Thoughts on BaseMap?

JRMiller

WKR
Ive used OnX last five years or so but recently have been eying BaseMap and tried the free portion.
Any users who have used both extensively enough to give a fair opinion?

CDS8034

FNG
I’ve also used onX for the last 4-5 years. I purchased BaseMap this spring and used it on a few shed hunting outings. Personally I had a hard time adjusting to it. The layout is different and I had some issues with maps that I downloaded. Also, not sure why, but the process of downloading the maps seems to take way longer than with onX(while using WiFi). I am going to play around with it a little more to see if I am able to get used to it. But as of now, I foresee myself going back to onX.

Same as above I tried basemap, but I'm so used to onx and it's way more user friendly I'm my opinion. Maybe that's because ive used onx almost on a daily basis for probably last 3 years.

I tried same thing few shed trips just using the tracking and marking sheds. Ended up going back to onx

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
I have spent quite a bit of time on both.

ONX was very user friendly, but I had major issues with getting maps to download. And I contacted customer support multiple times with no help.

Basemap is not quite as user friendly, but they are constantly upgrading and it’s getting better all the time. Map details are better, and customer support is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calcoyote

FNG
The deal I got on Basemap was cheap enough that I have both. I realize that might not be the answer the original poster was looking for.

Like some others, I have learned onX found it to be great in the field. I have had zero problems downloading maps. I have had to call tech support three times and all three times I was able to talk with someone within a minute or two and got my tech questions answered. Maybe I am just lucky.

I have pulled up the unit in NE Oregon that I plan on elk hunting this fall in both applications and could not see any better detail with one over the other. Either one is a great resource. It is more like Ford vs Chevy. Just buy whichever one you like use it.

i tried basemap for a little bit but went back to onx. i dont know if onx was mroe intuitive or i was just used to it. maybe I will give it another shot down the road

Have used onX Maps for 3 years now and BaseMap for about 8 mos. As much as I like the imagery on BaseMap slightly more than onX's, I ended upp going back to onX. User friendlier, more accessible, and faster downloads.

Whichever one of them creates a truly robust data management and sharing system can have all my money. And I mean... Spreadsheets listing data points, category tags, groups and share groups.

A guy can dream right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood

Lil-Rokslider
I have used onx for 3 years and just recently bought basemap to compare the two. I do like the geardrop that basemap does makes me change my active layers a lot. I do find myself using onx more right now but for a 1/3 the cost im trying to force myself to switch to basemap. I do really like the 3d earth layer on basemap for escouting.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Been comparing for the last 6 months.

Basemaps is super slow on my iPhone 8, there's a lot going on, too much imo, not user friendly, map scrolling is hard, unrelevant data pops up frequently while trying to navigate. Resolution is better, cost is better, all western states. They have definitely increased their advertising, podcasters are talking about them, they've got some major shows repping them, seems like they are trying to improve.

OnX runs much better offline, very user friendly, less going on in the screen, easy to navigate. Way too many waypoint options, who cares about sheds, whitetails, turkeys... at least let me delete ones I'll never use, or hide them. They've owned the market, have more experience, but are getting complacent.

I'll keep using both and probably commit to one right before season.

FreeRange

WKR
I use Gaia, basemap and onX and like them in that order while in the field. I have just been let down by bug issues with onX too many times to trust it in the field any more. OnX is really great when hunting public/private interface areas but beyond that I just find it lacking. The 3D view in basemap blows the “3D” of onX our of the water and the 3D is really helpful in the crazy steep of north Idaho. I totally get that basemap is the hardest to adjust to but overall have found it reliable where onX has failed at critical times. At this point I’d rather pay for all three and have the multiple image layers and redundancy.