Thoughts on buying both the 22Mag and 44mag?

OP
Trevor73402
I went with Shape Charge and 44mag.
I find it ideal for doing just about exactly what you are talking about doing.
That is what I ended up doing also. Shape Charge with a Sherman when needed and the 44 Mag on a 26" frame. If I cant fit it all in a 44 mag, Ill walk back to the truck to re-up.

Brendan

WKR
Personally, I don't think the 44 Mag is big enough as your largest pack. I'd go with 22 Mag or an integrated frame pack, and then combine with something bigger on a 24/26" frame.

For me it's 22 Mag, Muskeg 5K, EMR2. If one had to go, it'd be the Muskeg.

OP
Trevor73402
Personally, I don't think the 44 Mag is big enough as your largest pack. I'd go with 22 Mag or an integrated frame pack, and then combine with something bigger on a 24/26" frame.

For me it's 22 Mag, Muskeg 5K, EMR2. If one had to go, it'd be the Muskeg.
I'll have the 44 with an E&E on the back as well as a couple medium belt packs. That's just over 5,600 ci of space. If I cant fit it all in that amount of space, I'm not going to want to carry it all day anyway. I have no plans for leaving the truck with a 65+ pound pack. Ill walk back out in 2-3 days for more food if I need to. I know many hunters who stay a lot longer with a lot less. I've played around with my Shape Charge some and I can get 35 pounds in it real easy. The 44 Mag setup I'll have will be well over double the size. If it doesn't work out the way I plan, I can always sell the 44 and get the Ma Duece.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I'll have the 44 with an E&E on the back as well as a couple medium belt packs. If I cant fit it all in that amount of space, I'm not going to want to carry it all day anyway. I have no plans for leaving the truck with a 65+ pound pack. Ill walk back out in 2-3 days for more food if I need to. I know many hunters who stay a lot longer with a lot less.
I've used an EMR2 for day hunting, no heavier than a 44 Mag and collapses to the size of the frame.

The difference is, the EMR2 (and others like it) can carry more in a situation you need it, the 44 Mag can't. Like carrying an entire camp from a 10 day spike out, plus Elk rack and last load of meat. A smaller pack would have cost me an extra 8 miles in that situation.

You can always collapse a larger pack down, you can't make a smaller one bigger.

True day pack mode - I'd still take the OG 22 Mag on a 22" frame. One of kifaru's best setups.

Last edited:

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I’d get the 22 Mag and utilize the meat shelf for longer trips. I’ve done 8 days in the Wind Rivers fly fishing with a SG Krux and a 2000 cu/in MR Hitchhiker using this method with no issues. I intend to use my new duplex and gen 2 22mag the same way. To be honest, when I add the organizer lid, I won’t need to use the meat shelf for anything less than 5 days.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
That is what I ended up doing also. Shape Charge with a Sherman when needed and the 44 Mag on a 26" frame. If I cant fit it all in a 44 mag, Ill walk back to the truck to re-up.

That's almost exactly what I am running, I can swap the Sherman between packs in a few seconds. I keep my First aid kit and possibles kit in it, so I can swap packs and never be without my "minimum" of gear.
Pull outs are the same deal.
My Shape Charge is setup:
Small pocket inside on MOLLE panel
Small pocket outside on molle panel (Fits easily under sherman pocket and can be removed easily if not needed)
Small pocket on belt
Water bottle pouch on belt
Sherman Pocket
44mag:
belt has small on one side and a water bottle pocket, medium on other side (Medium covers my holster), .
Back MOLLE panel has a large pocket up top and a Claymore down at the bottom
Sherman rides over the large pocket
Inside I have a Small MOLLE pouch on the panel.

Shape charge is good to go for up to 40 or 50 lbs easily. It will run my day gear, optics and with some re-arranging a smedium boned out deer.

44mag EASILY carried all my day gear (including snivel gear for bad weather) optics, and a good sized boned out mule deer buck. 3-4 days worth of gear is easily doable and if you don't mind strapping the light stuff to the outside, packing out the gear and a boned out buck is not an issue.

pc3

WKR
Everyone seems to like the shape charge as the day pack.....the 14'r does not seem to get much love whats the deal here ? it looks to me to be the best of the kifaru day packs before committing to the frame...its only a little larger?

Is it because its just so expensive compared to the shape charge ?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have the Ma Duece which is the new larger version of the 44 Mag and the 22 Mag. Switching packs on the frame takes like 2 minutes. I don’t like shrinking down a huge multi day pack as a day pack. I have two dedicated packs and love it.

pc3

WKR
I have the Ma Duece which is the new larger version of the 44 Mag and the 22 Mag. Switching packs on the frame takes like 2 minutes. I don’t like shrinking down a huge multi day pack as a day pack. I have two dedicated packs and love it.

Thats the way I will be doing it..........once you have "got the system/frame etc." just add a bag. Reality is day trips well for me anyway are more frequent than longer outings, so the day pack would stay on the frame and spend your two minutes swapping out to the larger bag a few times a year.

If money was no object I reckon i'd set up a 22 mag on an ultra lite frame as a dedicated day pack only. For the moment I am going to see how the 44 mag on 26" frame works as a day pack cinched down tight as required. Maybe I will need to add that smaller pack sooner rather than later, we will see. But I want to buy the bigger pack first.

You have a great 2x bag combo there, all bases covered I think. Anymore will just be "nice to have's" for you.

OP
Trevor73402
Everyone seems to like the shape charge as the day pack.....the 14'r does not seem to get much love whats the deal here ? it looks to me to be the best of the kifaru day packs before committing to the frame...its only a little larger?

Is it because its just so expensive compared to the shape charge ?
I can only speak for myself here, but I just don't like the single zipper setup of the 14'r. I much prefer the way the zippers are setup on the Shape Charge, 22mag, 44mag, and the Ma Duece. Thats just me though. Plus, I want a bag that has some useable molle on it. Ive been in the shooting and backpack game for a while and I have a lot of various pockets in many sizes that attach via molle. Again just my personal preference.

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I love Kifaru, but I used the frame once on a backpacking trip and now it only joins me on hunting trips where I plan(hope) to haul out a load of meat. It really is overkill. Now for scouting and backpacking trips, whether it be overnight or 7+ days I use a 2.5lb Osprey pack that is comfortable up to about 45lbs. Plus, it's a whole lot less sweaty in the heat of the summer, with smaller, more breathable pads and straps. So personally, I'd get the 44Mag for hunting, then if you want a smaller setup for shorter trips/scouting/camping, I'd get a separate pack that is lighter and more comfortable for the lesser loads.
Which Osprey pack do you use?

Bhatch

FNG
Thats the way I will be doing it..........once you have "got the system/frame etc." just add a bag. Reality is day trips well for me anyway are more frequent than longer outings, so the day pack would stay on the frame and spend your two minutes swapping out to the larger bag a few times a year.

If money was no object I reckon i'd set up a 22 mag on an ultra lite frame as a dedicated day pack only. For the moment I am going to see how the 44 mag on 26" frame works as a day pack cinched down tight as required. Maybe I will need to add that smaller pack sooner rather than later, we will see. But I want to buy the bigger pack first.

You have a great 2x bag combo there, all bases covered I think. Anymore will just be "nice to have's" for you.
How did your 44mag on the 26” frame work for you as a daypack? Do the load lifters stick up enough to hang on brush and limbs?