Thoughts on cold weather whitetail system

I am going to upgrade my cold weather whitetail clothing system. I hunt in the UP of Michigan and it can get really cold. I already have a heater body suit for those bitterly cold days so I was looking for a jacket for those others days. I was looking at the Sitka Incinerator, Firstlite Sanctuary jacket, of the Cabelas MT050 whitetail extreme. This got me wondering if I was better off going with the Sitka Stratus jacket and layering with a Traverse Cold weather hoody or Celsius for insulation instead. This seems it would be a more versatile setup but what are everyones thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Depends on how long you will be sitting for. For max time in stand you want max insulation and wind resistance, for just an hour or so it is not as critical

its hard to layer anything over the celsius jacket unless it has a smooth interior due to the fleece like outshell. if a tree stand hunter i would go with the equinox hoody due to the harness pass-through

mags_cpf

FNG
I am going to upgrade my cold weather whitetail clothing system. I hunt in the UP of Michigan and it can get really cold. I already have a heater body suit for those bitterly cold days so I was looking for a jacket for those others days. I was looking at the Sitka Incinerator, Firstlite Sanctuary jacket, of the Cabelas MT050 whitetail extreme. This got me wondering if I was better off going with the Sitka Stratus jacket and layering with a Traverse Cold weather hoody or Celsius for insulation instead. This seems it would be a more versatile setup but what are everyones thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey there Timberline, sorry to reach out to you like this but I need to wait 7 days to have any privileges here, is your Surefire e2 still for sale?

Scrappy

WKR
Don't waste time and money. The fanatic top and bottom is all you need. Very little layers needed down below zero. The bibs are what make the system work so well in severe cold. So don't waste your money if your just gonna try to get by with the jacket. Oh ya I sold my heater body suit after I got the fanatic.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to save some coin the stratus system is perfect for mid season into late season. I live and hunt in west central IL with a big temp range. Last year I rocked the stratus system all year layered differently with a fanatic hoody, UA base layers, stratus vest, stratus jacket at different times and was never once cold. Hunted a late gun season for my county in January with windchills in the -30s. I sat for three hours with the entire stratus system and a puffy jacket underneath and was fine. Fingers gave up after 2 1/2 and at 3 walked back. The system is extremely versatile and layered properly can do it all I will say. The wind blocker is legit in it as well. I tested it on a stand that’s out in the open on a day with 30 mph winds and temps in the 30s and I couldn’t believe it. I preach this system to anyone I know especially the guys who don’t want to spend money on Sitka and try and get by layering cotton after cotton. Stratus system has my vote.

Last edited:
I've got stratus and fanatic. Fanatic is definitely warmer for long sits on stand in nov-jan. Stratus is an awesome set, but fanatic is much warmer.

sid_22

FNG
I would think Incinerator or fanatic. I have both and use both equally. I live in the mountains in PA where the wind is never blowing below 20mph so its rough.

If you have and like the heater body suit then maybe the stratus setup with layers will work for when you don’t want to sit all day but for mid season and for walking around. Everything I hear about the fanatic and incinerator is they are too warm to walk in. I don’t have any of them it’s just what I have been thinking about.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I live/hunt in central AL. I have the stratus and also got the fanatic this year. Both are so well thought out. The fanatic is the pinnacle though IMO. Keep in mind this is made specifically for tree stand hunting. I would honestly say get both and be set both early and late seasons, also some warmer spells late season always happens for me so having both sets really lets you have everything covered.

At minimum i would get stratus bibs and jacket and get fanatic jacket. The beauty of both is that you can layer more under the stratus and wear it deeper into the season or not layer and wear the fanatic. Much more versatile this way.. The last thing you want is to be cold in prime time.

mibighntr

FNG
Funny story..... Shared a IL whitetail camp with a couple boys from Louisiana. Temps in the upper 40's-low 50's and they went through PILES of chemical hand warmers!! Being from Michigan, my brother and I found that hilarious. All depends on your perception of cold and what you're used to.

Sacpd70

FNG
I have the fanatic setup. Pants are warmer than the top IMO. I’m a big fan of layers anyways on my top half.

barrister

WKR
I have the First Lite Sanctuary jacket and I like it very much. I have no reason to change or to try anything else. The jacket is in Ciper and I think it is a great pattern for cold weather, tree stand hunting. It's warm on its own, and I can really increase the warmth by putting some heater packs in the internal pouches of the jacket. The jacket is silent.

I pair it with three different sets of insulated bibs - two are Rocky brand and one is some under-the-radar brand. They are all warm and quiet.

jwhjwh54

FNG
I’m going to try the kuiu bibs for long sits in the cold. Two guys I hunt with have the Sitka insulated bibs and say it’s awesome for those cold days in the stand