Thoughts on Bear Grizzly recurve?

OP
Txtrophy85
My biggest complaint with the satori is about the grip and how slow it is. Shooting 43-44# with a 500 grain arrow getting 152 FPS. Honestly last week I was shooting like chit and was blaming it on the bow. Shot yesterday and today, just went out and shot with no expectations , and I enjoyed the bow. I am supposed to get the Grizzly tomorrow but I think the satori will be a good bow to have in the stable. Gonna get some shorter limbs in 55# and I should be good to go.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest complaint with the satori is about the grip and how slow it is. Shooting 43-44# with a 500 grain arrow getting 152 FPS. Honestly last week I was shooting like chit and was blaming it on the bow. Shot yesterday and today, just went out and shot with no expectations , and I enjoyed the bow. I am supposed to get the Grizzly tomorrow but I think the satori will be a good bow to have in the stable. Gonna get some shorter limbs in 55# and I should be good to go.
That speed is plenty. If you have a short draw length don’t even consider speed with a stick. My 25 inch draw length gets me speeds from 125-170 depending on the bow and arrow weight and all those setups kill just fine. Speed should be your last concern with the stick.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Agree on the speed. There are times with recurves and longbows where a faster bow helps, or even just mentally bumps up your confidence, so don't totally dismiss it, but don't overthink it either. I have killed deer with a 50# selfbow and cane arrows going maybe 120-130fps and got penetration to the fletching. I've shot deer with other slower longbows and got complete pass throughs. I have shot them with a Martin Hunter 70lbs recurve that was throwing them at probably 170-180fps (or faster)and always got complete pass throughs. 30 and 40 yard shots were much easier with the Martin though!
Again, focus on how the bow feels to you, pointability, do the arrows "go where you are looking", that sort of thing. A bow that I may love, could be a bow that you hate, or vice versa. Its really more about the feel and whether or not you enjoy shooting a particular bow and have confidence with it.

I’ve been shooting with a 55# @ 28” Kodiak Magnum since about 2001. I guess I am lucky I’ve never had an itch to buy something “better” than a Bear. I agree with the posters who advocate for how a bow feels for an individual over buying a specific brand for performance.

slatty

WKR
I like my bear grizzly. I've killed a couple deer with it and it shoots well. The grip is quite narrow which is why I don't shoot it anymore. I bring it along as my backup bow and if my current bow blows up i'll happily string it up and hunt with it.

oldgoat

WKR
Never chrono your trad bow, unless you want a reason to get rid of it.
I just really don't understand the "trad communities disdain for chronos, they are a valuable tool if used in the right manner!
I Chrono mine all the time, not that I want to know how "fast" it is, sometimes I want to know it's speed to know how consistent I am, sometimes it's too see if it's in a speed range that I know I consistently shoot good with, which is in the 170's, I have a 31" draw and I own some bows that will shoot much much faster than that with ease, but I'll up the arrow weight to bring it down, it's the speed range where I'm good near and far and I can switch out among different bows that way too, with my old arthritic fingers, I don't need as heavy of bow for deer and small game as I do for elk and bigger!

PHo

WKR
I just really don't understand the "trad communities disdain for chronos, they are a valuable tool if used in the right manner!
I Chrono mine all the time, not that I want to know how "fast" it is, sometimes I want to know it's speed to know how consistent I am, sometimes it's too see if it's in a speed range that I know I consistently shoot good with, which is in the 170's, I have a 31" draw and I own some bows that will shoot much much faster than that with ease, but I'll up the arrow weight to bring it down, it's the speed range where I'm good near and far and I can switch out among different bows that way too, with my old arthritic fingers, I don't need as heavy of bow for deer and small game as I do for elk and bigger!
I agree with you, I use my chrony for the very same reasons. However I’ve seen a lot of guys, especially those who are new to trad, get very disappointed after running their setup through a chrony. What was a killer setup that they couldn’t stop talking about instantly becomes a less than perfect bow that they’re immediately trying to get rid of. The general message I was trying to convey is don’t worry about speed and enjoy your setup, especially if it shoots well.

To the OP, a 500gr arrow out of a #43-44 draw weight going 152fps sounds pretty decent to me. You’re shooting nearly 12gpp which is a pretty heavy arrow for your setup. Most guys who are claiming 170-180fps are usually shooting an arrow around 10gpp. I think it’s a good move on your part for sticking with the Satori and playing around with different limb weights and such. The ILF platform is a lot more versatile than a one-piece wooden bow.

Last edited:
OP
Txtrophy85
Really liking the Grizzly. To be honest I haven’t shot the satori since I got it. Light, nimble and easy to maneuver in the blind. I shoot it better too. Using same arrows I had before they are flying 158 FPS, which isn’t a huge improvement. But again I shoot this bow a lot better.

I know the satori is a more versatile bow, but I’m trying to think of a scenario where I would need a versatile set up? I wouldn’t mind trading it off for a 17” riser for a 58” AMO and having that around.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Really liking the Grizzly. To be honest I haven’t shot the satori since I got it. Light, nimble and easy to maneuver in the blind. I shoot it better too. Using same arrows I had before they are flying 158 FPS, which isn’t a huge improvement. But again I shoot this bow a lot better.

I know the satori is a more versatile bow, but I’m trying to think of a scenario where I would need a versatile set up? I wouldn’t mind trading it off for a 17” riser for a 58” AMO and having that around.
What’s your arrow weight, draw length and poundage at your draw length?

OP
Txtrophy85
I’m shooting 513 grains total at 25” draw. Guessing 48# at that length

Bear bows seem to be pretty polarizing in the trad world. Folks either love or hate them.

I’ve shot them all, thanks to the local place stocking all their models. The only ones I put in the “love” camp are the takedown, the Cheyenne, and most of all the Kodiak Magnum. All the others I didn’t care for.

What I would like about Bear, is that it’s a CNC mass-produced bow; which means you can get another if there’s ever a problem and it will be the exact same.
Which is precisely why Bear recurves are polarizing in the trad world.

The irony is that Fred is such an icon in the trad world and yet he's the Henry Ford of trad bows. LOL

To the OP, I'd suggest you find one to shoot before you buy. That way you'll know for sure.

I have owned many of the best trad bows ever made. This year, I finally dropped the $ on a Kodiak Takedown and I wish I'd bought one 30 years ago. They are pricey but IMO they are worth every penny.

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a new production Grizzly as my first traditional bow. Its okay but I definitely wish I had done more research

Seeknelk

WKR
Sounds like your enjoying the grizzly? I was going to say, it ALWAYS seems to come down to the grip on every bow weather someone loves it or not. I have a #60 super grizzly and I like it. Not my main bow right now but it's around if I need it. $2000 dollar bows get bought and sold all the time because of the grip seems like 90 percent of the time. You can test different grip shape on your hoyt and get ideas that way if your ever ordering a custom or shape your grizzly grip.

OP
Txtrophy85
I am enjoying the Grizzly. About a week after I got it I shot right over the back of a nice 9 point. Went out west the day after thanksgiving and haven’t hunted with it since, but should be able to go this weekend. Plan on getting some hunting in now that kids are on Christmas break.

I like the Grizzly, it’s a pretty easy bow to shoot. Not fast but it’s smooth ( to me ) and quiet.

I picked up a 59’ Kodiak reproduction last week, a 60# bow and although I’ve only shot it a few times it’s a nice bow as well. A lot faster than the Grizz. Has a little bit slimmer grip on it than the Grizzly which feels better in the hand. Jury is out on which will be my preferred hunting bow but the Grizzly seems like a very reliable, easy to shoot recurve that will be always have a place in the stable.

OP
Txtrophy85
Wow, came across this thread while looking up another bow.

Amazing what happens in a year. I ended up buying a Super Kodiak 55#@28” and that has become my go-to. Shoots maybe a tad faster than the Grizzly but zero hand shock or vibration, which I now notice the Grizzly has some. The 59’ Kodiak has seen a little use but it’s a pretty stout bow 60#@ 28” and not nearly as pleasant to shoot so it doesn’t get used nearly as much. But man it can zip an arrow! Had planned on taking it Buffalo hunting this year but had hell getting it tuned and opted to go with a compound instead.

Season opens here in a little over s month and I’m hoping to get some deer on the ground, last year I missed 4 bucks and shot one on the last day of the season thst I never found ( arrow was a little forward of what I wanted but got good penetration, but no blood to follow so made tracking impossible)

FNG
A factory bow for a 25" draw is not ideal. You need a bow that has a lot of pre-load and opens the recurves early enough to give you a benefit.
The only way to figure that out before you buy is studying force draw curves. Generally faster tested bows will also do better for shorter draws, but not with long working limbs.
As an Example: Uukha vx1000 plus short limbs 42# on a 25" riser on a 13" dryad riser gives a 59-60#@28" bow. At my 25" draw about 51-52# and with a 530 grain arrow I get consistant 182 fps shooting gloves, 185 fps shooting tab.