clearly after a herd of Elk, not Elk season!

On the other hand I ran into several typical hunters, gracious and friendly! Also had a chat with the local warden for an hour or so, good guy.

I have only been there in early or late season so not sure how different it would be in Oct. killing a deer with a rifle should be achievable, killing something mature will be a challenge.

Super thick in areas from the Wallow fire in 2011, I doubt many large bucks move more than a couple hundred yards in daylight up in the high country anyway.

Glass and more glass is key.

Pm. me if you would like any specifics.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
The archery opener was a chit show of road hunter's and ignorance. Several guys pulled right in while I was getting ready and just headed in, no hello, no hey which way you headed.

I can second this for unit 27.. I had a spring turkey tag in there this year, while I was parked at the trailhead getting my headlamp and pack all adjusted a SXS hauled ass maybe 30 yards up from me, park and a dad and couple boys jump out and scramble to get ready, I just started up the trail and said good morning with no response

OP
gburk

gburk

WKR
There’s no excuse for incivility, sorry to hear that.

For October I’m expecting reclusive bucks showing themselves only at dawn and dusk

WoollyBug

FNG
Not too sure about deer, but there have been good elk spotted around the burns over there.

DFB

FNG
If you’re a backpacker hit the Blue and you can avoid 99.9% of other hunters. It’s rough country and hard to hunt but the deer are in there. I hunt otc in there every year and have seen exactly 2 hunters in over a mile from the trailheads.

haven’t hunted in there but have hiked and camped and seen pretty good deer off the beaten path that time of year. otc archery has been pretty wild so far this year here.

OP
gburk

gburk

WKR
If you’re a backpacker hit the Blue and you can avoid 99.9% of other hunters. It’s rough country and hard to hunt but the deer are in there. I hunt otc in there every year and have seen exactly 2 hunters in over a mile from the trailheads.
I own a backpack but must not be a backpacker... what’s the blue? Haha thanks

DFB

FNG
The Blue River Primitive area. It’s managed as a Wilderness so there’s no roads or motor vehicles allowed. It’s about 200,000 acres and it’s as rough a country as you’ll find. I say you’ll need to go on you back because it’s pretty remote and it’s roughness doesn’t lend itself to out and back trips to the truck. PM me and I’ll share what I know.

Mountainman7

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking for a legal deer, it’s doable. Always see lots of spikes and forks with the does during archery.

Send me a message i am more then happy to help i live in the southern part of 27 Andy do a lot of running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgibson

FNG
I second this. I feed horses all year so I don't have to backpack it, but come January I leave the horses at home and put on the hiking boots. Either way, rarely do we ever see more than a couple people, if anyone, back in there and always find deer... eventually.