Thorofare Report

Scorpion

WKR
That’s a great bull for the Thorofare. I hunted that area in 2020 for archery, we tagged out with two bulls pretty quickly.

The adventure of getting in through the Catwalk & Deer Creek pass is something else. We had lots of bear activity each day, including getting ran off a carcass at the end of quartering.

Special place for sure that I would highly recommend.

OP
E
That’s a great bull for the Thorofare. I hunted that area in 2020 for archery, we tagged out with two bulls pretty quickly.

The adventure of getting in through the Catwalk & Deer Creek pass is something else. We had lots of bear activity each day, including getting ran off a carcass at the end of quartering.

Special place for sure that I would highly recommend.
That’s awesome.

Awesome. I'm booked with Yellowstone Outfitters in '24 and can't wait. I'm reading every account like this I can find in the meantime. Thanks for the write up.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I'm booked with Yellowstone Outfitters in '24 and can't wait. I'm reading every account like this I can find in the meantime. Thanks for the write up.
What dates are you booked? We are booked for 24 as well September 28-October 5

What dates are you booked? We are booked for 24 as well September 28-October 5
That's the one. How many guys in your party? I'm alone. Called YO about future availability a few weeks back and they mentioned a single cancelation so I decided to burn my points.

I am not a regular here, but I have used and asked for information here. It will only be fair to contribute as well. I recently got back from my Wyoming elk hunt. Over a year ago I asked for advice on a real backcountry guided hunt for my 40th. I had several people recommend the Thorofare region of Wyoming. I was fortunate to be able to book a hunt with Constant Quest Outfitters out of Cody. Owners Rick and Nick Trizano, along with their whole crew were awesome. The country is wild and remote. Grizzlys were seen everyday by someone hunting in our group. I only saw one during my stay. The first day consists of a 7.5 hour ride on horses up over a pass and down into camp. Then you have 6 days to hunt. I hunted with another guy that I met there. We decided he would get the first opportunity to shoot the first day. That first morning was exciting with bulls bugling and coming in. I even had them bugling with my cow calls a few times. Unfortunately, my partner was never able to get a shot and the herd got spooked. We spent a good part of the day glassing and napping by a small fire. That afternoon we rode up to a ridge where our guide spotted a nice bull at 620 yards. My partner wasn't comfortable with the shot and I was given the opportunity. I had practiced a bunch all the way to 1025 yards the past few months. I set up and got comfortable, then made the shot. It wasn't perfect and we ended up having to track him probably a quarter mile or so where he decided to bleed out and fall down a shoot around 50 feet down. It made for an interesting evening of quartering and raising up. I'm very grateful for this bull and the meat that he provided. He seems to be an older bull with some character. He had a puncture through his shoulder which was probably from another antler. The butcher also had to cut out a bunch of scar tissue on one of the rear quarters from an old injury. This trip was all the adventure I could of ever imagined. I recommend it to anyone seeking a tough hunt. It by no means will be easy and you will get your butt kicked guaranteed. The live stock are incredible and will out hustle anything else you've ever seen. You go on trails that you wouldn't think a 1200 pound mule possibly get up. The day I shot my bull, we left at 6am and returned at 12am. Then woke up at 5am to go back out. I think everyone got an opportunity at a bull at some point. Some bulls were shot at and never hit. I highly recommend spending lots of time behind your rifle. Don't assume you're going to be ok. Make sure you know your drops at each distance. I'm still a novice and look forward to learning more before my next hunt. If you're looking into hunting the Thorofare, don't hesitate to call Nick at Constant Quest. I don't have other experiences with other guided hunts, but my time with them was very much enjoyed. Good Luck out there, Eric
Good info

Ill be archery hunting with them in a few weeks and am happy to share what i learn when i get back. Hoping the trip warrants a nice writeup for bowsite.