Those looking to upgrade CVA sights

I read the same article, and was worried about that issue. As for a rear sight, I went with a William's FP with target knobs for ease of adjustment. Keep in mind Williams doesnt make that sight for a cva Optima, they do make one for a browning a bolt which has the same screw spacing (.86). The sight does require some modifications. First the screws supplied are a #6, to small. Cva thread is 8-40, so the sight screw hole need to drilled up and re-counterbored to accept a #8 filister head. The next thing is the sight base is flat, and not radiused to match the barrel. I made a radius block from .875 I.D. aluminum pipe, .125 wall thickness. Milled a flat on the pipe till the wall thickness was about 1/16. Cut to fit and match drilled. Another option I would have used if i didn't have the tools make the radius block would be to mount the sight with a bed of Devcon or metal epoxy, applying the same principle as bedding scope mounts or a stock. I have not gotten the front sights mounted yet, so I haven't tried this set up out yet.

Attachments

• 20190414_100846.jpg
    20190414_100846.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190414_100827.jpg
    20190414_100827.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 91

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
So I too have a cva V2 LR and went with the Williams peep on the back however I wanted to do the globe on front but my gunsmith said there wasn’t enough clearance so put on the smallest bead he could. After reading all the above ticks me off as it is possible. So my question is how do I tap it myself so I can put the globe with the fine crosshairs on?

McD18

FNG
Thanks for the info gents. I have a CVA Optima v2, heading to the range to figure out my best bullet/powder combo with a scope first, then I'll be working the peep sight game plan. I don't plan on putting a globe up front at this point.

I'm in CA so lead free for me...

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
So I too have a cva V2 LR and went with the Williams peep on the back however I wanted to do the globe on front but my gunsmith said there wasn’t enough clearance so put on the smallest bead he could. After reading all the above ticks me off as it is possible. So my question is how do I tap it myself so I can put the globe with the fine crosshairs on?

You shouldn't need to tap anything. Check out the link below. It has all of the parts necessary listed.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloader#gs.4c0kxg

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Bummer. I would think someone would be able to drill and tap it but I am not familiar enough with the process to know if there is enough material up there to drill.

Anyone still active on this? I have a cva optima I want to do the gohunt sight setup for. But the stupid marble dive tail ramp is out of stock everywhere. Any suitable replacement people have used?

Ok after running the numbers and figuring out how much correction would be required on the front sight to bring the zero down to 100yds I will share what I did. I ordered the Williams shorty 1/8" ramp and the .494 Globe front sight combined with the #418 weaver base and tall XS weaver sight should allow for 100yd zero with room for adjustment up and down if desired.

Did this combo end up working out? What powder/bullet combo are you running?

cowboy300

WKR
Sorry I do have all the parts and need to put it together. Im not muzzleloading this year so it kinda got put on the back burner. I will give an update when I do. Im running 300gr Hornady FPB and 110gr Blackhorn 209. same charge weight with Thors had basically the same point of impact at 100yds

Sorry I do have all the parts and need to put it together. Im not muzzleloading this year so it kinda got put on the back burner. I will give an update when I do. Im running 300gr Hornady FPB and 110gr Blackhorn 209. same charge weight with Thors had basically the same point of impact at 100yds

I may take a swing for my Accura MR and try the PeepRib, Williams 1/8" and .494-- headed to CO with a handful of muzzy tags. Planning to run 300gr Sabretooths with 110gr BH209 for Deer/Elk/Bear

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone still active on this? I have a cva optima I want to do the gohunt sight setup for. But the stupid marble dive tail ramp is out of stock everywhere. Any suitable replacement people have used?

Someone mentioned Skinner sights on the go hunt article. I gave them a call and they are milling a different ramp with a smaller barrel radius to the larger 7/8" needed, $27.50 shipped. Not as cheap as the marble one but that one is a ghost right now.

I've got the globe, shaver sights, and that peep rib rear sight coming my way. I already had a williams peep on there but its not going to be tall enough so I decided to just get that peep rib for the extra height and sight radius. Plus I can always toss on a scope for load work or states that allow them then.

Hey y’all!
New here but I am very intrested in this setup and what will work. I’m looking at an Accura V2LR. I’m in Arizona and I’m able to use a scope but I got a Colorado elk tag this September and I’m desperately trying to find a reliable setup to fit in with their regulations. Has anybody been able to get this setup to work accurately? My hunt is mid September and have my heart set on the gun but I’m cutting it close as far as range time is concerned. I’ve read the go hunt article but is seems that it didn’t work out so well with the Accura.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y’all!
New here but I am very intrested in this setup and what will work. I’m looking at an Accura V2LR. I’m in Arizona and I’m able to use a scope but I got a Colorado elk tag this September and I’m desperately trying to find a reliable setup to fit in with their regulations. Has anybody been able to get this setup to work accurately? My hunt is mid September and have my heart set on the gun but I’m cutting it close as far as range time is concerned. I’ve read the go hunt article but is seems that it didn’t work out so well with the Accura.
I've ordered all the parts but the Marble ramp is the hard one to find. Brownells has it on backorder. Hopefully will have it any day now. I've also got a Colorado tag for mid September and hate not being ready. I'll post a review if I get it in.

Sorry been away for a few days. Thanks for the reply rtaylor. Does anybody know if the Accura V2 has the barrel end threaded for the dovetail? Bucky said his was bare and I contacted CVA and was told that it wasn’t setup for opensights. I’m not sure if they meat that it want threaded at all or if it was not threaded for the mid barrel sights. I should’ve asked for more clarification because as it stands I might need a gunsmith to do a setup like this.

The standard V2 is drilled and tapped. The MR and PR are not. I’m not sure about the LR version. There are a handful of the MR or PR versions that were mistakenly drilled and tapped for a front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've ordered all the parts but the Marble ramp is the hard one to find. Brownells has it on backorder. Hopefully will have it any day now. I've also got a Colorado tag for mid September and hate not being ready. I'll post a review if I get it in.

See above, skinner sights got one to me for $27.50. Got my stuff all mounted up, just haven’t had a chance to sight in yet.

Worth the extra couple bucks to have it done...