Thorofare Outfitters Wyoming

sneaky

"DADDY"
Six out of ten hunters didn’t draw this year second rifle with them I was one of them. Outfitter lost about $40,000 they were not happy. We even applied special the more expensive option $1,300 a tag. Learned my lesson always buy a point every year.
It's only going to get worse with point creep. You're most likely looking at a once every three year hunt going forward without paying the ridiculous $1300 special draw price. Some amazing country for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feare

FNG
It's only going to get worse with point creep. You're most likely looking at a once every three year hunt going forward without paying the ridiculous $1300 special draw price. Some amazing country for sure.

So a realistic plan for this unit would be 2022 with zero points currently. Sounds like a plan to save around $200 a month for three years to have what on all accounts is a great hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
So a realistic plan for this unit would be 2022 with zero points currently. Sounds like a plan to save around $200 a month for three years to have what on all accounts is a great hunt.

That would be a solid plan. Build enough points, pay the regular tag rate, and save over a long term and not have to eat it all at once. Sure wish I could follow that plan myself sometimes lol.

204guy

WKR
If you have zero points 2023 will probably be more realistic in the regular draw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feare

FNG
If you have zero points 2023 will probably be more realistic in the regular draw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Me not blowing $200 a month on stuff to save up for a hunt like this isn’t that likely either but a guy can dream can’t he?

PA Hunter

WKR
6 x 6 first time next trip freak snowstorm during bugle hunt I let my friend tag out first took him all week so I basically only had one day to hunt. I was only hunter not to tag out that trip out of ten hunters.

last year didn’t draw with 2 points.
I should also point out my friend who I let have the first shot totally blew two huge opportunities by not paying attention. Then while it was my turn he was jawing with the guide as we were on horses and I was the only one paying attention, well don’t I see the biggest bull of my life walking in open pasture right at us and I’m the only one seeing this. The bull spotted my guide as I’m trying to get off the horse and see ya later. Total heartbreak.

Damn.

I think they are called Hidden Creek Outfitters now, right? Bill Perry, etc

I talked to few references and one guy who has been several times with them told me your partner can definitely ruin your hunt. Not saying thats what you said, but I guess it comes with the 2x1 arrangement...its an extra variable that has to be accounted for at some point for better or for worse.

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
They are called Constant Quest Outfitters now. The family that bought the outfit are good people. Also bought a ranch near the trailhead so soon they will be offering more options for lodging etc I was told.

Ralphie

WKR
I guided for awhile in nearby country to this camp. I would be extremely hesitant to book a 2x1 hunt unless it was with a spouse, kid, maybe sibling and being together the entire time was the priority.

Yes, it works out and I tagged out two hunters on the same hunts, but if I was going on a hunt like this I wouldn’t want to be worrying about whose turn it was. I also had guys who were the designated shooter who couldn’t see the bull or who couldn’t get ready and it sure can cause some heartache. I would tell the other hunter to make sure he was ready too just in case and sometimes that came in handy.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
On this topic, anyone know what happened to Open Creek Outfitters out of Cody? I always used to see them on Sportsmans Warehouse sponsored stuff, TV shows from time to time, etc.....and I likely would have booked through them if I was doing a trip like this......Google says they permanently closed up??

280ack

FNG
That would be a solid plan. Build enough points, pay the regular tag rate, and save over a long term and not have to eat it all at once. Sure wish I could follow that plan myself sometimes lol.

I am confused (normal) I understand that the low cost or regular drawing doesnt consider preference points at all ? The high price drawing is the one that considers how many points you have going into the drawing ?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am confused (normal) I understand that the low cost or regular drawing doesnt consider preference points at all ? The high price drawing is the one that considers how many points you have going into the drawing ?
No, both draws go off of how many points you have. It's getting to the point (pun intended) that so many people are applying in the special draw trying to get a tag quicker that your odds are even, or a little better, just applying for the regular draw. Wyoming figured out a way to get people to pay twice as much money to hunt a year sooner.

PA Hunter

WKR
I guided for awhile in nearby country to this camp. I would be extremely hesitant to book a 2x1 hunt unless it was with a spouse, kid, maybe sibling and being together the entire time was the priority.

Yes, it works out and I tagged out two hunters on the same hunts, but if I was going on a hunt like this I wouldn’t want to be worrying about whose turn it was. I also had guys who were the designated shooter who couldn’t see the bull or who couldn’t get ready and it sure can cause some heartache. I would tell the other hunter to make sure he was ready too just in case and sometimes that came in handy.
I will never do a 2x1 again,I completely agree with you.

The primary difference is the assumption that the "special" draw allows you to compete with a smaller pool of applicants who are willing to pay more and in turn get better odds. As Sneaky said, it can actually work against you and you can pay more and get worse odds if a lot of people think they are going to get better odds by going in the special draw.

Wyoming-elk-regular-draw-vs-special-draw-tree-chart-new-2016_0.png

280ack

FNG
The outfitters your speaking of are on the east side of the Yellowstone river valley, has anyone hunted in that valley or along the Unit 70 boundaries ? Also how are the mule deer looking in unit 60 elk/115 deer ?

robtattoo

WKR
Man, I wish I could afford a guided hunt up in the Thorofare. I'll have the points for unit 60 next year, but no way could I swing 10grand for a hunt (including diesel, tips etc...) Shit, my truck didn't cost that much & I've been driving around in that for 11 years!

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
The outfitters your speaking of are on the east side of the Yellowstone river valley, has anyone hunted in that valley or along the Unit 70 boundaries ? Also how are the mule deer looking in unit 60 elk/115 deer ?
I saw some nice Muley's on my hunt with Constant Quest. I was told they were pretty erratic on numbers in the area, but I managed to glass a nice one almost everyday. This was on later season elk migration hunt.