Thor bullet results in elk camp CO

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I have been ML hunting elk well over 10 years now and taken several bulls....and lost a couple also unfortunately. I've used different combos of Powerbelts, Thors, from 247 grain to 348 grain and T7 and Blackhorn 209 powders I've recovered nearly every bullet and never recall a pass through from 40 yards to 170 yards. Muzzleloader bullets moving slow muzzleloader speeds are designed to expand and create a big wound channel. Elk are big tough animals plain and simple. One year, I hit a bull 7 times (!) with good shots standing broadside at 98 yards with 348 gr PowerBelts. He was hurt after the first shot, but stayed on his feet standing there, sucking up each successive hit before finally going down with the shot from my last speed loader. I stopped using PBs after that and switch to Thors. I've had both excellent and poor results with them. I honestly feel there is no rhyme or reason when it comes to ML bullets.

cgasner1

WKR
Never found my Thor bullet this year but the bull dropped in his track buddies found his bullet on the far side pretty impressed with the performance looking forward to using them on some deer this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Try 600 grains of lead it will take a huge bull and hitting solid solid bone to not get a pass through. I use them for everything from prairie dogs to elk (will use for moose if Colorado ever gives me a tag)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shoot no excuses, bullshop, Ed’s conicals from modern muzzleloader, and home cast.

Do you use BH209 with those 600gr No Excuses.........if so how much, and what's the recoil like with those compared to something like the 250gr Thor? And what kind of arc is there from muzzle to 100? Can't imagine needing to shoot past 50 during the rut, but should be prepared for out to 100.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot plunger guns so no bh, I sight in at 100 and not sure of exact inches of arch but your good 0-150 on elk lungs hit about 4 inches below point of aim at 138 this year. My gun likes 85 grains by volume of 777fff, recoil is far less than you would expect from a 600 grain bullet but really it’s a muzzleloader they are fairly heavy and low pressure even with stout charges.

I can only find no excuses. Bullshop does not seem to exist any more.

O yes they do a friend just got an order from them.

The web site is difficult to navigate. Select the More topic near the top of the page.

This link will get you to the 50 cal bullets.

Bullshop Dan doesn't really do much with a computer his wife manages that and probably does the shipping Dan is the builder. :)

One of the really good things - Dan will size them to your request and the NASA lube that he uses is 'the best'

Stalker69

WKR
You click on more and yes it shows you 54 cal, mountain molds etc etc . But it don’t do any thing else. You can’t click on any of them to see them let alone order them. The only place it will take you is to gun broker, and it says something on the lines of unavailable. There is no phone number to reach them or anything else. They show a lot of 50 cal offerings but still no way to order or get in touch with them.

Last edited:
You click on more and yes it shows you 54 cal, mountain molds etc etc . But it don’t do any thing else. You can’t click on any of them to see them let alone order them. The only place it will take you is to gun broker, and it says something on the lines of unavailable. There is no phone number to reach them or anything else. They show a lot of 50 cal offerings but still no way to order or get in touch with them.

You are correct... to make contact Click on ABOUT that will take you to an email box... Like I was saying his site is a challenge to navigate. Bullet pricing is is at the top of the list of bullets.

His email addy is [email protected]

bullshopBullets.jpg

Stalker69

WKR
I need 54 cal. it looks as though he offers one, but seems kinda lite on the weight side. Any one have a picture of the 54 cal. Bullet he offers ? Not sure I want to buy, 100 to find out.

Honestly, I wonder how ethical ML seasons on animals as big as elk really are. Yes, yes, I know - lots of dead elk to show for it - but honestly I think some days a bow is more effective than a full bore ML bullet going 1500 fps.
I have had the same thought cross my mind with regard to using archery tackle to hunt elk. One needs only surf YTube to watch numerous vids showcasing archery elk hunts where elk are hit and not recovered or meat is lost because the animal was not recovered in a timely fashion. But that's "ok, because if you archery hunt you have to expect to lose an occasional animal"...
I have personally witnessed three bulls meet their fate from heavy lead bullets. All were one shot kills. Two had exit wounds. One went 100 yards max after shot; other two pretty much fell at the shot.
Limited observation but hard to argue the effectiveness of a weapon that has the same ballistics as the weapons that were used to drive the American Bison to near extinction.....

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the same thought cross my mind with regard to using archery tackle to hunt elk. One needs only surf YTube to watch numerous vids showcasing archery elk hunts where elk are hit and not recovered or meat is lost because the animal was not recovered in a timely fashion. But that's "ok, because if you archery hunt you have to expect to lose an occasional animal"...
I have personally witnessed three bulls meet their fate from heavy lead bullets. All were one shot kills. Two had exit wounds. One went 100 yards max after shot; other two pretty much fell at the shot.
Limited observation but hard to argue the effectiveness of a weapon that has the same ballistics as the weapons that were used to drive the American Bison to near extinction.....

What about the rifle shots at ranges too long for the shooter, wind conditions, or weapon? All weapons can fail to kill an animal quickly with marginal shots.

What about the rifle shots at ranges too long for the shooter, wind conditions, or weapon? All weapons can fail to kill an animal quickly with marginal shots.
Very true statement. I believe there is an inherent margin for error in all methods of take for elk and I personally believe that margin for error is the least with archery tackle, as far as elk are concerned. The ego-maniacs that shoot at elk with rifles at obscene ranges are a whole other discussion. (and as you might guess I am not a fan of the practice)

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the margin for error with archery. My concern is hitting the shoulder although that isn't likely to be fatal compared to a gut shot that doesn't bleed and isn't trackable. You definitely won't find me in the long range hunting camp.

I don't like it when I can't find a dove that I saw hit the ground. I haven't lost a big game animal yet but I don't want to know that feeling. As I have more time to hunt, I know the odds of that increase.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, all methods of taking elk are subject to a lost animal, whether it be range, shot placement, environmental conditions etc. Based on my experience guiding hunters, being around my buddies that archery hunt, and finding other peoples' lost game archery hunting leaves the least amount of room for mistakes. 9 times out of 10, it is and arrow that leads to a lost animal or the cause of death on an elk carcass that I happen to randomly encounter in the field.