Thoughts on Dodge Ram 1500's?

Drove my '99 Quad Can for over 15 yrs, best damn vehicle I ever owned. Sold it just weeks ago with 170,000 miles on it. Took it places where it was the non-4X4 around for miles. Loved that Ram.

Then I compared the mileage to a new ecodiesel. If you want more range, consider a 3.0L ED. Don't let the small engine fool you...with a 6" lift, 35s and a ton of weight in skid plates, steel bumper and winch, etc it still can burn rubber. I took this slightly used '14 fully loaded Laramie Limited mall-cruising puddlesniffer:

...and converted into this badass backcountry brute.

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

[video=youtube;q_ijoCm5AoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ijoCm5AoI[/video]

I can go 150-200 miles longer w/o fuel in the ED...gets 13-21mpg (includes offroading with a lot of weight and also towing a trailer).
The interior is sweet!

cf21e17ec12b74365212e4954d06a1fd_zpshdqvdj00.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

lkwoolsey

WKR
I have a 2010, 5.7L Hemi, its the Laramie edition. Average (equal city/highway driving) is about 13 to 14 MPG. I've hauled 1200#'s in the bed with no issues, only slightly noticeable in acceleration uphill. Nothing crazy as far as trailers go, just some boats and and the like. Again, still pretty responsive. I know its the 2010, just thought I'd throw it out there in case it would help.

I've got a 2015 1500 and like it a lot. I've got 44k on it and no problems. Rides nice, tows and hauls what I need it too regularly without problem. My mpg was really good with stock tires, at 70-75 on the freeway I would get 21-23. I put one size bigger tire on it and it dropped it to 17 or so. I towed a flat bed trailer from Sacramento to Redding full of left over drywall material and some other stuff from an apartment complex we just finished and got 13 on my way home. If I was to do it over again I'd probably go with the 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi just cause I do tow and haul quite a bit but not really enough to warrant the diesel.

I've got a 2015 1500 and like it a lot. I've got 44k on it and no problems. Rides nice, tows and hauls what I need it too regularly without problem. My mpg was really good with stock tires, at 70-75 on the freeway I would get 21-23. I put one size bigger tire on it and it dropped it to 17 or so. I towed a flat bed trailer from Sacramento to Redding full of left over drywall material and some other stuff from an apartment complex we just finished and got 13 on my way home. If I was to do it over again I'd probably go with the 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi just cause I do tow and haul quite a bit but not really enough to warrant the diesel.
I'm OT, but visited Redding last year and loved it up there, beutiful country.

I also have a 2012 RAM 1500, my mph went down also when I changed tires. I tow a 8000lb travel trailer and it hauls great.

Believe it or not, I get about 1mph better when I open my rear sliding window and front windows!

kda082

WKR
I have a 2014 crew 4x4 with the 5.7 and 6 speed auto. In the mountains I've had as good as 20s, but usually average 16. I did ditch the crap Wrangler SRA tires for some good ATs. 8 speed autos will do a little better, but a full size truck will never be great at fuel economy.

I don't know what much about truck specs, but this is just something that was told to me by a design engineer I know who works for GM:

When I was letting him know I was in the market for a truck, specifically a Ram, he told me to buy pre-Fiat takeover because the last couple years, FCA has really skimped on their production. When him and his engineer buddies have work meetings to discuss competitors, design ideas, etc., they do not even consider what anything FCA is doing because they are so behind.

Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

rodney482

WKR
I have a 2015 Ram sport crew 4x4 with 6.4 bed. Hemi
On my trip to New Nexico i avg 22 mpg at a speed of 71 mph.
Not 1 issue with it. Love it

I loved my 2011 Ram Hemi. JBA SS Headers, KNN Air intake, That thing moved....

My 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 is pretty disappointing compared to that truck but I do love the 2500 ground clearance.

Titan

WKR
I have experience with the Rebel and the ecodiesel (current truck). Rebel is really just a appearance package...the only real difference being that you get standard air suspension with Bilsteins. Hard to detect much of a difference between the that and the air suspension with regular shocks.

Currently have an 16 ecodiesel. Great truck so far. The only gripe is the 4wd system. If this will be a true off-road truck, don't get one with the "auto" 4x4 function. Lower trim and Rebels will have the beefier transfer case.

I get about 26 mpg at 75 mph with BFG KO2s. leveled about 2" front and 1.5" rear with links.

Slade

FNG
I've always been a Chevy guy, but in my last truck, I was rear-ended, and while it was being repaired I was given a loaner Ram 1500 to drive. I thought power was great compared to my Silverado, and the turn radius was far better as well. Gas mileage was the only negative. When it came time to get a new truck, I really considered a Ram. I think the only reason I went with another Silverado was brand loyalty, because I liked the Ram better.

My wife has a '14 ram. I took it to Idaho last year 4,000 mile round trip, and got a hand calculated 18.2mpg for the entire trip. Thats some 80+ mph driving, some slower gravel roads and even some idling while we were drying clothes on a rainy day. We bought it new and have almost 50k miles on it now i believe. I really like the truck, they seem to be a LOT better then the older trucks IMO. Would love to sell my Tacoma and get a full size here soon.

willidru

WKR
I've got a 2013 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, crew cab Outdoorsman, 80K miles. Very comfortable to drive daily, handles well. Back seat fits grown men on long drives. I had the electronic computer go out but replaced under warranty. I was able to buy a lifetime warranty (99 yrs and 999,000 miles) for $3k.

Only thing I really don't like is that I got the 5'-6" bed, just not quite big enough. And the maintenance schedule if you follow guidelines is a little extreme, like changing out 16 copper core plugs every 30K miles.

And let's not overlook the fact that Rams are the sexiest trucks on the road.

[video=youtube;XnqaaGExOgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnqaaGExOgc[/video]

JLH208

WKR
a3ec3bab65e9d116167251c548757450.jpg

I bought my 08 3 years ago because they are my favorite body style and it only had 30k on it. Great pickup, but definately doesn't drive as well as the new models. 11 mpg in town and a lot stiffer suspension. New Rams drive a lot more like the tundra I used to drive. I'm a Ram guy but will probably be picking up a tundra next go around. Really impressed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
You guys have me considering a test drive.....Ford guy and wanting to get rid of the Ecoboost for the 5.0 but it seems like you get a bit more for the money with a Ram