Thomson Outfitters - Pinedale Area - Unit 95

270quest

WKR
Hey guys, really thinking hard about cashing in my elk points and doing a hunt in area 95 with Thomsen Outfitters. Been talking with Todd over there and he seems like straight shooter. Just looking to see if anyone had anything good or bad to report about his outfit? Or anything on elk hunting unit 95. Looks like we would be in the Bridger wilderness, so have to use a guide.

Todd is a standup guy, I met him in AZ in the winter. 110% would recommend Todd’s business! I have not hunted with him but as a fellow outfitter I back Todd and his outfit. CANNOT go wrong with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Appreciate the feedback...Based on his website and Fb - lots of good reviews and some nice elk being killed by his clients....Think I am going to go for it.

Google his name. Also Google the name of his outfit. You can never go wrong doing that. As for the unit it’s as good as anywhere else in that region which is good. Good luck!

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a few pictures of 95 in 2018. Did some fishing before an elk hunt. Part of our “altitude acclimation”;) we weren’t hunting this unit though. Just fishing and taking in the scenes.

Watched about a dozen elk thru spotter that we’re feeding bout 5 miles away. Just to the right of the pine tree in foreground and atop the closer ridge.

537829d168b42b34bde99e2b29c66599.jpg

1917c40e01fca46134fddba68999e575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Well, I booked - deposit sent in. Just hoping I draw now - odds are very high, but not 100%. If not, it will roll into 2023.

Well, I booked - deposit sent in. Just hoping I draw now - odds are very high, but not 100%. If not, it will roll into 2023.
Which camp are you hunting and what dates? Limited Quota or General Season hunt?

I took a 6x5 Sept 21 (Second day of the Type 1 season) with them out of the Star Lake Camp in Unit 98.
Had a 6x6 at 40 yards the day before but could not get a shot through the burned out/blown down timber.

I would absolutely hunt with Todd again.

PM me if you want to chat. I could maybe help you with a gear list, especially if you are doing a pack in hunt (which I did)

Last edited:
OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Which camp are you hunting and what dates? Limited Quota or General Season hunt?

I took a 6x5 Sept 21 (Second day of the Type 1 season) with them out of the Star Lake Camp in Unit 98.
Had a 6x6 at 40 yards the day before but could not get a shot through the burned out/blown down timber.

I would absolutely hunt with Todd again.

PM me if you want to chat. I could maybe help you with a gear list, especially if you are doing a pack in hunt (which I did)

I am going to the Green River Camp - last part of October into Nov. This tag takes around 6 points to draw.

I have hunted elk on horseback and in the wilderness here in Idaho for many years - I think I am dialed in as far as gear goes, but thanks for the offer.

The only thing I may really look into is a compact 44 mag double action revolver to carry for bears.

I am going to the Green River Camp - last part of October into Nov. This tag takes around 6 points to draw.

I have hunted elk on horseback and in the wilderness here in Idaho for many years - I think I am dialed in as far as gear goes, but thanks for the offer.

The only thing I may really look into is a compact 44 mag double action revolver to carry for bears.
I would not bother with the revolver personally. When I hunted there were 3 guides in camp. One carried a 454 Casull, one carried a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun and the other carried nothing and just told me that if we see a grizz coming at us "just shoot him in the F'ing face with your 300 Wby". Reason #987 to always carry your rifle set on the lowest scope setting until you need to dial it up.

I didn't ask what would happen if the grizz jumped us and knocked me down before I could shoot LOL

But honestly, in Todd's Units, Grizz are present but not thick. We did not see one nor even any sign of one. But there is no doubt there are some. Certainly doesn't hurt if you don't mind carrying a .44 around, but I would not bother if my guide was carrying some bear medicine and I had my rifle.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Yes,

I drew and will be there 10/28-11/3. I am going to carry my 10mm on my chest holster like I do here in Idaho's backcountry.

Yes,

I drew and will be there 10/28-11/3. I am going to carry my 10mm on my chest holster like I do here in Idaho's backcountry.
Good luck on your hunt!

Don't be this guy. He was trying to pull his 10MM and shot himself in the leg first, then was able send the bear running, probably after hitting the bear.

It was a little north of where you will be.

LRJammer

FNG
I Just finished a rifle hunt with Thomson outfitters myself and felt I my experience with them justifies commentary.

