Those Using Woodstoves In Tents

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is Seek Outsides new release The U-Turn. It's a hybrid of cylinder & box stoves. comparable weight to cylinder designs but you can cook on top. If you're willing to wait a little longer to boil water, you can ditch your fuel stove, saving you more weight (did that just this fall on one my backcountry buck hunts.) The U-turn comes in a medium (23oz without pipe, pipe adds 1.5oz per foot) and a large (weighs 26 oz without pipe). I have their original XL. It comes in at 35oz, so 9oz heavier + 0.5 oz. heavier per foot of chimney. Hoping to try a U-Turn for you guys:

The U-Turn titanium tent stove is an ultralight version of our standard stoves that uses lighter weight titanium foil for the stove sides and back, plus a smaller diameter stovepipe and damper that is not interchangeable with our other stoves. If you desire a very lightweight stove that works great for cooking or melting snow, the U-Turn is probably right for you. U-Turn stoves maintain the ease of assembly and use of our box stoves, but cut significant weight (12 oz on a medium with 6 feet of pipe). Our U-Turn stoves compare favorably to cylinder stoves on the market from a weight perspective, while being much sturdier, easier to assemble, and easier to cook on due to the flat top.

reaper

WKR
What stove packs the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
depend on your backpack set-up but a cylinder stove get pretty small...also have a CUB stove for my silvertip and that thing but some heat haha i was really impressed,just more wood prep because this is a tiny stove,it fit in a large kifaru pullout pouch.

Luckyrxc

FNG
I use a KniCo Alaskan in my SO 12 man tipi. I bought it on SO‘s recommendation for car camping. I put a cookie sheet on top to keep it from denting when I put a pot of water on top. It pairs great with the 12 man tipi, all the pipe fits inside, and I assemble / disassemble it in less than 5 minutes.
It accepts regular split logs which Is a huge bonus.
It will run us out of that tent if not kept at a low roar.

tommynealy

Lil-Rokslider
The SO looks like it would be much simpler to set up IMO.

I have a 18” lite outdoors. Not too bad to set up, gathering wood is the primary PITA for me.

I have a 18” lite outdoors. Not too bad to set up, gathering wood is the primary PITA for me.

Have a son. In 10 years you'll have a wood gathering machine, pretty sure they count as ultralight gear since they can actually shave weight off your pack if you sneak a few small items into theirs ;)

JWP58

WKR
I'm looking at an 18" kifaru cylinder stove, but the door size concerns me...also the ease of setup is a concern. But the weight and cost is nice.

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
Since the OP was asking about stoves for tents, I didn’t automatically go to packable ones.
For the wall tent and a canvas tipi we use a Camp Chef alpine. It does take some time to set up and take down, it’s heavy and takes up space in the truck but it can be assembled in less than 8-10 mins.
Biggest hassle is cleaning out the coals halfway through the hunt. It’ll heat the 14x16 wall tent right up.
Last month we truck camped and did a mobile hot UL tipi, instead of using a titanium or lightweight stove we used a steel stove (Little Hottie) made by a fabricator in Kingman AZ (Lemelin Fab Co).
We didn’t want to mess with the lightweight stove every morning and every night, the Little Hottie was perfect. Compact, beefy for transport on rough roads and it heated the UL tipi up nicely. Heat and temp management was easy as well. For quick set up and take down I’ll be using this stove again rather than the big heavy stove or titanium for these road trips. Backcountry stoves have their purpose but the Little Hottie was a game changer

View attachment 133036
Here is Seek Outsides new release The U-Turn. It's a hybrid of cylinder & box stoves. comparable weight to cylinder designs but you can cook on top. If you're willing to wait a little longer to boil water, you can ditch your fuel stove, saving you more weight (did that just this fall on one my backcountry buck hunts.) The U-turn comes in a medium (23oz without pipe, pipe adds 1.5oz per foot) and a large (weighs 26 oz without pipe). I have their original XL. It comes in at 35oz, so 9oz heavier + 0.5 oz. heavier per foot of chimney. Hoping to try a U-Turn for you guys:

The U-Turn titanium tent stove is an ultralight version of our standard stoves that uses lighter weight titanium foil for the stove sides and back, plus a smaller diameter stovepipe and damper that is not interchangeable with our other stoves. If you desire a very lightweight stove that works great for cooking or melting snow, the U-Turn is probably right for you. U-Turn stoves maintain the ease of assembly and use of our box stoves, but cut significant weight (12 oz on a medium with 6 feet of pipe). Our U-Turn stoves compare favorably to cylinder stoves on the market from a weight perspective, while being much sturdier, easier to assemble, and easier to cook on due to the flat top.

