Thoughts on 6.5-284

NBChance

FNG
It's tough to trade that kind of accuracy for another 150 FPS in velocity, but a guy has to determine what is most important for his application. I too get really excited about tiny groups, but I am a hunter, not a target shooter. If I can get the higher velocity and still group between .5 - .75 MOA, that's probably a trade worth making if I am looking for the best terminal ballistics and reaching out to the 400 yd mark. I'm not a "long range shooter", but like the bullet to get there fast (less wind effect) and to make a clean kill. Again, what also really impresses me about RE 23 is how clean it keeps my barrel. The less scrubbing I need to do the better off my barrel will be, and not to mention less work. I also like the load density of RE 23. I'm not compressing any loads with it, and this makes it easier on my competition sleeved seating die.

ID_Matt

WKR
I have been looking into building a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5 284 for backcountry mule deer, any major pros / cons between the two, I plan to reload only.

I have both... 6.5 PRC in a long action and a 6.5-284 in a tikka action. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you already have an action, just go with what works with that. if you are building from scratch, both rounds fit perfect in a tikka platform. if I was doing it from the ground up, I would build a 6.5 PRC in a medium action. I think the PRC has a slight edge in velocity due to about 2 grains more of powder but it is splitting hairs. Both rounds have great brass and in my experience, with the 156 gr berger are absolute hammers on game.

I know guys that have built both on short actions and not been super happy due to being restricted on length... I think both rounds really shine with medium or long actions. If you are not concerned with shooting the heavier bullets and squeezing as much performance as you can, then a short action can suffice.

I've hunted with one for years on and off. For some reason the 6.5-284 seems to kill quicker and penetrates well. Shot through a whitetail doe (throat to rear) from 437 yards with a 140 GameKing. I plan to load a box of ELD-X for this coming year.

I’ve read this thread at least four times n the past year. Great info and the details on y’alls hand loads are most valuable. I’m highly probable on acquiring a 6.5-284 just as soon as possible.

NBChance , that Cooper Timberline you’re holding is a unicorn right now (& has been!).

khuber84

WKR
I switched from peterson to lapua brass, stuck with same seating depth with 156 bergers and RL26. Took an additional half grain to get back to one hole accuracy. Middle group is 54.2gr @ 2960fps from my Christensen ridgeline.
20211121_164948.jpg

NBChance

FNG
I just returned from my Gunnison Basin CO 3rd season mule deer hunt, which took all of my 20 points to draw. While I was not able to get a shot on the buck of a lifetime that I was hoping for, I took a very nice, heavy horned 4X4 in the last hour of my 7 day season. The buck was huge bodied and in full rut. I took a broadside shot at 150 yds, while he was standing in sparse aspens and hit him in the sweet spot right behind the shoulder. He humped up at the shot and made it about 5 yds before being done. I was using my 6.5-284 Cooper Timberline with my load consisting of 127 gr Barnes LRX, in front of 52.8 gr RE 23, Lapua brass, and CCI 200 primer. MV measured at about 3050fps. I could not have been more pleased with the performance of this load. The shot was a complete pass through, with a substantial exit wound. There were chunks of lung on the ground where the bullet exited. There was minimal bloodshot meat on the foreside ribs, and none anywhere else. The shot was as lethal as you can get and the buck expired quickly. And, there were no lead fragments to deal with. I am sold on this round, my particular load, and on Barnes bullets. I've also taken two nice muleys with my muzzleloader and Barnes TMZ 290 bullets with similar results. I'm a believer in Barnes.

I'm finding the 6.5-284 to be an ideal round for deer and antelope. I don't use the muzzle brake that came with my gun, (even on the bench) as felt recoil is very tame without it. It is an accurate and deadly round, and can reach out there if needed.

