Those of you who use titanium stoves, do you still pack a jet boil/cooking stove?

Hi all, first time poster. I’ve been a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter who has also spent a good portion of my career in the military doing “field things” as well. That said I did my first solo western hunt this past Oct which was a totally new and awesome experience for me, as I grew up in Ohio hunting deer. I hunted Antelope in western Montana, and though I was successful (on the first day no less) I definitely learned a few things.

I plan on going out west again next year for general season Elk and or Mule Deer and I’ve started lurking here researching gear, which has been a great resource. I knew I needed an upgrade to my sleeping bag (using an old military 3 bag system) and plan on purchasing a WM Kodiak GWS. In researching that I discovered the packable tipi/titanium stoves... Holy crap, mild blown. Total game changer for Oct/Nov in MT/WY/CO. If it means I don’t pack a separate cooking device it’s not much of a weight penalty either. I’m planning on purchasing a Cimarron tent and stove from Seek Outdoors as well.

Question is this, those of you who use a packable stove... do you brink a secondary system to cook with as well? A 1.5lb jetboil doesn’t seem heavy on paper, but add it all up and it’s a significant and potentially unnecessary item. That said it would really bad to be a few miles back, not be able to find anything dry enough to get a fire going and be stuck eating power bars for dinner. (Generally I pack mountain house for breakfast and dinner, and two bars to snack on throughout the day).

Just curious what folks thoughts are.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
Yes, cooking on my titanium tent stove is doable but honestly kind of a pain to just heat water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I bring both. my stove(s) are both cylinder stoves, so the heat transfer pretty much sucks for boiling water. My buddy tried to use it to heat coffee in the mornings but gave up on that pretty quick. A million times easier to just fire up the jetboil for 30 seconds for coffee.

I have not used a box stove before, they are apparently much better for cooking on as they have much more surface area contact, but they are also heavier.

OP
B
I bring both. my stove(s) are both cylinder stoves, so the heat transfer pretty much sucks for boiling water. My buddy tried to use it to heat coffee in the mornings but gave up on that pretty quick. A million times easier to just fire up the jetboil for 30 seconds for coffee.

I have not used a box stove before, they are apparently much better for cooking on as they have much more surface area contact, but they are also heavier.

Yup, that’s why I was willing to pay the weight penalty going with the box stove. More durable, better for cooking, and seemed like it might negate the weight of a jet boil. Sounds like most folks are still bringing the jet boil though.

jmden

WKR
Yup, that’s why I was willing to pay the weight penalty going with the box stove. More durable, better for cooking, and seemed like it might negate the weight of a jet boil. Sounds like most folks are still bringing the jet boil though.

Agreed.

SO titanium box stoves are great to cook on, boil water, whaterever. What's the point of 'weight savings' if I have to bring another stove?

Shrek

WKR
33749493-D7F2-4A63-91D1-40F9F16BA9A6.jpgI use a Ti WiFi large stove by Ruta Locura and it works great for heating water. I still carry my Primus stove but I generally put the pot with water on the WiFi when I set it up before bed for the morning. I reach out of my sleeping bag and light the WiFi in the morning and let it warm the tent and water. I dress in my bag while waiting and then unzip my bag and pour water for coffee and mountain house. I don’t get an unpleasant cold shock until I unzip the door on my Sawtooth to go hunting. When I get back I build a fire in the WiFi and set a pot of water to boil. In a couple of minutes I’m warm , the water has boiled and the mountain house is soaking. The stove is a game changer. Relaxing in a warm dry tent as everything dries out really takes a lot of stress away.

Sorry about the sideways photos. I still take the stove to make coffee in the field. A hot cup of coffee while you glass on a cold day is really nice. I’m there to enjoy myself not prove how tough I am.

Attachments

• 95E4A162-7868-43E9-ABBF-9825CAECEA1B.jpg
    95E4A162-7868-43E9-ABBF-9825CAECEA1B.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

KBC

WKR
Seems like a lot of people cook in their tents. Is everyone hunting outside of bear country?

FlyGuy

WKR
Seems like a lot of people cook in their tents. Is everyone hunting outside of bear country?
Yeah, Most of my trips are not in Griz areas. If in Grizzly country then i would not advise cooking inside your shelter, but boiling water wouldn't be a problem. (Although it would be tempting to get lazy and just poor it on top of your mtn house without walking down the ridge, so probably not a great idea.)

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
B

Didn’t think about that, depending on where I’m at, a jet boil may be necessary for that reason alone.

Cooking on those stoves does take longer but for me anyway when it's cold enough to use the stove the days are short so I spent allot of time sitting and staring at the stove anyway.So a small canester stove( for when I get rushed) and a pot I can use on a wood stove make sense

My box stove heats water pretty fast once its cranking. We cook and eat inside the tipi, and we do it in bear country. We did the same thin in the old wall tents and bigger stoves before we had the tipi and titanium stove. It can save a lot of weight on a longer trip.

I suppose a lot of it comes down to how you use the woodburner. I use mine sparingly, and some days it never gets a fire. I use it more for drying clothes, gear and the inside of the tipi, and not so much for pure comfort. To boil water I need to burn it pretty hot and that means an uncomfortably hot tent inside unless the weather is quite cold. It also means gathering and burning more wood than I use otherwise. My woodburner is my backup cooking stove. I 100% always bring a canister stove for cooking and boiling.

For anyone interested: If you really want to cut ounces check out Snow Peak's LiteMax titanium stove. I carry one of these as my backup stove, but have actually used it 12 straight days for all my cooking. TWO ounces plus a canister.

Yep I boil water while I get stuff ready for next morning. Eat and crawl in bag. Tent stove is already warmed up tipi and socks and pants are pre- drying, before I throw them in my bag with me. I have a process. After checking messages and sending messages to loved ones and/or company needs I head to bed. The JetBoil just makes a quick chore of dinner.

Beendare

WKR
Those little butane stoves are the bomb....everyone I know uses them. They boil water 4x faster than my Ti stove.

Not a fan of the Jetboil brand....I've seen too many plastic parts on them break.

Those little butane stoves are the bomb....everyone I know uses them. They boil water 4x faster than my Ti stove.

Not a fan of the Jetboil brand....I've seen too many plastic parts on them break.

And they aren't hunt friendly group. I am waiting for mine to die so I can get a MSR.
I had one in my cart when GoHunt was having a sale, but wouldnt work right in my cart and the IT guy was working on it. Then I forgot about it and missed the sale. Oh well, my JB is still working, until it doesn't. Then that will suck. Then I will get a MSR and that wont suck.

I have a medium boxstove in the tipi, and we use it to cook pancakes in the skillet after morning hunts or to melt snow leisurely while we sip whiskey. In the evenings we heat water on it while we warm up.

The jetboil is used for all the mountain house meals, oatmeal and morning drinks. Then the jetboil gets thrown in the pack with a couple bottles of water and a mountain house meal for lunch if we are going to be out all day. Usually one guy carries the stove and one carries a water pump as we usually hunt buddy teams (might sit a couple hundred yards apart and hook up for lunch).