Those Using Woodstoves In Tents

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For the guys/gals who have been using woodstoves in your tents. What stove do you have? How long does it take to set up? Do you find it to be a pain in the butt? How is the durability?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lite outdoors 18 inch cylinder...in a Cimarron lite...can have it assembled in 10 minutes or so...not a pain in the ass you simply take your time, two years old been used a good amount a few dents and for ultralight gear and it’s use give it a 9.5. No complaints it has provided many warm nights both alone and with friends.

GregB

WKR
Also a 18" Lite Outdoors cylinder in a cimmaron. 10 minutes or so sounds about right for set up. This was my first year using it, it has some dents but mostly from when I set it up the first time to burn it in. If I had been a little smarter I probably wouldn't have very many dents.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. That Lite Outdoors stove looks like it would be perfect for my Kifaru Sawtooth.

I have two wood stoves that I built. I can appreciate the lightweight units that are being sold, but I wanted something heavy, airtight, fully adjustable intake/venting for long burns, and glass in the door. It takes me under a minute to set up , legs,fan and stovepipe fit inside for storage. I also bring a 3/16 plate with gasket to go in place of the glass just in case shit happens. Glass can be replaced in a minute or two if needed. Yeah its heavy , but it's not going to burn through and easily heats 14x26 tent. Heat sinks on top and a heat powered fan almost double the efficiency imo20190921_192958.jpg20191019_165718.jpg20191019_155837~2.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have two wood stoves that I built. I can appreciate the lightweight units that are being sold, but I wanted something heavy, airtight, fully adjustable intake/venting for long burns, and glass in the door. It takes me under a minute to set up , legs,fan and stovepipe fit inside for storage. I also bring a 3/16 plate with gasket to go in place of the glass just in case shit happens. Glass can be replaced in a minute or two if needed. Yeah its heavy , but it's not going to burn through and easily heats 14x26 tent. Heat sinks on top and a heat powered fan almost double the efficiency imoView attachment 131874View attachment 131875View attachment 131876
I don't think he's gonna pack that on his back to put in his Sawtooth lol. I have a Ruta Locura stove, which is now called the WiFi XL. Does the job quite well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another 18" lite outdoors cylinder, just picked it up recently so can't give too much feedback but the large entrance is a big plus and setup is fairly simple. Did the guys that got warping during the initial burn in find that it got progressively worse over time or just a few cosmetic dents? Either way Brennen has excellent customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again for that reason alone.

GregB

WKR
Another 18" lite outdoors cylinder, just picked it up recently so can't give too much feedback but the large entrance is a big plus and setup is fairly simple. Did the guys that got warping during the initial burn in find that it got progressively worse over time or just a few cosmetic dents? Either way Brennen has excellent customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again for that reason alone.
Mine hasn't got worse, but once its burnt in they are there for good. It is easier to make it worse if the stove is hot and you push in on the dent by accident.

Tsnider

WKR
seek outside medium is plenty durable, been using it for about 3 years now. takes about 15 minutes to set it and my sawtooth up.

JG358

WKR
Been running a Kifaru med box stove since before Kifaru was trendy. 5-10 min setting it up, couple dings from being thrown around over the years but its still going strong.

Lawnboi

WKR
Kifaru box: My first wood stove in a tent experience was in a kifaru paratipi with their at the time, parastove. Small stove, pain to make wood for. Otherwise worked. Shortly after I got a medium kifaru box and a 6man tipi. The kifaru box stove is very well thought out, door is a hair small imo. Putting it together is straight forward, even in sub zero conditions it isn’t bad. Other well thought out features include orange cord on all pipe rings, nice carry case, adjustable stove collar with removable spark arrestors that you can clean WHILE burning the stove. Kifaru pioneered the collapsible wood stove. I would buy another kifaru box without question if I wanted a near the car stove, or something I can get a buddy to carry. A medium heated my 6man tipi without problem but if I did it over it would be a large. Even when burnt hard and warped I still was able to put the stove together with relative ease. I never timed myself but the box elicited no swearing.

LO cylinder: I got this stove this summer to run in a cimmaron because it was cheap. I’m in the boat that thinks this stove is a pain to put together. Especially with gloves on. Rings are easy to lose, they have no cordage on them. Lots of small parts, crappy bags. But the thing is light. Pros for the stove include a good size fire box for the weight, and the door. Cons, for me personally mine is warped badly, I don’t have a lot of use on it and Iv got some serious warping going on, this hasn’t effected how it worked yet though. Pipe/stove connection; if you use a spark arrestor be ready for a smoke filled tent. No way to clean it while burning. Short legs are a minor annoyance. It’s low enough that it burns whatever it’s on top of very easily, that and you need to get pretty low to feed it. I’m not entirely happy with my purchase based on how I personally use a wood stove, but I think for a guy looking to go as light as possible it’s a good option. Just take the damn spark arrestor off unless you really need it. Heated the cimmaron without difficulty. As for setup time, I’d say 15min or so.

I’d really like to try a seek outside box. Maybe next year. I really prefer putting a box stove together. The 20-30 degree below normal temps this year convinced my wife it was okay to buy a bigger tent, and a bigger stove.

I have a kifaru medium box stove I use in a BPW Luna 6. I usually only use this in the winter, not hunting. It’s just too much to deal with hunting and I’m normally going to go home at night. The medium box stove is a bit bigger than I like, it takes up some serious space and I’m in the process of trading it for another, smaller stove. I don’t run the stove when I’m sleeping, just when I’m in the tent before bed.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SO SXL in a standard Cimarron anAttach filesd love it.

I was also torn between a box stove and a cylinder stove and had narrowed it down to a Seek Outside or Lite Outdoors. I ultimately chose the SO despite the extra weight because of the higher legs, flat top and spark arrestor options. I have the cleanable damper-type spark arrestor that you can flip to clean just like opening or closing the damper. Very handy in Alaska this September burning a lot of dirty wood.

The size was not a problem in the Cimarron when solo and would be fine with 2 people but I like lots of room to keep everything inside the tent and lay out my gear.

No worries about getting the tent too hot when it was 17 degree outside. Nice and cozy. Door could be slightly larger but worked fie with a Silky saw to trim good size chunks. 2+ hour burn times but haven't really tried for long burns yet. Will see what Michigan oak does this winter.
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG

sneaky

"DADDY"
Jealous of you for having oak to burn. Everything out west is garbage compared to hardwood lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Birch was pretty premium in Alaska compared to the scraggly jack pines or spruce type trees they have. Spoiled with wood in the Midwest