Before booking my hunt, I had a telephone conversation with Todd to get a feel for his demeanor and as a few questions. One of those questions was about what size of a pack he felt would be necessary. I have a medium sized frame pack, but was pretty sure it was more than needed for a horseback hunt. He said that most any normal daypack would be sufficient so that is what I purchased. I made my deposit and shortly after the 1st of the year, I sent him a check for the special access tag that is roughly 2x a normal non-resident tag. Shortly thereafter I made a payment for the 1st half of my balance. In mid July, I got an envelope from him about the upcoming hunt in the fall. Within that was a document stating that any backpacks that were carried during the day needed to be less than 10 lbs! His reasoning is that the extra weight was wearing down his animals! The real irony is that most of his animals are rented, not owned by him. With even a fairly lightweight pack, just add a little bit of water, and you are over ten pounds! To say I was alarmed by this is an understatement. We had the discussion around this subject without any word of that, but once he had my deposit, burned my 6 points, and half of the remaining balance, suddenly he drops this BS on us! At this point, he had my money and my points were now gone and I had no recourse.

When asked about it, his only response was an absolutely arrogant statement that "Nobody needs a backpack to hunt elk" and if you need a backpack, you probably shouldnt be hunting elk! Apparently he saw himself as the sole arbiter of what everyone does and doesnt need on a hunt, as if everyone's needs are all the same! I had worked out and trained all summer with trekking poles as I have bad knees and they really helped me a lot. There were a few items I had practiced shooting with all summer that I had planned for. I had the Quick Stix attachment for my trekking poles and a lightweight pair of shooting sticks for quick, impromptu shots. Things that like those are absolutely needed in country were a 500+ yd shot is commonplace.

When I went to go on my hunt, I had paired my pack down to a bare minimum with water in a Nalgene bottle to go into the horse's saddle bags. When my guide (Todd's brother. All of the guides in the camp were either his brothers or nephews) sees my pack on the first morning and throws an absolute temper tantrum! Only when I suggested that he take a breath and attempt to engage in an adult conversation did he finally calm down and reveal what was apparently the newest decree from Todd: No backpacks allowed, at all! Period! If he had made that restriction clearly up front, I would have simply moved on to another outfitter without a second thought, but that is NOT what he did.

At this point, I more or less knew that there was virtually nothing that I could do. He had manipulated the circumstances so that it was too late to do anything about it. To stay that Todd is NOT a stand-up guy is a dramatic understatement. Everyone was reduced to what they could carry in their clothing pockets and bino packs. No exceptions. I know of several guys that had no choice to make marginal shots because they were in a position with no support for shots. Even worse, the guides were not permitted to carry spotting scopes or shooting sticks either! I was very temped to not tip the guide after his little temper tantrum but in the end, I decided not to punish him for Todd's chicken shit behavior. The camp jack and horse wrangler were good guys that I was also happy to tip. I know of another hunter in camp that was also much less than impressed by the experience that did tip what he thought was appropriate given all of the other issues and got the honor of getting his ass chewed out by Todd because he didnt think he tipped him enough! Pretty insane given that his restrictions contributed to the problems that resulted in that. Apparently he chooses to ignore his written word when in suits his needs as he did with the backpacks, as well as the tipping that was ostensibly "Entirely Optional"!

To say that I will not be hunting with Thomson Outfitters again is a dramatic understatement. I just hope this is able to help others avoid these issues.

Last edited:
I Just finished a rifle hunt with Thomson outfitters myself and felt I my experience with them justifies commentary.

Before booking my hunt, I had a telephone conversation with Todd to get a feel for his demeanor and as a few questions. One of those questions was about what size of a pack he felt would be necessary. I have a medium sized frame pack, but was pretty sure it was more than needed for a horseback hunt. He said that most any normal daypack would be sufficient so that is what I purchased. I made my deposit and shortly after the 1st of the year, I sent him a check for the special access tag that is roughly 2x a normal non-resident tag. Shortly thereafter I made a payment for the 1st half of my balance. In mid July, I got an envelope from him about the upcoming hunt in the fall. Within that was a document stating that any backpacks that were carried during the day needed to be less than 10 lbs! His reasoning is that the extra weight was wearing down his animals! The real irony is that most of his animals are rented, not owned by him. With even a fairly lightweight pack, just add a little bit of water, and you are over ten pounds! To say I was alarmed by this is an understatement. We had the discussion around this subject without any word of that, but once he had my deposit, burned my 6 points, and half of the remaining balance, suddenly he drops this BS on us! At this point, he had my money and my points were now gone and I had no recourse.

