Those who use drop camps or are familiar

svivian

WKR
How close is too close to the action?

Been hunting 2nd season OTC cow elk in an area I have for years and have always filled my tag.

Well this year there is a drop camp with two wall tents and a shit tent smack dab in the middle of the best area where elk always are.

Hunted three days and it was a ghost town. Could hear the guys at camp on my way out talking and splitting wood from a few hundred yards away. I also imagine the scent is getting blown down in the mornings and up on the evenings.

So for those in the know what is your experience?

Edit: before anyone on here says it…. I’m not bothered about it just curious as I find it odd. The trail on has several better areas to set up that are 10 minute walks to the best zones to hunt. The area chosen is off the trail requiring traversing horses over a lot of deadfall and seems hidden and tucked away.

Last edited:
what's smack dab?

I killed a bull within 200 yards of a drop camp a few years back, could see the wall tent from where i shot and from where the bull died.

That same year 2 elk were killed within gun range from where I put my spike camp.... not by me.

Last bull I shot was 400yds from where I had stayed that night.

Not ideal but I don't know that it necessarily drives em into the next county either....

OP
svivian

svivian

WKR
what's smack dab?

I killed a bull within 200 yards of a drop camp a few years back, could see the wall tent from where i shot and from where the bull died.

That same year 2 elk were killed within gun range from where I put my spike camp.... not by me.

Last bull I shot was 400yds from where I had stayed that night.

Not ideal but I don't know that it necessarily drives em into the next county either....
100-300 yards from where many elk have been killed. The carcasses of a few are still there from last year.