Those looking to upgrade CVA sights

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Williams shorty dovetail shotgun ramp for .875 barrels. I originally had the 1/8 tall dovetail but I had to order the 3/8 after shooting it to bring my zero where it needs to be. Rifle is a cva accura plains rifle.

Thank you, what rear sight are you running and at what distance are you trying to zero at?

cowboy300

WKR
Im using the lowest weaver 2 piece base I could find and the tall XS back up ghost ring sight. The lowest I could zero at 100 with previous front sight dovetail set up was still 1 ft high at 100yds.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I finally got all my parts (marble ramp, williams peep, lyman globe and lee shaver inserts). Got to the range and at 25 yards I am about 5 inches low. I don't have enough elevation to get anywhere close so I've ordered the Eabco rail and ramp that is supposed to give more elevation.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Thought I would post up what I did on my traditions to make the Williams FP work with my muzzleloader. It has the same screw spacing and screw sizes on the receiver as the CVA muzzleloaders, so I could literally take this setup off my muzzy and screw it into a CVA without issue. They even call for the same weaver scope mount. I had a lot of help from Idahoron on monstermuleys, so I don't want to take any credit, just share what worked.

The hardest part for me was finding a Williams FP with a flat bottom mounting surface, preferably with the same hole spacing as my muzzleloader. The A-Bolt version is discontinued, and the FP Legend is out of stock till well past hunting season ends (according to Williams), so I though I was out of luck, but I eventually found the FP A-Bolt on ebay and actually got it with the target knobs (minus the elevation locking knob) for a really good price.

I then did similiar to what Armed&Hammered did earlier in this post, but instead of milling my own, I just used a weaver scope mount. It has a flat top and it worked perfectly. You have to drill the sight hole a bit larger for 8-40 screws, counterbore for the larger head, and find longer screws that will go all the way through the sight and scope mount. You could probably go with out the counterbore, but then the head will sit on top of the sight instead down flush. Probably not a big deal, but I think it looks a little better flush as well as just a bit more solid. In the end mine looks like this.

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

I may go through and use some JB Weld or something similar to fill the hole created by the weaver mount, but again, I don't think that is necessary as it is completely solid and I don't think it would cause any issues as is.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so the Williams peep, Lyman globe and Marble ramp set up did not work on my Optima. I couldn't get enough elevation. I ditched the Williams and replaced it with the Eabco ramp and rail combo. Tried it out this weekend and it is perfect. Plenty enough adjustment in either direction. Highly recommend the Eabco.

Bluesky

FNG
Got mine sighted in at 100yd. The peeprib rear sight has enough height that no shim is needed on my optima v2 paired with the short Lyman globe.
Do you know if this is colorado legal? Is this sight set up considered "open sights". If so, do you have specific part numbers or websites to find these parts?

I’m looking at an EABCO ramp for an Accura MR. How bad does the peep interfere with the scopes sight picture? Can it be easily removed? Same for the Lyman front globe?

Im using the lowest weaver 2 piece base I could find and the tall XS back up ghost ring sight. The lowest I could zero at 100 with previous front sight dovetail set up was still 1 ft high at 100yds.
@cowboy300 Sorry to bump from the grave, but is there a reason you went with the tall XS back up ghost ring sight over the low one? I would think rocking the low XS might allow you to also use the 1/8" Williams shorty ramp instead of the 3/8" one? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

cowboy300

WKR
@cowboy300 Sorry to bump from the grave, but is there a reason you went with the tall XS back up ghost ring sight over the low one? I would think rocking the low XS might allow you to also use the 1/8" Williams shorty ramp instead of the 3/8" one? Thanks for any info.

I can’t remember the exact reason I went that route to be honest. I know there was something behind my reasoning.

I can’t remember the exact reason I went that route to be honest. I know there was something behind my reasoning.
@cowboy300 All good. I followed in your footsteps. The tall rear gives me the most in adjustment by going to lower ramps, and I know I might need it as I shoot a 300gr bullet. Plus with my old sight I had to mash my face into my stock so a little height might be nice.

Carr5vols

WKR
Question, you all that are shooting the williams peep and globe how does it work in low light. Would a rear peep and front rib be better for low light?

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Question, you all that are shooting the williams peep and globe how does it work in low light. Would a rear peep and front rib be better for low light?
For low light the front globe leaves much to be desired. I have contemplated painting it with some type of sight paint but I am upgrading to the new CVA line here for this next season so I am going to hold off. This front globe setup was by far the best upgrade I have done on any of my hunting rigs through the years. The CVA put down its fair share of animals and I cant wait to give the new line a go.

Wrench

WKR
For low light the front globe leaves much to be desired. I have contemplated painting it with some type of sight paint but I am upgrading to the new CVA line here for this next season so I am going to hold off. This front globe setup was by far the best upgrade I have done on any of my hunting rigs through the years. The CVA put down its fair share of animals and I cant wait to give the new line a go.
I painted the insert and it made a huge difference. I tried a photon squeeze light on the barrel and it was epic as it lit the globe wonderfully.....but wouldn't pass the warden smell test, so I'm installing a tritium vial in the front sight to light up the painted globe. A pink sight with a green or yellow tritium should be the final answer.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
I painted the insert and it made a huge difference. I tried a photon squeeze light on the barrel and it was epic as it lit the globe wonderfully.....but wouldn't pass the warden smell test, so I'm installing a tritium vial in the front sight to light up the painted globe. A pink sight with a green or yellow tritium should be the final answer.
Awesome. Assuming there isn’t any kind of washout or fuzziness with it painted? Part of my concern was that the crosshair wouldn’t be as crisp and defined if I painted it.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an Eabco for my CVA Optima, planning to pick-up the Lyman globe next. Thanks for all the help!

Just picked up my CVA MR-X. Williams will be releasing one of their rails with peep that matches up to their western front sight globe later this year. I’m gonna try to hold out for that so I don’t have to shim and mess with things.

Just picked up my CVA MR-X. Williams will be releasing one of their rails with peep that matches up to their western front sight globe later this year. I’m gonna try to hold out for that so I don’t have to shim and mess with things.
I emailed Williams a few months ago about their lack of CVA compatible western precision peep and globe sights. They responded with a canned answer about "unprecedented challenges... Blah blah blah."

I told them to place me on the notification list and have not heard since.

I wouldn't hold your breath too long.

I emailed Williams a few months ago about their lack of CVA compatible western precision peep and globe sights. They responded with a canned answer about "unprecedented challenges... Blah blah blah."

I told them to place me on the notification list and have not heard since.

I wouldn't hold your breath too long.

Im not. But I called and spoke to a person. I was hopeful that he didn’t miss a beat in replying. He said they’re working on it

Could go either way. I won’t lose sleep if they blew smoke up my butt.