Excited to hear more about this setup as I’m looking to get a stove for my Cimarron.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Since the OP was asking about stoves for tents, I didn’t automatically go to packable ones.
For the wall tent and a canvas tipi we use a Camp Chef alpine. It does take some time to set up and take down, it’s heavy and takes up space in the truck but it can be assembled in less than 8-10 mins.
Biggest hassle is cleaning out the coals halfway through the hunt. It’ll heat the 14x16 wall tent right up.
Last month we truck camped and did a mobile hot UL tipi, instead of using a titanium or lightweight stove we used a steel stove (Little Hottie) made by a fabricator in Kingman AZ (Lemelin Fab Co).
We didn’t want to mess with the lightweight stove every morning and every night, the Little Hottie was perfect. Compact, beefy for transport on rough roads and it heated the UL tipi up nicely. Heat and temp management was easy as well. For quick set up and take down I’ll be using this stove again rather than the big heavy stove or titanium for these road trips. Backcountry stoves have their purpose but the Little Hottie was a game changer
Lemelin is pretty scarce on specs for that stove, namely how much it weighs. Looks pretty nice though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The U Turn stove looks like Seek's take on a wifi stove, or the Ruta Locura stove which is now the wifi XL. Looks like a pretty similar setup with their door style and their dampener system. Nothing wrong with more choices, but it's not reinventing the wheel.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Redcliffe and SeekOutside XL not too heavy . One guy pack tent one packs stove. 15 minutes or so and you can be getting a fire going and out of the liquid sunshine of Washington. Old growth blow down for and bark . Doesn't burn long , but if you prepare not a big deal keeping it going. GAME CHANGER.20170930_124431_001.jpg20171009_090720_001_01.jpg

LO 18". Pain in the butt? Only when I'm already wet, cold or tired. It's not a hard task until weather conquers you, then every little detail matters. I find this stove sets up easy and I can keep my gloves on. I can also cheat and use half of the pipe rings and not all of them. It is durable. I bet I have 100 burns in mine and cleaning the stove pipe simply requires heating it up and then scraping it.

jmden

WKR
The titanium SO box stoves, with the damper assembly, are like having HVAC (pick your temperature) in your tent. Have 3 sizes of them and they work great. They just came out with U-turn, which combines the lighter weight design with a box stove with a flat top.

The box stove, with it's flat top, is more ammenable to cooking on it, I think. We cook sausage patties and hashbrown patties (back pack in a ways) on tin foil on the top of a box stove along with heating up cans of soup, etc. and just boiling water for dehy. Not sure how the cooking sausage, etc. on tinfoil or heating up cants of soup would work on a cannister stove.

I do not get why some folks will go for the lightest wood stove possible, then bring the extra weight and bulk of a gas stove/cannister(s) of some type to cook on. The U-turn design with a nice flat top to cook on should do the trick nicely to be very lightweight and very functional to control heat output and functional for cooking on.

Orions.Quest

Lil-Rokslider
Lemelin is pretty scarce on specs for that stove, namely how much it weighs. Looks pretty nice though

Great point. I let the fabricator know, there will be an update to the website to include that info and some better pics.
Off hand my guess on weight is 6 lbs. The stove fit in a small rubber maid tub with split extra wood

We cook sausage patties and hashbrown patties (back pack in a ways) on tin foil on the top of a box stove along with heating up cans of soup, etc. and just boiling water for dehy. Not sure how the cooking sausage, etc. on tinfoil or heating up cants of soup would work on a cannister stove.

I do not get why some folks will go for the lightest wood stove possible, then bring the extra weight and bulk of a gas stove/cannister(s) of some type to cook on. The U-turn design with a nice flat top to cook on should do the trick nicely to be very lightweight and very functional to control heat output and functional for cooking on.

If you're eating cants of soups and grilling sausage patties and hash browns.....You are really "backpacked in a ways"? I must be a complete Sally....

jb710

FNG
Been running a Kifaru med box stove since before Kifaru was trendy. 5-10 min setting it up, couple dings from being thrown around over the years but its still going strong.

I’ll second this. I was the buddy who packed it in, and volunteered to pack it in every time after our 1st rifle hunt this year. Having a warm tipi was an amazing attitude boost after hauling my “short for my weight” self in when it was in the single digits. It creaked and popped a bit in my pack, but it looked no worse for wear. It’s amazing how good it feels to roll over and get a fire going before you actually have to get out of your bag.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're eating cants of soups and grilling sausage patties and hash browns.....You are really "backpacked in a ways"? I must be a complete Sally....

I was thinking the same thing! I want to go backpacking with that guy.