When asked about it, his only response was an absolutely arrogant statement that "Nobody needs a backpack to hunt elk" and if you need a backpack, you probably shouldnt be hunting elk! Apparently he saw himself as the sole arbiter of what everyone does and doesnt need on a hunt, as if everyone's needs are all the same! I had worked out and trained all summer with trekking poles as I have bad knees and they really helped me a lot. There were a few items I had practiced shooting with all summer that I had planned for. I had the Quick Stix attachment for my trekking poles and a lightweight pair of shooting sticks for quick, impromptu shots. Things that like those are absolutely needed in country were a 500+ yd shot is commonplace.

When I went to go on my hunt, I had paired my pack down to a bare minimum with water in a Nalgene bottle to go into the horse's saddle bags. When my guide (Todd's brother. All of the guides in the camp were either his brothers or nephews) sees my pack on the first morning and throws an absolute temper tantrum! Only when I suggested that he take a breath and attempt to engage in an adult conversation did he finally calm down and reveal what was apparently the newest decree from Todd: No backpacks allowed, at all! Period! If he had made that restriction clearly up front, I would have simply moved on to another outfitter without a second thought, but that is NOT what he did.

At this point, I more or less knew that there was virtually nothing that I could do. He had manipulated the circumstances so that it was too late to do anything about it. To stay that Todd is NOT a stand-up guy is a dramatic understatement. Everyone was reduced to what they could carry in their clothing pockets and bino packs. No exceptions. I know of several guys that had no choice to make marginal shots because they were in a position with no support for shots. Even worse, the guides were not permitted to carry spotting scopes or shooting sticks either! I was very temped to not tip the guide after his little temper tantrum but in the end, I decided not to punish him for Todd's chicken shit behavior. The camp jack and horse wrangler were good guys that I was also happy to tip. I know of another hunter in camp that was also much less than impressed by the experience that did tip what he thought was appropriate given all of the other issues and got the honor of getting his ass chewed out by Todd because he didnt think he tipped him enough! Pretty insane given that his restrictions caused the problems that resulted in that. Apparently he chooses to ignore his written word when in suits his needs as he did with the backpacks, as well as the tipping that was ostensibly "Entirely Optional"!

To say that I will not be hunting with Thomson Outfitters again is a dramatic understatement. I just hope this is able to help others avoid these issues.
Did you kill an elk?

LRJammer

FNG
Did you kill an elk?
A small 4 pt. All of the bigger bulls were staying up high during legal light. This was the end of the season and they had seen lots of pressure. Weather was predicted for the last 2 days. Not sure how that was going to impact movement, I decided to at least secure some meat to take home.

mntnguide

WKR
Did you just write 3 paragraphs bitching about a backpack? ...FYI for your future hunts, maybe stick to ranch and lodge. Cause ANY horseback outfitter is going to limit your backpack weight or not let you ride with one at all. Do you know where a horses kidneys lie? Do you know anything about how to ride properly and keep weight off their back? I doubt it, therefore when you also are wearing a backpack causing you to sit in the saddle like a dead weight bag, it can easily bruise a horses kidneys, and leave them crippled for a long time... but you sound like the type of guy who could care less about the health of the animal who carried your ass all day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Did you just write 3 paragraphs bitching about a backpack? ...FYI for your future hunts, maybe stick to ranch and lodge. Cause ANY horseback outfitter is going to limit your backpack weight or not let you ride with one at all. Do you know where a horses kidneys lie? Do you know anything about how to ride properly and keep weight off their back? I doubt it, therefore when you also are wearing a backpack causing you to sit in the saddle like a dead weight bag, it can easily bruise a horses kidneys, and leave them crippled for a long time... but you sound like the type of guy who could care less about the health of the animal who carried your ass all day.
Haha

Not sure a couple nalgenes and a pair of trekking poles in a jansport makes the difference of bruised kidneys or not, but doubting that one. Sounds like you might have a dog in this fight though so carry on.

LRJammer

FNG
Reading is fundamental sir. Limiting weight within reason is one thing, but no disclosure of that, and then eliminating them altogether is another. As I said, the issue was that he did not disclose any of that until after he had taken my money and used my points. I little honest communication goes a long way. Make all the assumptions about me that you like, but your doing so without any knowledge says nothing about me.

Last edited: