Thought Process on 30 vs 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Its easier and much less fuss to open a zip if you are hot, than it is to wake up cold and then convince yourself to get up and add layers. I know i would probably lie in a limbo like state for a while before i put more layers on, less quality sleep. Im sure there are plenty that will chime in who use the 30 bag and additional layers who are happy doing so.

I think AndyB nailed it perfectly...I've been there!

I've had a 15 now for quite a few years, and it has been perfect for me in Alaska from spring bear hunting to remote pack-raft fishing to late fall moose and October Kodiak goats.

rayporter

WKR
you can boost a 30 by adding some velcro to it and then getting a top mantle to add over the bag. not an over bag but a 6 ft by 3 ft piece of insulation velcroed so it wont slide off.

Qualifying this with the fact that I've not yet had the opportunity to use my bag.

I was debating between a 15 and a 20/0 dual bag system. I ended up going with a 15 (WM badger), with overfill, so maybe closer to a 10 if you believe in the advertised benefits of overfill. The weight difference from the 20 or 0 bags is negligible in either direction, but it's so spacious that I have plenty of room to layer up without compromising the loft in colder temps. The baffels should make it easy to adjust for temperature changes. Also, based on past experience camping in single digits in a 15* bag, there's no way Ill do that again without a stove and extra bags/sleeping pad layers, even if I had the 0 bag.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If only one bag I’d opt for the 15 degree with a full zip to allow venting.
In the high Sierra in mid-September it can get well below freezing where extra layers would be required for a 30 degree bag.
For a pure weight savings perspective going with a 15 degree will weigh less than a 30 degree with puffy pants, extra clothing, ect....
Plus a 15-20 degree bag in my opinion is the most versatile.

OP
F
If only one bag I’d opt for the 15 degree with a full zip to allow venting.
In the high Sierra in mid-September it can get well below freezing where extra layers would be required for a 30 degree bag.
For a pure weight savings perspective going with a 15 degree will weigh less than a 30 degree with puffy pants, extra clothing, ect....
Plus a 15-20 degree bag in my opinion is the most versatile.

I do not disagree that a 15/20 degree is the most versatile do it all bag. However, I bring a puffy jacket with me on every trip and either have mid weight pant or a light weight pant with a base layer. I also have a beanie hat with me on every trip. Again, this would be with me whether its august or october. So, If I go with a 30 degree I would just wear all all my clothes to bed including the puffy in below freezing temps. We all pay alot of money for a expensive cloth layering system. My as well utilize them sleeping as well.

Wrench

WKR
I can tell you that the difference between my 23* sea to summit and 15* western mountaineering is about 20* and two ounces.

At 30*, I'm freezing my ass off in the 23* yet just pulling the zipper closed on my 15.

Some things are worth the price.

OP
F
To close the loop, I stayed with my order of the 15 degree bag. I went with the SG Chilkoot 15. I have owned WM prior so it will be a good comparison.

OP
F
In my continued research of gear I do have another thought on using a specific 30 degree bag. While researching Feather Friends, I noticed the Swift 30 had some specs that really stood out.

Fabric: 20D Pertex
shoulder width: 64"
Full length zipper
15.7oz of 900fill down in regular (6').
28oz

So, if you compare the same specs and size the Western Mountaineering brand (Megalite) this Swift 30 blows it out of water. Megalite has 12oz of down.

My point not all 30 degree bags are created equal. with 15.7 oz of 900 fill down I bet that bags comfort is 28 - 30 degrees, with a lower limit of 18 degrees.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I tend to go with a warmer bag because there are so many things I can change or leave home to lose the pack weight if necessary and an extra pound of goose down can make a big difference in comfort. I don't like being cold and I don't like having to use every trick in the book the wring a warm night's sleep out of a bag.

Dart368

FNG
One thing I didn't see mentioned is the importance of your sleeping pad. A lot of heat is lost through the ground and a pad with less insulation is going to make you colder than a pad that is more insulated.
You can probably do fine with the lighter bag and add a good, lightweight pad that is well insulated like the Neoair Thermx or one of the Sea To Summit pads. I wasn't a big believer until I did some research on the importance a pad makes in staying warm.

OP
F
Rei magma 17 !

What funny about that is the REI Magma 15 has 15.9 oz of 850 fill down whereas the Feathered Friends Swift 30 has 15.7oz of 900 fill down. Again, this is where I say this 30 bag probably performs more inline with most 20 degree bags.

I would bet this 30 bag is warmer than the Magma 15. f

For What it is worth, ($0.00)
I go on the Dusy Ershim trail every fall in my Jeep. If your not familiar it is high eastern Sierras.
I have brought a 30* bag a 15* bag and a 0* bag. The 30 was by far the most comfortable until one frigid night. The following year I brought the 0* bag and cooked human soup. 15 is too warm most of the time and it is annoying sleeping with the zippers open but it is cheap insurance for those occasional really cold nights you can get up in the high sierras.

Beendare

WKR
This might help you;

I have both; 30 deg and 15 deg.

I almost never use my 30.

Yeah its a little bit more compact....and a little lighter....still.......

OP
F
For What it is worth, ($0.00)
I go on the Dusy Ershim trail every fall in my Jeep. If your not familiar it is high eastern Sierras.
I have brought a 30* bag a 15* bag and a 0* bag. The 30 was by far the most comfortable until one frigid night. The following year I brought the 0* bag and cooked human soup. 15 is too warm most of the time and it is annoying sleeping with the zippers open but it is cheap insurance for those occasional really cold nights you can get up in the high sierras.

Sage advice. I currently own a 15 degree. for the extra 7oz seems like i'm better off sticking with the 15. Plus I can run that into late season and use my puffy jacket and pants into single digits if need be.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Sage advice. I currently own a 15 degree. for the extra 7oz seems like i'm better off sticking with the 15. Plus I can run that into late season and use my puffy jacket and pants into single digits if need be.
You chose wisely, based on my experience. I have a 15 and a 30. The 30 gets used, but mostly in July! The 15 gets the bulk of my use.