Thor bullet consistency?

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
I bought myself a new Accura V2 NW last winter and along with it, a sample pack of Thor's. The .500 was way loose and the .501 would not go down the barrel. Flash forward to now I finally got around to ordering some. Not knowing which way to go I ordered 2 packs of .500 and 2 packs of
.501. packaged arrived tonight and I went to start a .500 thinking it would be loose again but the exact opposite. It was tight. Like so tight I hardly got it out.

What is up with that? Barnes and SST sabots go down just fine. On the tighter side but not overly. My trusty black widow venoms slid down with ease.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I wonder if the package was misslabeled although I tried one from each package and they were both way too tight.

My mic is not accurate enough to be able to get a good read.

Any thoughts? I was really hoping to try out the Thor's but it may not work in that gun.

Do guys lube these bullets?

My barrel is as clean as new.

Thanks for reading!!

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

flagman

FNG
I shot these about 7 years go when I was shooting an original Michigan Ultimate Muzzleloader 50 cal. They will shoot very well in a firm loading situation. I had a shop moly coat mine and that did the trick for loading on a clean barrel. I was using 4 Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and getting 2200 FPS and sub moa groups scoped Rifle. I ordered a 50 cal Swinglock smooth die to get the exact size Bullets I wanted. I have moved on to 45 cal and sold my die with the rifle. I now hear that a lot of 50 cal shooters are having great success with fury bullets. I like the Thor’s and when I decide to burn my 21 Colorado elk points I will most likely give them a try again. If you’re not at max recomended load for your rifle, I would try that as they need pressure to slug up in the rifling IMO, flagman.

OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
I shot these about 7 years go when I was shooting an original Michigan Ultimate Muzzleloader 50 cal. They will shoot very well in a firm loading situation. I had a shop moly coat mine and that did the trick for loading on a clean barrel. I was using 4 Pyrodex 50 gr pellets and getting 2200 FPS and sub moa groups scoped Rifle. I ordered a 50 cal Swinglock smooth die to get the exact size Bullets I wanted. I have moved on to 45 cal and sold my die with the rifle. I now hear that a lot of 50 cal shooters are having great success with fury bullets. I like the Thor’s and when I decide to burn my 21 Colorado elk points I will most likely give them a try again. If you’re not at max recomended load for your rifle, I would try that as they need pressure to slug up in the rifling IMO, flagman.
Thank you that is good info! That sizing die is very interesting. With that die...You purchase a .50 cal die and then adjust as necessary? Or do you order exactly what you need? Lets assume my bullets need to be .4995?

Something I did learn is you can buy custom sized Thors. So I have a couple .499 coming to test out. Hopefully they fit right and are not too loose!

flagman

FNG
The die by Swinglock.net is adjustable. If the .499 are two small, you can get 2 files and knurl the bullet very lightly by rolling the bullet between the fils on a metal surface to increase the size. Be careful as it doesn’t take much knurl to size up the bullet, the key here is to get get a consistent size. There’s a custom muzzy builder that provides bullets to clients where only the shoulder of bullet is knurled and upon firing the bullet will “slug” up in the rifling, works fine for jacketed bullets like the Parkers and ASG bullets, but for copper bullets it’s a Little tricky as they’re harder, not having a lead core, flagman

Berger024

WKR
I bought mine in 2013 and was given a small plastic test tube with 4 different-sized THOR's with color-coded dots on the bottom. I sized them and ordered them accordingly. I did experience the same issue with loading, sometimes they were extremely tight. Possibly from it being slightly canted when loading at the muzzle? I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I guess it could have been the tolerances on a few of them being off.

SDHNTR

WKR
Have you tried their Lightning series? Supposed to be one size fits all

OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried their Lightning series? Supposed to be one size fits all
I was tempted but the guys had Muzzle-loader.com said that if a .500 wont fit than a lighting will def not fit as I believe it is for a .501-.503

OP
Kiddross

Kiddross

Lil-Rokslider
I bought mine in 2013 and was given a small plastic test tube with 4 different-sized THOR's with color-coded dots on the bottom. I sized them and ordered them accordingly. I did experience the same issue with loading, sometimes they were extremely tight. Possibly from it being slightly canted when loading at the muzzle? I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I guess it could have been the tolerances on a few of them being off.
That is the tough part...The sample .500 was way loose. like slide down barrel loose. The .501 was way tight like use a hammer on ram rod tight. So I ordered both .500 and .501 but once I got the actual bullets the .500 was like hammer on ramrod tight. Muzzle-loaders.com did state the have heard the sample rounds are generally on the smaller side.

eltaco

WKR
I had some similar problems with Thor sizing, and ended up with Fury Universal Fits. Shot them out to 300yds and they are absolutely outstanding at the range. I’ve only had them on one hunt but took down my bull elk at 80yds with one well placed shot.

I’d highly recommend giving the Fury’s a shot and putting this sizing issue behind you.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I just set up my Optima shooting Thors. I used their sizing pack and the .500 seemed to be right on with a clean barrel--it made perfectly etched rifle grooves on the bullet. After a shot or two it sure got tough to load them! On the other hand, they shoot awesome so I think I'm going to stick with them.

born2kill

FNG
Have shot Thors for many years. The sample kit put me on the .502 bullets. They have loaded consistently and shot great since then. Stocked piled up on them years ago, so have not ordered in years. Curious on the Lightening bullets though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be something off with your sizing pack. My buddy was having similar issues a few months ago. He called in and they said something about the sizing pack. They sent a new one and it fixed the problem. I think some of the sizing packs had the bullets mislabeled or something.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider