Thoughts on a DT Covert or standard SRS A2

Vandy321

WKR
No intention of starting the barrel length war...just throwing this out there to see what I may be missing / overlooking in my research on a Desert Tech

The SRS platform is just too appealing to me not to want...the conversion packages, the availability (although $$) of aftermarket bbls in almost any caliber you can dream up. the simplicity, the smaller profile (i think the Covert .308 is something like 25" overall length and weighs 8lbs), and all that with a sub .5 moa rifle with factory match ammo.

If i go the DT route, I was thinking about going back to a .308, it's a 16" bbl...or there is 6.5 creed in an 18" bbl...both have a variety of good/fairly cheap match ammo and would be a solid rifle for predetors and small / med size game. Then, you always have the ability for another $1200 to throw on a full sized bbl in 300 RUM, 300wm, 338lm etc for say an elk hunt.

From folks who've shot 16 - 18" bbls on tac rifles...what are your thoughts on it? What about strapping it to a pack and taking it hunting? Sure would be nice to not weave a 35" rifle through the trees...

I got one for ya...

They are really cool and my two barrels both shot better than I have been able to shoot with any of my other rifles. Some thoughts:
  1. The ergos aren't for everyone, they are a bit different without having that weight forward. One of the main reasons I'm selling mine is that it worked out to be a range gun and if i'm going to have a range gun getting a lot of volume, I'd rather it have similar ergos to my hunting rifles.
  2. They are heavy-when I used to hunt near a buddies place where we would glass near roads and have a chance for a long shot, a 16# norma made sense. I haven't hunted in a similar manner for a while and a 16# rifle doesn't make sense in the way ive been hunting.
  3. I love the switch barrel/cartridge concept. It is as easy as it looks.
  4. The possibilities are endless if you want to make a cannon on a lapua improved or 338XC type case
  5. You can get aftermarket barrels for like $850 with barrel extensions included when I was last looking a few years ago. Cheaper if you are reusing a barrel extension. I think my Hawk hill norma barrel with cerakote and muzzle threads was still under $900
  6. I don't like the idea of the coverts. I could see the balance being really awkward. Also, it's easier to get stable while prone if the bipod is further forward. The bipod is already closer to the trigger with a standard length SRS fore end than a traditional bolt gun, the shorter covert would be worse.

I'm in the same boat, really considering it. It would save me $$ in the long run vs 3+ different rifles and optics.
To give you more options, Short Action Customs, Special Purpose Rifles, Primal Rights, ES Tactical and others will make any custom barrel you can dream up. Carbon fiber or steel, any caliber and contour.

I'm in the same boat, really considering it. It would save me $$ in the long run vs 3+ different rifles and optics.
To give you more options, Short Action Customs, Special Purpose Rifles, Primal Rights, ES Tactical and others will make any custom barrel you can dream up. Carbon fiber or steel, any caliber and contour.

SAC and Primal Rights (via TS customs) barrels cost an arm and a leg. When I was last looking at barrels a few years ago ES Tactical, DMR (formerly "barrels by Ty"), and benchmark (sells chambered barrels directly) were all $800-900.

Special Purpose Rifles might be reasonable too but I dont recall. They are who i purchased the rifle through and were good to work with.