Thoughts on Bear Grizzly recurve?

Been thinking of buying a Bear Grizzly for a second bow. Currently in a Satori.

Anyone have any experiences with them? Reviews run all the way from the greatest bow ever made to a good mid range bow to pieces of junk.

I’m thinking If i shoot it good the satori may be for sale

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a super kodiak. It’s not bad, not great or really notable but it’s a good bow for the 425.00 I paid for it. I think the grizzly is a step down but I don’t know what that means. I wanted bear stuff for a long time. By the time I finally got around to getting back into trad, apparently bear isn’t what it used to be. That being said, I don’t have anything negative to say about my bear.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my gf one. Tell ya what it’s a nice bow imo. Basic but seems to be made right and fun to shoot. There are no bushings or anything in it but I use none anyhow. Some guys will complain the riser back is a little square. If you’re not fisting it and you shouldn’t be you won’t even notice. Don’t hesitate to buy the bow.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my 45# Bear Super Grizzly a couple years back and it has shot well for me and it looks good IMO. It hangs on pegs more now that I have a Bob Lee but if something happened to my BL I wouldn't hesitate to walk into the woods with my Super Grizzly.

Attachments

• Super Grizzly.jpg
    Super Grizzly.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 35

Ddog

WKR
I've owned and hunted with a few older ones over the years, not a bad one in the bunch. You can find em used for pretty cheap to try out. Bear's "working man's bow" for decades. Set it up and get some arrows tuned to it and it's as good as anything else in it's class. Haven't shot any newer ones, but if you wanted the warranty I've heard good things about their customer service.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
The bear grizzly is an underwhelming performer according to the tests performed by the trad lab. With that being said I own a beautiful zebra wood grizzly that I enjoy shooting.

Beendare

WKR
There are a lot of guys that love them…at some point decades ago, it was the hunting bow of choice.

My take; Bowyers and technology has caught up. The custom Boyers are outperforming those generic bear bows. The ILF limbs, even the cheapie name brand limbs outperform those Bear bows; smoother, quieter, faster.

By all means play around with one it’s a big part of our archery history but my guess is you will return to your ILF set up.

OP
Txtrophy85
I’m just trying to shoot whitetail deer around 10-15 yards with it.

I like the Hoyt but I’m not in love with it. Looking for something different

Bear bows seem to be pretty polarizing in the trad world. Folks either love or hate them.

I’ve shot them all, thanks to the local place stocking all their models. The only ones I put in the “love” camp are the takedown, the Cheyenne, and most of all the Kodiak Magnum. All the others I didn’t care for.

What I would like about Bear, is that it’s a CNC mass-produced bow; which means you can get another if there’s ever a problem and it will be the exact same.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I just got my first trad kills this past week, a snowshoe hare and a few ptarmigans so I dont have any experience with deer but it seems like you should be able to kill a whitetail at that distance with pretty much anything as long as you can hit it right?

Fordguy

WKR
I had one as a kid in 40 lb (might have been 45) Loved it. Shot the bullseye out of my target practicing from 10 to 15 yards. I wish I still had it. Then again it might not help. Somewhere along the line I lost the ability to shoot like I did back then. Lol. Too many years relying on pulleys and sights.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
The Bear Grizzly is the F150 of trad bows. Not fancy, but work as advertised. I've owned and used several, and would not hesitate to buy another if the price was right. I have no experience with the newer Bears, but a vintage 1960-70 bow will serve you well if you can find one.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

You can do that with anything. A grizzly will get it done. We're just letting you know that they aren't great bows performance wise. You can go look at how they fared in testing at the trad lab.

Heck I was just in my saddle tonight with a bear mag b handle take down with a set of factory camo limbs 55# @28 shooting aluminum arrows tipped with bear razorheads.

Why, because why not thats why.

If you like it then shoot it but that hoyte will outperform a grizzly any day.

Mythewood

FNG
If there's sentimental value involved then go for it. Otherwise I'd say keep looking.
When I was a kid my dad and his brothers all shot bear bows ranging from the super kodiak to the Tamerlane. The nostalgic side of me would like to kill a whitetail with a super kodiak and bear microflite arrow.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I have one as a backup bow. 55lb at 28. At my 25 inch draw it’s around 47/48. My 42 lb stalker is faster and smooth. That said the grizzly is a joy to shoot. Very quiet, aims great, and still flings an arrow. If you can get one cheap go for it, they are nice bows. 284811A0-786F-4C39-B71B-FFD55F1BD29F.jpeg

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve had a couple bear recurves over the years and enjoyed them. They are just good plain bows that don’t do anything exceptional but also don’t do anything poorly. A man could take a grizzly and a good flying arrow and sharp broadhead and kill any game animal in North America without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Txtrophy85
I have one as a backup bow. 55lb at 28. At my 25 inch draw it’s around 47/48. My 42 lb stalker is faster and smooth. That said the grizzly is a joy to shoot. Very quiet, aims great, and still flings an arrow. If you can get one cheap go for it, they are nice bows. View attachment 341274

That’s about what my set up will be. 55 #’s at 25” draw.

I don’t expect it to be a magical dragon slaying rig, just a good solid hunting bow.

I’ll prolly keep the satori and get different limbs for it and change the grip

Titan_Bow

WKR
That’s about what my set up will be. 55 #’s at 25” draw.

I don’t expect it to be a magical dragon slaying rig, just a good solid hunting bow.

I’ll prolly keep the satori and get different limbs for it and change the grip

What is it about the Hoyt you don't like? I'm an old fart, been around the traditional archery world for 35 or so years. To me, once you get over the aesthetics issue (who doesn't love a beautiful all wood longbow or recurve??) the newer Hoyts with their limb system or ILF limbs, are some of the best shooting recurves I've shot. I have a Tiburon and was going to sell it because I wasn't shooting it often. I gave it another chance and been shooting it exclusively all summer. I am more accurate with that bow, than I have ever been with any other. Arrows just seem to "know" exactly where to go, LOL. It seems to be fast, really smooth drawing, and just dead in the hand after the shot. Only complaint is its a little loud with lighter arrows, but load up the weight, and its whisper quiet as well.