Those who favored Meindl Perfekt Hikers

Trial153

WKR
Good to see them available, they make a soild boot at their price point

Diesel

WKR
Update on Meindl USA out of Nebraska.

I just got off the phone with them and they tell me the "Comfort Fit" is basically the same boot as the "Perfekt Hunter" with some upgrades. Made in Germany.

Also confirmed that what we suspected. Ex Cabelas employees are at the Meindl USA company. Good for them and I wish them success.

Unfortunately my size (8 1/2 EE) is not available. However I going to try some 9's in D and EE in hopes they work. The guy that called me back said they would work with me it get a good fit.

Hope this answers some questions and all you "Perfect Hunter" guys get the connection.

cmahoney

WKR
I wear wide Solomon’s now after having 2 sets of Meindl’s. I tried kenetreks for late hunts but they tear up my heel’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I might try a pair if they have something close to the old island hunters I had

OP
Mr Drysdale
Just ordered a pair of Comfort Light Hikers. These will be for work, not hunting.
Jethro,
Let me know what you think after some use. I wear my Perfekt’s most every day that I’m not at work (office job). I’m assuming that you wore the Perfekts and liked them?

If you wore the Perfekt Hikers and have moved on, what did you get that you liked as well or better? I actually ordered my third pair last fall (one of the last ones available) and they will last a while but I’m already wondering what will be next. The Meindl’s just fit my feet so that is what I am most interested in.
I worked at Oregon hatcheries a good bit and most all the staff wore them, maybe it was because they got a discount and Oregon administrators like to pay their upper peers but not their "workers", but they all spoke so highly of them, all styles and sizes, that I swore I'd try them someday but have never gotten there ….yet

Jethro

WKR
Mr. D, I will let you know. This will be my first pair of Lite Hikers. I have few pairs of Perfekt Hikers and a pair of Hunters. I find them comfortable. More so on my feet than my Lowa Rangers, which is the only other thing I can compare them too.

I have had a pair of Hunters where the sole started to come off, right where the boot creases when you walk. Cabelas replaced them. The only other negative I've found is in real cold weather I've had the cork bed freeze solid from being wet from sweat. Takes some stiff legged walking too warm it back up and get flexible. This has been teens to single digits.

Year and a half ago my oldest hunting pair got demoted to work boots. I've now worn them 6 days per week since then. Outside job, they get wet then dry at work every day. I've given them no treatment love and they are shot. That's why I'm trying the Lites for my new work boots. I don't blame the boot though since I didn't take care of them. Work boots get much, much less attention than hunting boots.

2rocky

WKR
After a week in Nevada my Perfekts from 10 years ago died a miserable and ugly death last week. Glad I found this thread. Meindl has a really nice sales interface on their website. We will see how quickly the boots arrive. I ordered the same size as my previous PH's.

Mr. D, I will let you know. This will be my first pair of Lite Hikers. I have few pairs of Perfekt Hikers and a pair of Hunters. I find them comfortable. More so on my feet than my Lowa Rangers, which is the only other thing I can compare them too.

I have had a pair of Hunters where the sole started to come off, right where the boot creases when you walk. Cabelas replaced them. The only other negative I've found is in real cold weather I've had the cork bed freeze solid from being wet from sweat. Takes some stiff legged walking too warm it back up and get flexible. This has been teens to single digits.

Year and a half ago my oldest hunting pair got demoted to work boots. I've now worn them 6 days per week since then. Outside job, they get wet then dry at work every day. I've given them no treatment love and they are shot. That's why I'm trying the Lites for my new work boots. I don't blame the boot though since I didn't take care of them. Work boots get much, much less attention than hunting boots.
My first LOWA's were Rangers, like them a lot and still have them, beat to heck as they are they're still serviceable - I have LOWA Tibets (my favorite, on my 3rd pair), GTX Hunters, and I wear Renegades almost year round and sometimes for fair weather hunting - At this point I doubt I'll get around to Meindls but one never knows what "tomorrow" might hold in store, I would not hesitate to try them if I needed

Bluto

WKR
The website is pretty good, but I can't find any useful info with a practical (non-sales pitch) compare/contrast of the comfort fit hunter vs the vakuum hunter. For instance, the way the pitch for comfort fit explains it has a roomier/wider toebox, but is still offered in EE; as are the vakuum's.)

I have a wide forefoot and high arches, just trying to find a boot that fits as well as my previous zamberlan's that are no longer made. Or, if anyone is familiar with both - how the current Meindl USA boots compare to the zamberlan guide's.

Bluto

WKR
Update for anyone curious to fit with wide feet and high arches. I ordered Zamberlan guide, crispi Nevada, and Meindl Vakuum to compare. I’m returning the crispi 10.5 to give them a chance in a 10, and the Zamberlan 10EE fit like a 5 year old boot. It’s perfect....but it’s low and the rand doesn’t go all the way around the boot. I’ll never understand that. Still debating on keeping it and running with gaiters to make up for the height.

That brings me to Meindl. The Vakuum is not their wide last, it it is available in EE. To be fair, I knew this and ordered anyway, because the Perfect Hunter only has a toe rand so I’m concerned about durability. The Vakuum just doesn’t work, the heel is great but the toe box was just way too tight on the 10.5 EE. Returned for a 10 EE, way too much room in the heel, same as the Crispi.

Back to the drawing board.

ericF

WKR
Update for anyone curious to fit with wide feet and high arches. I ordered Zamberlan guide, crispi Nevada, and Meindl Vakuum to compare. I’m returning the crispi 10.5 to give them a chance in a 10, and the Zamberlan 10EE fit like a 5 year old boot. It’s perfect....but it’s low and the rand doesn’t go all the way around the boot. I’ll never understand that. Still debating on keeping it and running with gaiters to make up for the height.

That brings me to Meindl. The Vakuum is not their wide last, it it is available in EE. To be fair, I knew this and ordered anyway, because the Perfect Hunter only has a toe rand so I’m concerned about durability. The Vakuum just doesn’t work, the heel is great but the toe box was just way too tight on the 10.5 EE. Returned for a 10 EE, way too much room in the heel, same as the Crispi.

Back to the drawing board.

Check out the new Zamberlan 981 Wasatch. It looks like an upgrade over the 980 guide and includes the full rand.

Bluto

WKR
Check out the new Zamberlan 981 Wasatch. It looks like an upgrade over the 980 guide and includes the full rand.

Both of their new offerings with a full rand look awesome. I’d actually prefer the cousin, the 966 Saguaro, but neither are available wide. Super frustrating, because their ZWL (Zamberlan Wide Last) fits my foot absolutely perfectly and the boots they offer wide aren’t very good this year. Hopefully that changes, but my hopes are all hinging on a size exchange of Crispi’s. My heels swim in the 10.5’s, same as the Meindl. We’ll see.

Calcoyote

FNG
I purchased a pair of Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas before they were discontinued but purchased too wide a size (10.5 EE). They have less than 10 miles of hiking in them and are as-new condition. I listed them over on iFish and they are not selling. If anyone wants to take a look at the photos over there and let me know if you are interested. I am willing to willing to ship them to your door for $10 or less if the postage is less.

jgrg1215

FNG
Just ordered a pair of Comfort Light Hikers. These will be for work, not hunting.

Jethro, how are you liking the Comfort Light Hikers? I've been thinking about getting a pair of these for hunting. How do they compare to the regular Comfort Hikers (in terms of stiffness, durability, and comfort)? I've never had a pair of Meindl's but they seem to have a loyal following.