Thorofare Outfitters Sold

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Just received an email that Thorofare Outfitters (who I'm scheduled to hunt with in October) has been sold to a Rick Trizano? Anybody familiar with him? Kind of worried as I finally spent the money to go on my dream hunt only for everything to change outside of my control.

They should have told you the business was up for sale. To give you a heads up, technically based on the average contract you signed,
You signed with the business not the owner. So they could literally sell to some guy that’s never seen an elk and your contract is through the business not the owner ( unless otherwise stated) but imo little low to sell out and not tell the clients they were even selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Yea that's why I'm searching for any information. Looks like he is starting the business Constant Quest Outfitters and rolling Thorofare's assests/clients into it. I booked with Thorofare based on the experiences members here told me about, not to be the first season guiding for a new company.

Wapiti1

WKR
Have you called him and talked with him. Find out if he's keeping the same guides and what if any changes are being made. Shouldn't take too long on the phone to figure out if this has gone south, or you'll have the same hunt you planned.

Jeremy

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Doing that today, just got the email late last night. Figured somebody here might know of them so posted here instinctively whether right or wrong first action.

Give him a call, usually if they change the name right away it’s because the business has a bad rep or the old owner doesn’t want the new owner ruining his reputation. When I bought my business o used my business name to buy it l, but kept the original name. I also personally called all of my clients to notify them and let them know who I was. Even though the old owner was gonna be there for the whole hunting season to help I wanted to start off right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I don't know him, but whenever someone becomes a new outfitter, they have to get licensed by the Wyo. Outfitters and Guides Assn. (state run/approved). You might go to their website and read the meeting minutes for the past several meetings and see if there was any discussion with/about him. The Assn. has minimum requirements before one can get licensed.

mntnguide

WKR
Id definitely suggest getting ahold of him and figuring things out. According to the 3 most recent outfitter board meeting reports, there is no report of Thorofare outfitters being sold, and no record of that individual applying for an outfitting license yet. The next meeting is June 19, so maybe that's when he will show up?... that being said, wasnt the previous owner a non-resident of Wyoming based on the contact phone number on the website? As someone who guided in the teton wilderness and head of the Thorofare, i would be pretty hesitant on going on a hunt with someone who doesn't have a 307 phone number. Lots of great outfitters in the wilderness who have been around for decades without ever changing hands up there. I hope the best for you, but that is definitely not a good thing if they sold the outfit without even giving notice to a already booked hunter about it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tntrker

WKR
wow, that's heart breaking! Hope it all works out and the phone call info puts you back at ease!

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Id definitely suggest getting ahold of him and figuring things out. According to the 3 most recent outfitter board meeting reports, there is no report of Thorofare outfitters being sold, and no record of that individual applying for an outfitting license yet. The next meeting is June 19, so maybe that's when he will show up?... that being said, wasnt the previous owner a non-resident of Wyoming based on the contact phone number on the website? As someone who guided in the teton wilderness and head of the Thorofare, i would be pretty hesitant on going on a hunt with someone who doesn't have a 307 phone number. Lots of great outfitters in the wilderness who have been around for decades without ever changing hands up there. I hope the best for you, but that is definitely not a good thing if they sold the outfit without even giving notice to a already booked hunter about it

Terry Dolan was one of the 3 owners of Thorofare and a Cody resident. He is staying on as the Outfitter of Record for all 2019 hunts. I believe the other two owners were out of Washington. I've reached out to new owners for some clarifications, but at the same time reached out and put my name on the list with Triangle X for 2022 hunt.

mntnguide

WKR
Gotcha..i am familiar with Dolans name so at least someone knows the country. I spent 5 years with the Triangle X... amazing family, country, and outfitter. I miss spending my falls in their camp killing big bulls. They just picked up an adjacent outfitters permits and camp giving them a vast monopoly in the western side of teton wilderness and will only improve what they already have

Just wondering, who sent you the email letting you know they sold? Was it Thorofare, or Rick Trizano ?? I think the new owner should reach out to you if he hasn't already. If he doesn't, he might not be aware of your booking, and the guy you booked with might not be in a hurry to refund your money. Good Luck !!

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
One of the old owners of Thorofare sent the email out to everybody already booked through them. I did receive a call Wednesday from the new owner, Rich Trizano, to talk about the purchase. Nothing at all is changing with any personnel running the actual hunt or anything about the camp. Only the ownership is changed. He did let me in on some possible upgrades coming in the future so I would not hesitate to book through them. Rick seemed like a first class guy who made it quite clear that he wouldn't have bought the outfit if Terry Dolan and the people running the actual hunt weren't staying on.

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted with Thorofare twice, killed nice bulls each time, and was supposed to go this year, but our group didn't draw with only 1 point each, so I rolled my deposit for a 2020 archery hunt with them. After I got my email informing of the sale, the next day Rick the new owner called me and said Terry Dolan is still gonna be running the show basically. Terry was my guide in 17 and is squared away and a top notch guide. Rick also said he's buying a ranch near the trail head in South Fork, so instead of staying in town the day before and day after the hunt, we can basically ride from the trail, tie up the horse and get a cold beer! I know I cannot wait to go back. I talked to Rick for a while and he sounds like a great guy and wants the best experience for his hunters. He's a passionate hunter so I'm sure I'll keep going back every chance I can get. That is the most amazing country to hunt elk in

Hunting in the Thoroughfare speaks for itself. My hope is to provide a quality animal to ride, passionate guides that share the full hunt experience with our hunters, top notch gear, comfortable camp, and good food. Terry Dolan has been hunting this area for over 20 years and is well know. We are lucky and humbled that he will continue to lead our camp. Next year, our goal is to invite our hunters to begin and end the hunt from our ranch on the upper south fork, instead of having to launch from their cars. More news about this will be available soon, but I am excited to provide a memorable experience for hunters daring to venture into the Thoroughfare! God Bless - Rick Trizano

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

Just returned from the hunt with Constant Quest and I can say that I would recommend them if you are looking for an 8 day Thorofare hunt. Stock was quality, camp was as comfortable as can be for Wyoming wilderness, food was quality, and guides very knowledgeable of the elk migration movements. We went through a big snow storm and 0 degree temps and were able to adjust our hunting to see elk everyday. Finally landed this 6x5 on the final day after letting a few nice 5x5's walk and getting busted by a nice 6x6 (didn't see a cow to my right...).

RSCN0973.JPG

PA Hunter

WKR
I have hunted with them twice was supposed to be on your hunt but didnt draw. These outfitters sell from time to time no big deal usually same guides stay on. Its not a big deal a d this place is a real hunt not a canned fast food hunt.