Thorofare Report

I am not a regular here, but I have used and asked for information here. It will only be fair to contribute as well. I recently got back from my Wyoming elk hunt. Over a year ago I asked for advice on a real backcountry guided hunt for my 40th. I had several people recommend the Thorofare region of Wyoming. I was fortunate to be able to book a hunt with Constant Quest Outfitters out of Cody. Owners Rick and Nick Trizano, along with their whole crew were awesome. The country is wild and remote. Grizzlys were seen everyday by someone hunting in our group. I only saw one during my stay. The first day consists of a 7.5 hour ride on horses up over a pass and down into camp. Then you have 6 days to hunt. I hunted with another guy that I met there. We decided he would get the first opportunity to shoot the first day. That first morning was exciting with bulls bugling and coming in. I even had them bugling with my cow calls a few times. Unfortunately, my partner was never able to get a shot and the herd got spooked. We spent a good part of the day glassing and napping by a small fire. That afternoon we rode up to a ridge where our guide spotted a nice bull at 620 yards. My partner wasn't comfortable with the shot and I was given the opportunity. I had practiced a bunch all the way to 1025 yards the past few months. I set up and got comfortable, then made the shot. It wasn't perfect and we ended up having to track him probably a quarter mile or so where he decided to bleed out and fall down a shoot around 50 feet down. It made for an interesting evening of quartering and raising up. I'm very grateful for this bull and the meat that he provided. He seems to be an older bull with some character. He had a puncture through his shoulder which was probably from another antler. The butcher also had to cut out a bunch of scar tissue on one of the rear quarters from an old injury. This trip was all the adventure I could of ever imagined. I recommend it to anyone seeking a tough hunt. It by no means will be easy and you will get your butt kicked guaranteed. The live stock are incredible and will out hustle anything else you've ever seen. You go on trails that you wouldn't think a 1200 pound mule possibly get up. The day I shot my bull, we left at 6am and returned at 12am. Then woke up at 5am to go back out. I think everyone got an opportunity at a bull at some point. Some bulls were shot at and never hit. I highly recommend spending lots of time behind your rifle. Don't assume you're going to be ok. Make sure you know your drops at each distance. I'm still a novice and look forward to learning more before my next hunt. If you're looking into hunting the Thorofare, don't hesitate to call Nick at Constant Quest. I don't have other experiences with other guided hunts, but my time with them was very much enjoyed. Good Luck out there, Eric

Attachments

• IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    638.5 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 689
OP
E
I think sept 28 - oct 4.
Ok 28-5th. That’s when we went. Don’t hesitate to shoot something the first day and get lots of practice in different positions. Walk down loose terrain as much as possible. You will be leading horses downhill often. It’s harder than you think. 2 out of 7 guys got bulls but it would have been 6 of 7 if the hunters did their part a little better. Good luck, I go back in 25. Can’t wait

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
Deer Creek pass is a "western ride". Late season you have to dig the trail out from snow drifts. Keep your feet out of the stirrups ;)

Were you in Pass Creek or Open Creek? I guided up there in the late 1970's. We came in from Jackson Hole side. It was a two day ride with a layover at Hawks Rest.

You got a really nice bull for that area!

I want to get up there for archery or rifle. I hear there’s essentially two herds “localized” in rough vicinity, but a lot depends on weather. Weather will drive some in and others out.

How were the grizzlies and wolves ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
I want to get up there for archery or rifle. I hear there’s essentially two herds “localized” in rough vicinity, but a lot depends on weather. Weather will drive some in and others out.

How were the grizzlies and wolves ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some were seen everyday