Those of you who chew and hunt grizzly country... do you hang your dip?

Headed to Grizz country next week... partner is a dipper, and I’m an occasional field dipper after a decade in the military (don’t tell the wife.)

Is smokeless tobacco known to attract bears? Can’t seem to find any solid info...

Thanks!

Shraggs

WKR
My experience as
Someone who dips a lot.

Leaf stuff like red man, don’t ever it’s soaked in molasses and will attract all kinds of animals.

Skoal or grizzly I believe repulses animals. Might be a good strategy in Grizz country.

I had a Grizz about 50 yards from me out of sight down a step and down wind, he was pissed huffing and breaking logs for about 10 minutes. He never came in. Must have been the chew!

Jon Boy

WKR
My experience as
Someone who dips a lot.

Leaf stuff like red man, don’t ever it’s soaked in molasses and will attract all kinds of animals.

Skoal or grizzly I believe repulses animals. Might be a good strategy in Grizz country.

I had a Grizz about 50 yards from me out of sight down a step and down wind, he was pissed huffing and breaking logs for about 10 minutes. He never came in. Must have been the chew!
Interesting. I'm a heavy dipper. Kodiak. I hunt a lot of grizzly country and have only ever run into one. See folks dipping is good for my health

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
Im guessing they would not like that crap. My buddies dog will damn near bite you when he smells cope.

Backyard

WKR
General rule: If it smells, hang it.
This includes toothpaste, chew, gum, candy, lip balm, mess kit, etc. They've got the best sniffers in the woods, if you have it in the tent they're gonna find it.

Agree w/ Backyard. If it smells it goes in the tree. Soap, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, gum, candy, etc. if you spilled food or something besides water on your shirt or pants typically those get out into the tree as well. Why take the risk? If you have to ask if it should........welll, it should.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
How about toothpaste, chewing gum? Hang those too?
Definitely.

I don’t have much experience in Griz country but most of my hunting/camping is in black bear country. I’d hang anything that smells like you’d put it in your mouth.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
We camped in black bear country recently, the ranger stopped by our campsite and told us to take absolutely noting into the tent with us, not even a water bottle, except for sleeping bags and maybe a flashlight, nothing that gives off any odor such as food, toothpaste, deodorant etc. Those things need to be in a locked car and covered by a blanket,or bear proof box. Bear warnings were posted all around the campsite.

WJS23

WKR
This is good to know I never thought about hanging my cope with my food

I've always kept my toothbrush and toothpaste in a tree, but never bothered with the chew (except for extra cans I'm bringing). I just always keep my open can in my pocket or in the tent at night. It makes sense to hang it though. I've never had any issues doing this but it may not be the best practice either.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
My chew lives in the bino harness that lives on my chest even while I sleep but Iv often thought it was a stupid idea but that’s also only in black bear country.

Htm84

WKR
I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d regret hanging it. But I can imagine regretting one if you didn’t. Chances of a bear smelling it from a mile away and coming for it is slim. Having one cruise near your tent and smell it could get a little interesting.