Thoughts on clothes from China

tdhanses

WKR
It‘s very doable, Kuiu started in Canada, no reason it couldn’t happen. Be nice to see these companies invest in production on at the very least our continent.

Beyond Clothing and Wildthings make their stuff in the USA.

CorbLand

WKR
A lot of the things people are pointing to and saying its doable because this company does it are luxury items that depend on disposable income. I am talking about the basics, things people need everyday that are produced cheap overseas. The reasons I have MR backpacks, Sitka, Zamberlans, etc is because I can afford them. Increase my cost of living by 50% and I cant afford those things anymore.

Nowhere do I think its a bad thing to bring segments home. I just dont think its this bring it all home we all be rich solution that everyone makes it out to be.

EastMT

WKR
Has anyone ever done the math to see if it really makes sense to move things back to the US? In my basic knowledge/shower thoughts it goes like this. If I make 50,000 and it costs me 30,000 to live that leaves me with 20,000 to spend on other items. If we moved everything back to the US and it increased costs by 50%(this is probably low) then I would all of a sudden have to spend 45000 to live and only have 5000 to spend on other stuff. Honestly seems like it would hurt the economy of the US more than it would help it as we have a lot of businesses that are built around leisure and luxury items. Those businesses rely on disposable income and that would decrease if costs went up.

I agree with you to a degree. I think if it’s a little bit more expensive then I’ll pay, but not double. Also, let’s be honest, the fancy clothes companies are buying 200k sheep tags etc, if they really wanted to have things a bit cheaper they very well could without a 100% markup. Some things there are reasons it can’t be made here, and I suppose if I could double my profits I probably would too, but I think it’s good to make an attempt to at least increase your USA purchases, not shoot for 100% as I don’t think that’s reasonable at this point.

Has anyone ever done the math to see if it really makes sense to move things back to the US? In my basic knowledge/shower thoughts it goes like this. If I make 50,000 and it costs me 30,000 to live that leaves me with 20,000 to spend on other items. If we moved everything back to the US and it increased costs by 50%(this is probably low) then I would all of a sudden have to spend 45000 to live and only have 5000 to spend on other stuff. Honestly seems like it would hurt the economy of the US more than it would help it as we have a lot of businesses that are built around leisure and luxury items. Those businesses rely on disposable income and that would decrease if costs went up.

It’s essentially a Lower middle class buying power restraint.

We have one of the highest standard of living in the world, I’m sure people arent ready to be humbled like that.... well technically it’s about to happen with corona possibly

I hope our public perception of China changes after this. China is the enemy. I truly feel sorry for the Chinese people, they are not the enemy.

I don't mind buying things that aren't made in America but i will intentionally not buy things made in China. I hope we can lean on these businesses enough to bring their production home.

I'm curious if the money saved over the past 50 years of having things made in China will pay for the mess we now find ourselves in?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
...Kuiu started in Canada...

I still have (and use) a couple of those original KUIU north american production items...a pair of guide pants, their original and first synthetic insulated jacket (which is still one of my favorites and with me every trip), and a KUIU t-shirt that has their brand logo on the front and says "Made in North America".

The mark-up these hunting companies apply to their clothes is ridiculous. How much does a frickin grid fleece cost Sitka or Firstlite to make in China?? Dirt cheap! They then sell it for stupid prices (I get it, capitalism). Make it in America, charge the same price, and they'd still make money. Less than when they make it in China, but still a profit for them. So it's either we (the consumer) take the hit out of our wallet or the company takes the hit out of their wallet. Whose wallet do you think the company's will side with, ours or their own? Legislation outlawing things being made overseas is the only way these things will come back to America, except for the few companies that will try to make it work on the principal of "Buy American". Which will be VERY few.
So how about we reduce taxes for every company that brings their production back to the US? Uncle Sam more than makes it up in addtional payroll tax, income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, etc.

We've got plenty of urban wastelands like Detroit with room for manufacturing expansion.

So how about we reduce taxes for every company that brings their production back to the US? Uncle Sam more than makes it up in addtional payroll tax, income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, etc.

