Those with experience, When flying to hunt...

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Need some quick advice on packing suitcase for air travel to a hunt destination. Do most of you pack your nice glass in a suit case or carry on?
If not in your carry on what items do you see fit for the carry on?
Does a bow case check like normal luggage? Any other travel tips come to mind for a first timer?

Lots of threads about this already if you haven’t searched. All glass (binoculars, spotting scope, camera, rangefinder), valuables go in my carryon. Only exception is a mounted rifle scope stays in the gun case. Bow case gets checked in like a suitcase but may have to pay excess fee for oversize. I always take a change of clothes in my carryon and all meds, car keys and anything else I can’t live without if my checked bags get lost. I always wear my hunting boots on the plane. Saves checked weight and I can’t live without them if they get lost in the checked bag. Many will stuff clothing and extra items in their checked rifle/bow cases up to the 50lb limit to increase additional room in your checked baggage.

+1 to what ringworm said. I would also point out that occasionally, with full flights, carry-on luggage has to be checked at the gate due to limited space onboard. They tag it at the door of the plane then haul it out and stick it in cargo hold with all the other luggage. Some airlines keep it checked until final destination, others return it at the bridge when de-boarding occurs. Along with a change of socks and underwear, maybe an extra shirt, I carry my optics, rangefinder, camera, flashlights, etc. in a backpack that I can fit under the seat. This keeps me from having to check anything at the gate, keeps sensitive items safely in my hands, as well as helps reduce weight of any bags I checked at the counter. If it'll fit under the seat, you don't have to gate-check. Be sure to check your airline's policy on how they handle gate-checked luggage, as well as how to carry batteries, ammunition, checking firearms, etc. Know their rules inside and out. When booking flights, give yourself a decent layover. I shoot for at least an hour on hunting trips because I'd rather have a longer layover than have a tight layover and my gun/bags not get transferred to the next flight because of a time crunch. Get to the airport early enough to make sure any wrinkles you may encounter during the check in process can be ironed out with plenty of time to spare. Last, but definitely not least, be polite.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve done both carry on and packed them in the rifle case. Never had an issue either way but obviously you have the most control over the safety of your stuff when it’s in your possession so carryon must be the safest bet.

I’ve done both carry on and packed them in the rifle case. Never had an issue either way but obviously you have the most control over the safety of your stuff when it’s in your possession so carryon must be the safest bet.
Same here. I prefer to carry any valuables that can be carried but that isn’t always an option or practical.

Also, if flying with ammunition, make sure to know the carriers policies regarding it. They are not all the same. When we flew Emirates to Africa our ammo had to be in a locked case, but couldn’t be in the same case as the firearm. Most (not sure about all) in the US will allow ammunition in the same case as the firearm as long as it is not in the firearm or loosely packed.

Mosby

WKR
The airline you choose can be important. I always fly on Southwest if possible, when going on hunting trips. I have had much fewer problems and you can check two bags for free. I wouldn't fly on United if it was free. Always put multiple name tags on bags including carry on(expect larger carry on to be checked at the gate) and I put contact information on the side of any rifle or bow case I take. Put two locks on.

Get to the airport early to allow time to wait in line and check your stuff. It reduces stress. I've had TSA agents that took quite a bit of time inspecting my case. Others send it right on through. You never know who you're going to get. I fly direct if I can. Building in a decent layover is good advice.

Kilboars

WKR
As mentioned. My Binos, bow sight go in my backpack on the plane. The bow case is over sized but most airlines don’t treat it that way. Come out with the regular luggage rather than being separated as over size and they hand carry it out at another area ( if flying over seas).
I pack my hunting cloth in bags in my bow case but not to tight. Leave them room to open your case, move everything around and then put it back together half assed.

Bring an extra set of Bow Strings that you’ve already shot in. Whisker biscuit in case your rest dies. Small handheld bow press. D loop material ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob86jeep

WKR
Maybe I'm the odd one here but my optics (spotter/binos) goe in my bow case/rifle case. I don't have extremely expensive optics though if that matters. I figure if my bow/rifle case can protect my bow/rifle, then it's fine for my optics as well. Also, since it's locked up and has a bow/rifle inside, I feel people are less likely to steal the entire thing and can't open it to steal specific items.

dtrkyman

WKR
I wear my boots and pack some basic hunting clothes in my carry on in case they lose some of my stuff!

WCB

WKR
Same as most above. Optics in my carry one with a basic change of clothes I could hunt in and either boots in my carry on or on my feet.

Bow gets checked just like any other piece of luggage.

rayporter

WKR
yes to all the above.

now ask about the other stuff that got confiscated that never crossed your mind.

like a stove still in the shrink wrap. or matches or a lighter and fuel tabs

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the responses!!! You guys/this community is great

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I fly to Canada and Mexico yearly to hunt and will tell you that *some* airline workers along with *some* TSA agents are notorious thieves. No way I would ever put anything of value in a checked bag. I’ve learned the hard way as well as witnessed first hand things being stolen at airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check and declare a handgun in your bow case. This way the case is locked and it can only be opened by the single inspector.

I would imagine that if this bag got lost the airline would find it very quickly if it contained a firearm in their possession....

Nerhunter

FNG
Extra set of TSA locks in your carry on as those pricks will often cut or lose one of your locks upon bow or rifle case inspection so you need back-ups! Back-up binocs or rangefinder per group as one set being stolen or broken in travel can impact a hunt destroy a hunt.

LLB

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use TSA locks on my rifle case. I used Master locks and went with the rifle to the inspectors where they had me unlock and inspect the case then relock it. Use a direct flight if possible. Carry on your optics or put in rifle/bow case. I have foam in my case with cutouts for rifle, ammo and anything else I want stored. I don't know if bow cases are the same.

SteveinMN

FNG
This probably varies by carrier, but I fly MSP to DEN for bow season. As much as I can't stand the company I keep flying Frontier because I can generally get my ticket for around $50 round trip (before luggage fees). Reading about their luggage policy they will charge oversize for my bow case BUT hockey equipment does not get the oversize charge so my bow case goes into a hockey bag (essentially a large duffel) with clothing and stuff packed loosely around it for padding. Moral of the story is spend 10 to 20 minutes reading luggage policy and you can probably save some money.

My optics are crap so they just go in the bow case. If I had nice ones they'd be in my carryon backpack for sure right next to my laptop and a set of clothes that I could hunt in should my bag be delayed.