Thompson Center Compass in 300 win mag

So being from Ohio where we can't hunt with rifles, I was looking at getting a TC Compass in 300 win mag for hunting out West. Don't want to spend a fortune on it because it's not something I'll be able to use throughout the season here in OH. Read ALOT of good and bad reviews on it. Anybody hunt elk with this rifle? Thanks

I don't know how it compares to the Venture, but if it is close you can't beat them for value. I have a Venture, and it shoots Barnes 168 TTSX into a half inch group at 100 yards. I love the stock, love the trigger, and only negative I have is the removable magazine although some prefer to have a removable mag.

Last edited:
Price wise and for your use a ruger american, TC compass, Mossberg patriot, savage axis etc all will do what you want.

They will all probably get you to 400 and maybe past. The Ruger might be the best option out of the box but is usually a little more than the others. The savage put into a boyds stock might get the best accuracy eventually (read after some work).

A Tikka or Xbolt might be a little more to start but if you resell it, it will probably make up the difference.

I think people forget about the secondary market or are worried they wont be able to sell a rifle. If you buy a Christensen Mesa at 1200 and sell it 3 years from now for 800 then your cost is still only 400 and you got a better rifle for that time and if you keep it 20 years then it was probably worth it.

I also understand the funds are tight now and just getting into the game as well aspect as well.

Agree with the post above. Also would mention you certainly don't need a magnum to hunt out west. If this is your only center fire rifle you might be better served with a 270/280/06 - a little lighter to lug around and a bit easier to shoot well. Don't get me wrong, 300 WM is a great caliber. FWIW although I own a 300wsm and a 35whelen, most of the big game I've taken over the years (deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, mt. goat) were with a 6.5x55.....