We've got plenty of urban wastelands like Detroit with room for manufacturing expansion.

Yep, I support that and it makes sense.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
The concerns of being dependent on a foreign country is they can shut you off whenever they want to hurt you. Sure it hurts them too but if they are hell bent on knocking you off, it may be a strategic advantage.

The U.S. would not give such an advantage to Iran or North Korea or Russia, so why do we give China that lane?

China's labor laws, pollution controls, safety regs, theft of intellectual property and on and on gives them a huge price advantage. We continue to send them our dollars in exchange for an easier life at the expense of security, pollution etc. That is the real cost of being dependent on China.

America better wake up. The virus is showing us our weaknesses, I sure hope there are efforts to fix all the vulnerabilities before it is too late.

OP
D

Diesel

WKR
If China would play by the same rules then the U.S. would have an equal shot at competing. Trade would be beneficial for both sides and not the lopsided situation we have today.

I wonder what it would cost FL, KUIU and Sitka to have their clothes made here? How much more of a markup would it be? 10-15%. Kifaru makes everything in the great USA. Everyone should follow suit.
Look at Levi's for a good example...made in USA Levi's are almost double the cost of the ones not made in the USA.

Shrek

WKR
I hope our public perception of China changes after this. China is the enemy. I truly feel sorry for the Chinese people, they are not the enemy

You have obviously not dealt with many Chinese. They’re culturally supremest. They see themselves as the master race and all others as lessor people to be enslaved or made to pay tribute. They’re evil people and you should feel no sympathy for them or ever trust them. Think Nazis. They may be personable and charming to your face but at their core they truly terrible people.

boom

WKR
I’m of Chinese decent. American born.

Some people treat me differently now. I had a lady before the lockdown pick up her food and move to a table further away. Maybe she thoughtI was a carrier.

I assume it will get worse for me cuz the color of my skin and my facial features.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It‘s very doable, Kuiu started in Canada, no reason it couldn’t happen. Be nice to see these companies invest in production on at the very least our continent.

Beyond Clothing and Wildthings make their stuff in the USA.
Thunderbolt makes Schoeller Dryskin pants in Oregon, but they don't make any cargo versions. They make different jackets as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I’m of Chinese decent. American born.

Some people treat me differently now. I had a lady before the lockdown pick up her food and move to a table further away. Maybe she thoughtI was a carrier.

I assume it will get worse for me cuz the color of my skin and my facial features.

Sorry to hear that, people are ignorant some times and it’s unacceptable. My wife deals with bias often as well, I’m pasty and white, never noticed until we got together. One time we went into a store in a 99.9% white area of the country. The owner started following my wife down the isles, acting like she was shopping, side looking at her.

I watched it for about 5 min before I had a come apart. I left the store just ahead of the police arriving hahaha.

My wife was a missionary all over the world in 3rd world countries, wants nothing of this world. If she had a thought about stealing something she would probably pass out. I remember the day I made her mad enough to say a cuss word, she immediately said oh, I don’t say those words lol.

Shrek

WKR
You have obviously not dealt with many Chinese. They’re culturally supremest. They see themselves as the master race and all others as lessor people to be enslaved or made to pay tribute. They’re evil people and you should feel no sympathy for them or ever trust them. Think Nazis. They may be personable and charming to your face but at their core they truly terrible people.
I think I need to clarify my post. I’m talking about Chinese culture and its racism and bigotry towards all others. I’m not talking about someone like boom who is American and appears or is of Chinese genetic origin. I’m talking about the societal beliefs of the Chinese people. Of course there are many individual Chinese who are not racist towards non Chinese but the general population and the leadership certainly is.

Billinsd

WKR
You have obviously not dealt with many Chinese. They’re culturally supremest. They see themselves as the master race and all others as lessor people to be enslaved or made to pay tribute.
I thought that's how the Japanese acted? I've never heard someone say what you said. I'm not saying it's not true. Bill

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Quite a few sponsors on this board. Maybe one of them can chime in and explain why they don't make their clothes in North America.