Thoughts on a lightweight folding shotgun for small/medium game.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Guessing you’re talking Georgia mountains. I’ve got two of the Yildiz above, 12 O/U and a 20 side by. When I do the kind of hunting you’re talking about I tote the 20 with bird shot. A 22 mag is legal for small game on WMAs so a cheap wrangler on your hip could work.

Have you had any issues with the Yildiz? How heavy is the 20 sxs? Good call on the wrangler in 22 mag. I have a rough rider and have considered using it for this purpose, but I’d really like to have shotgun for more versatility.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have not shot it a ton, TSS is expensive! Hah but I sighted it in with a couple shots and shot 3 birds last year with no issues. 5lbs 10oz with sling/ extended choke / optic and flip flop recoil pad (it kicks pretty good with turkey loads, don't think I'd want a 12 in one of these)

That looks great folded. Congrats on the three birds! So it came threaded for chokes too? That’s a really nice, lightweight, and compact set up.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Yep, they are a knockoff of the Beretta 412 and uses the Mobil chokes

Awesome.

Also, I appreciate the advice on the 20 gauge recoil and not wanting a 12 gauge in this package. I’m now rethinking the idea of a 12 gauge.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 20ga for sure. I only enjoy the 410 as a novelty, and 12ga doesn't offer enough extra to justify the kick and carry weight. Those are just opinions, so do whatever you want with them.

Around here, many of our public hunting grounds are non-toxic shot only regardless of your target species. For squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, etc. I'd carry steel 5's or 6's. For ducks, I'd size up. Anyway, just make sure you don't carry lead in a non-tox only area. I'm to the point now where I just leave my bird vest filled up with non-tox so I don't screw up and have to decide whether to drive home or risk getting caught.

Have you had any issues with the Yildiz? How heavy is the 20 sxs? Good call on the wrangler in 22 mag. I have a rough rider and have considered using it for this purpose, but I’d really like to have shotgun for more versatility.

Sorry for slow response - that gun has been under my back seat for a week or two.

I know a guy that runs a quail/duck/turkey guide service and has seen his share of shotgun blasts. He recommended the Yildiz saying it’s the best you’ll do until you get to Citori money. I trusted his word and was really impressed with the 12 O/U… then grabbed a 20 double barrel on a whim. I haven’t shot the 20 much but I’m pleased so far. The 12 has been rock solid. It’s a great purchase for a guy that doesn’t shoot clays or bird religiously.

Btw the 20 weighs in at just under 5 lbs 9 oz empty.

Haven’t thought about it until just now but I suppose a guy could put buck shot and an open choke in case you ran into hog. I’d shoot at one with anything in arms length tho.

CF26490F-F8BB-4465-B663-23F4A10ABD6E.jpeg