Thoughts on 60 Years on Reloading

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
When I loaded my first cartridges almost sixty years ago, I started with a hammer powered Lee Loader. Loading for a war surplus M98 Mauser purchased from Montgomery Wards, I was able to fashion cartridges that were reasonably accurate (3" at 100 yds.. Sometimes better. Sometimes worse.) Had sufficient power to kill a deer, as evidenced by being able to shoot through a 2-3" pine sapling. No chronograph necessary. My entire reloading kit (including components) fit into a shoe box with room to spare. Cartridges were expensive back then costing anywhere from $3.50-$10.00 per box, depending on what you shot and where you shopped. I could manufacture a box of 20 deer loads for less that $1.50. The driving force for reloading was purely economic. Once I learned (or believed) that factory cartridges were not as accurate as expected, I concluded that I could make better and more accurate ammunition than the factories and cost be damned. Traveling down that slippery slope, the little shoe box has burgeoned into a massive loading bench packed with tools and components that takes up 1/3 of our garage, and the monster keeps growing. Sometimes, I miss that little shoe box.

mmac

WKR
Sawfish, wish I could absorb some of the knowledge you have picked up and save myself the mistakes.... Interesting that you now have to reload because you can't buy ammo in your state. The reason I started to reload was because I lived in Cal and realized I needed an option when they found a way to stop the sales. Guess they have.....

OP
Sawfish

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Just another way for California to "try" and control guns in the hands of its citizenry. I emphasized "try" because CA gun owners are not giving an inch. I have never seen a damn Condor, and now our ammo purchases are restricted because of one! Not giving up.

vakid

FNG
When I loaded my first cartridges almost sixty years ago, I started with a hammer powered Lee Loader. Loading for a war surplus M98 Mauser purchased from Montgomery Wards, I was able to fashion cartridges that were reasonably accurate (3" at 100 yds.. Sometimes better. Sometimes worse.) Had sufficient power to kill a deer, as evidenced by being able to shoot through a 2-3" pine sapling. No chronograph necessary. My entire reloading kit (including components) fit into a shoe box with room to spare. Cartridges were expensive back then costing anywhere from $3.50-$10.00 per box, depending on what you shot and where you shopped. I could manufacture a box of 20 deer loads for less that $1.50. The driving force for reloading was purely economic. Once I learned (or believed) that factory cartridges were not as accurate as expected, I concluded that I could make better and more accurate ammunition than the factories and cost be damned. Traveling down that slippery slope, the little shoe box has burgeoned into a massive loading bench packed with tools and components that takes up 1/3 of our garage, and the monster keeps growing. Sometimes, I miss that little shoe box.
Gee, I felt like I was reading my loading history! But, I've only been at it for 47 years. I still have my first Lee loader.

OP
Sawfish

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of history, I wish that all of you could have seen gun shows in the days before the Gun Control Act of 1968. Cash and carry OTC sales. Tables pilled high with surplus Inglis high powers and 9mm Astra autos, which could be had for $25. If you were flush with cash, you could be the proud owner of a very fine Inglis (Canadian) Hi-Power for under $40. Pristine Mauser 98 specimens with matching serial numbered milled parts $30. I once bought a package deal containing a .303 British Lee Enfield, a Schmidt-Ruben 7.5 Swiss, a 7mm Japanese Arisaka and an unfired Moison-Nagent 7.62 Russian rifle made by Westinghouse and marked with the Imperial Crest of the Czar. All for the princely sum of $125. Danish Madsen paratroop carbines still in the wrapper for $45. Add $5 for a new matching bayonet. R-P Palma Match 30/06 ammo $1.00 per box. Even with all of this availability, the crime data was virtually nil. Never see any of those guns today, and I often wonder what became of them.

Last edited:

BadDogPSD

WKR
Just another way for California to "try" and control guns in the hands of its citizenry. I emphasized "try" because CA gun owners are not giving an inch. I have never seen a damn Condor, and now our ammo purchases are restricted because of one! Not giving up.
There is talk here in Nevada of restoring the Condor to their historic ranges... I see this as a long term plan to follow in Californias footsteps to restrict ammo, & hunting. Since many of our elected officials came from CA this seems very possible...

Rich M

WKR
I have a Lee "nut cracker" reloader (and a spare) - will reload while watching TV. They come out pretty good too.

Never did gun "shows" but the old gun shops were a sight to behold. Not so much these days. Have one near where I work that is wall to wall, used guns - love it just need an excuse...

OP
Sawfish

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
There is talk here in Nevada of restoring the Condor to their historic ranges... I see this as a long term plan to follow in Californias footsteps to restrict ammo, & hunting. Since many of our elected officials came from CA this seems very possible...
Perhaps you should "send them back" (to CA).

people leave a state because it is a mess yet bring those same attitudes with them that caused the problems . That is what scares me in sega , haveing a bunch of left wing left coast commie liberals invade our state. They promised to leave over the abortion issue,,,hope they do and stay out

kowalski

FNG
Just started buying various dies because of the recent ca legislation that has passed. Lead free bullets are pricey, makes it hard to make low budget reloads.

kickemall

WKR
"Sometimes, I miss that little shoe box."

Ain't that the truth! I could apply that to almost everything.

vakid

FNG
I still vividly remember killing my first deer with my reloads. I felt like the king of the world!!

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been in the reloading game for very long...only 5 years or so. My dad always just reloaded for my guns. He's been at it for 45 years or so and tells me the story that he threw powder in a case and if he could hit a pie plate at 100 yards he was good to go. Of course he was broke back then. He's retired now and has too much time to surf the net. He laughs and says he can't believe how loosely he reloaded back in the day. Reloading is so addictive if you are into the precision, squeezing every bit of accuracy you can out of a gun. I really enjoy it and my kids love "helping" me. They are 4 and 5.

16Bore

WKR
I think I lasted about 4 years, in fact, I just pulled all the pages from my notes of the cartridges from guns gone down the road and it’s damn near empty.

I’m might load some odds and ends for an excuse to share a beer on a buddies press, but I’m done with all that shit. Right back where I started with basic chamberings and wish I’d never touched it. Analysis paralysis and was happy to sell all the crap.

Got better things to do.

I bought a Dillon xl650 about 8 years ago. ~12+ die sets,holders,scales ,tool heads, spare parts, etc,etc.
Haven't even assembled it yet. It's so cheap to buy accurate factory loaded ammo or bulk plinking loads that I've never been fully motivated to get it set up. Closest I've come is tumbling 7 buckets of brass.
Someday I'll set it up and rock n roll out some reloads.....

Wrench

WKR
30 years ago I too started with the lee loader. I remember scooping imr 4831 into my 300roy with good results and using the same scoop and locking that bolt up so tight that the old man nearly beat me with the same 2x4 he beat the bolt open with.

I still have a lee loader in 300roy and 270win. I too now have a room with 10's of thousands of bullets and more powder than I care to discuss.

Life was sure easy when a scoop and a hammer netted 1.5" and a smile.

Fajkus5

FNG
I’ve only been in the reloading game about 2 years now but so far I love it. Sure is fun to see a load that you made group well or bring down and animal.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Just started about 1 yr ago. I am enjoying it WAY more than I expected to.
For the way MY mind works, it’s very zen like therapy. ...clear steps, detail, fine tuning..
It’s somthing to occupy my thoughts instead of stressing over uncontrollable real life shiz.