I just returned from my Gunnison Basin CO 3rd season mule deer hunt, which took all of my 20 points to draw. While I was not able to get a shot on the buck of a lifetime that I was hoping for, I took a very nice, heavy horned 4X4 in the last hour of my 7 day season. The buck was huge bodied and in full rut. I took a broadside shot at 150 yds, while he was standing in sparse aspens and hit him in the sweet spot right behind the shoulder. He humped up at the shot and made it about 5 yds before being done. I was using my 6.5-284 Cooper Timberline with my load consisting of 127 gr Barnes LRX, in front of 52.8 gr RE 23, Lapua brass, and CCI 200 primer. MV measured at about 3050fps. I could not have been more pleased with the performance of this load. The shot was a complete pass through, with a substantial exit wound. There were chunks of lung on the ground where the bullet exited. There was minimal bloodshot meat on the foreside ribs, and none anywhere else. The shot was as lethal as you can get and the buck expired quickly. And, there were no lead fragments to deal with. I am sold on this round, my particular load, and on Barnes bullets. I've also taken two nice muleys with my muzzleloader and Barnes TMZ 290 bullets with similar results. I'm a believer in Barnes.

I'm finding the 6.5-284 to be an ideal round for deer and antelope. I don't use the muzzle brake that came with my gun, (even on the bench) as felt recoil is very tame without it. It is an accurate and deadly round, and can reach out there if needed.
Awesome report! Would love to see pics if you have any. Thanks.

NBChance

FNG
Here's the antelope I took in WY last year with my Cooper. I used my 130gr Accubond load for this speed goat. I'm now 2 for 2 with my 6.5-284.IMG_2002.JPG

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any insight on putting a 6.5-284 barrel on a tikka t3x action? Sounds like i would need a long action bolt stop to make it work? The only thing is the CTR mags are limited at 2.950 is that going to be a problem?

NBChance

FNG
Just realized I missed Go West's question. My Cooper wears a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10 X 40mm CDS. I love the CDS system. I also like to keep my objective size on the smaller side. 40 mm is as big as I go. I own 3 VX-3 scopes and they are perfect for what I need in a scope - good optical quality and great mechanical reliability. I save my high end optics purchases for my binoculars and spotting scopes where I own Swarovski and Kowa.

B23

WKR
Anyone have any insight on putting a 6.5-284 barrel on a tikka t3x action? Sounds like i would need a long action bolt stop to make it work? The only thing is the CTR mags are limited at 2.950 is that going to be a problem?
If you're looking to get the absolute maximum velocity out of a 6.5-284 that 2.950 OAL is going to hold you back a little but you'll still be able to get 3000fps with the 140's and more depending on the barrel length and around 2900 with the 156's.

The 6.5-284 is probably my favorite standard bolt face cartridge. Lapua brass is always available and reasonably priced, great ballistics, it's easy to load for, what's not to like.

BigRutt

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking to get the absolute maximum velocity out of a 6.5-284 that 2.950 OAL is going to hold you back a little but you'll still be able to get 3000fps with the 140's and more depending on the barrel length and around 2900 with the 156's.

The 6.5-284 is probably my favorite standard bolt face cartridge. Lapua brass is always available and reasonably priced, great ballistics, it's easy to load for, what's not to like.
Yeah I really want one bad. They seem very accurate and Im over the creedmoor just too slow for my liking. I will probably run a 22" barrel maybe 24" because I will have a can on it sometimes. It would be awesome to get 2900 with a 22" barrel. I would mainly run 143's (140grain weight class) and 156's. Would a 1:8 twist stabilize those rounds well?

I was looking at criterion prefits for my tikka sounds like a fun way to play with my gun.

B23

WKR
With reasonable pressures RL26 will most likely give you your best velocity and should get you into the 2900's with the 140's and other powders should get you darn close if not 2900 even with a 22in pipe. An 8tw will stabilize up to the 156's and is what my 6.5-284 wears as well.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I really want one bad. They seem very accurate and Im over the creedmoor just too slow for my liking. I will probably run a 22" barrel maybe 24" because I will have a can on it sometimes. It would be awesome to get 2900 with a 22" barrel. I would mainly run 143's (140grain weight class) and 156's. Would a 1:8 twist stabilize those rounds well?

I was looking at criterion prefits for my tikka sounds like a fun way to play with my gun.
Yes indeed !
I am looking at a ReMage in either this round or a Wea. RPM.