Those looking to upgrade CVA sights

cowboy300

WKR
"Ok after running the numbers and figuring out how much correction would be required on the front sight to bring the zero down to 100yds I will share what I did. I ordered the Williams shorty 1/8" ramp and the .494 Globe front sight combined with the #418 weaver base and tall XS weaver sight should allow for 100yd zero with room for adjustment up and down if desired."

OK little update. I went out and shot today with rear sight bottomed out I was shooting 1 foot high at 100yds with this set up. I just ordered the Williams shorty 3/8" tall dovetail front ramp which should do the trick for this set up. I was shooting 110gr BH209 and 300gr FPB with a CVA Accura 28" barrel Plains Rifle

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Some years back I had my machinist hunting buddy make a shim for the rear of my knight, same application, trying to get the rear peep higher, I'd have to measure it, but seems like it was about .1875 (3/16")… works great. If you got a friend in the trade, he can make short work of it...
Mike

cgasner1

WKR
I’m playing with the globe on my bighorn has to build a big shim for the back even using the .100 front ramp that took forever to find gonna try and get the gun into my smith today to see if any way he can attach it to the gun minus the front ramp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
Got mine sighted in at 100yd. The peeprib rear sight has enough height that no shim is needed on my optima v2 paired with the short Lyman globe.

I am running the same setup on my Accura V2 and can report the same as you. I'm sighted in 3" high at 100 yards using 250 grain Thor bullets and BH209. The peep is approximately 2/3-3/4 of the way up the ramp which should allow for plenty of additional elevation adjustment to use 300's if I choose.

The standard V2 is drilled and tapped. The MR and PR are not. I’m not sure about the LR version. There are a handful of the MR or PR versions that were mistakenly drilled and tapped for a front sight.

The MR is drilled and tapped, I have one in my safe.

The LR is also drilled and tapped front and rear.

The MR is drilled and tapped, I have one in my safe.

The LR is also drilled and tapped front and rear.

With the high comb could you put irons on it and get a good sight picture?

I’m basing this off another discussion board where a customer service rep from CVA admitted that some MR and PR rifles were accidentally tapped, but with the higher comb made for scope use, the iron sights would be less than ideal.

I’d love an MR with irons!

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Accura MR that is tapped for a front sight. I bought the MR specifically for the higher comb. In general I need a comb that is just under 1/2" higher than most standard non adjustable commercial rifle stocks.

I installed the stuff from the gohunt article last year. This year I changed out the standard Williams peep for the “ace in the hole” integrated rail/peep so I can run QD rings when/where scopes are legal. I love the globe front sight but I HATE the dovetail ramp! Is anyone aware of a front globe that mountd directly to the barrel?

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I installed the stuff from the gohunt article last year. This year I changed out the standard Williams peep for the “ace in the hole” integrated rail/peep so I can run QD rings when/where scopes are legal. I love the globe front sight but I HATE the dovetail ramp! Is anyone aware of a front globe that mountd directly to the barrel?

I would love to find someone that would make a globe that bolts directly to the barrel as well.

I have considered having a dovetail machined into my barrel so I can put the globe directly onto it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

What's wrong with the ramp?

The ramp shortage I was going to have my barrel machined for a dovetail but the leadtime didn't support that idea so I went back to a ramp, seems fine to me, what am I missing to hate?

Like a lot of people have stated, the front globe slides through the dovetail. I had to use shims to get a tight fit but once it’s in, there’s no precision adjustment besides tapping it with a drift. I was just wondering if anyone was aware of a more precise setup instead of a front sight that’s Jerry Rigged.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You just crimp the dovetail fingers a tad so it bites the dovetail on the globe base then drift it to "center" and use the rear sight side/side adjustment for final sight in refinement. I wouldn't call that jerry rigged.

cgasner1

WKR
My bighorn is sitting at the smiths house right now I told him I wanted to cut the grove off the globe drill holes from the top to the bottom of it and have it countersink and tap the end of the barrel for 2 screws I think if he just machines a little flat spot on top of the barrel should work great

cowboy300

WKR
I got the Williams shorty dovetail shotgun ramp for .875 barrels. I originally had the 1/8 tall dovetail but I had to order the 3/8 after shooting it to bring my zero where it needs to be. Rifle is a cva accura plains rifle.