Thoughts and Opinions on Wyoming/Montana Border Living.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My father in law is looking to retire to northern Wyoming right on the Montana border. He’s looking in Thermopolis and Powell areas.
My family will plan to live on their property for the summers and he farms. My mother in law and wife train horses. They are looking for 30-100 acres and their money from selling their ranch here will go a long way over there.
Curious about general thoughts on living there from reasonable folks so that’s why I’m asking here.
Thanks!

Mt Al

WKR
My 2 cents and I'm not sure if I qualify for reasonable:
If rural living is something the family can deal with, you'd have a hard time finding a better place to live. I'm a big fan of Sheridan, Cody, Powell, etc.. and if I wasn't established where I am, would be looking there. South/Eastern MT is right next door for antelope and mule deer when you draw and upland game, predators. You get all that and more in Wyoming. Wyoming is and will be going through a transformation as the world reduces coal use for electricity, but I honestly don't know how big of a deal it will be for the average resident.
Billings is close for a mid-sized place to shop, have dinner, etc.. I grew up there so am biased.

Like everywhere around here, prices are rising like crazy as people migrate away from insanity.

jolemons

WKR
Thermop is definately not what I'd call on the border, even Powell is a good 100 miles from Billings. Powell gets you close to Cody and Billings with a small college town feel. I would never want to live in Thermop, it's too remote for me. Best people you'll ever find are in northwest WY in my opinion. A drive through that country would be highly recommended. You can make the loop from Thermop to Worland then up to Powell through Greybull.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
There's lots of good folks around there and a lot to do as long as you like being in the woods and prairies.

Scorpion

WKR
Powell is nice, good buddy lived close near Deaver. 40-45 min to Cody and not a bad drive to Billings. Best to make a trip there in winter to see if you really like it, though.