Thoughts on Dodge Ram 1500's?

Mossy

WKR
I don't want to start a ford vs chevy vs Dodge war; just looking for pros and cons on let's say 2014 and newer model Rams with the 5.7. Real world MPG(city,highway and towing) would be great.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I am guessing the newest vehicles are all pretty good, but I will say that the 1997 Dodge Ram I had was the worst vehicle I have ever owned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. It now has 80,000 miles on it and has been a good truck. I haven't had any problems with it yet. It has good power, and decent toeing power. I got around 17 mpg when original. After a leveling kit and 35x12.50x20's now get 13-14 mpg. I've always been a chevy guy, but got a better deal on the ram and have been very happy with it.

Had a 2013 Ram with that stupid Eco shit that would kick half the cylinders out if it sensed you were going slow and didnt need it or were cruising down the highway without a load on it. except for that Eco shit kicking in at the wrong times it was a good truck. As others have said it got bad mpg unless I was doing 80 mph or more across the desert, then it got 28-30 mpg. Mine had really tall gears in! no shortage on the power with the 5.7 Hemi!!! finally traded mine in for the 6.7 Cummins and like that way better, what I save in fuel cost more than makes up the difference in the payment

TheCougar

WKR
I have a 2014 ram 1500 crew cab with a hemi motor and the 8 speed transmission and the 3.21 gear ratio. I'm happy with it so far. I'm skeptical of the long term reliability, but that is just because of my preconceived opinions of dodge from a long time ago. My mpg is about 21-22mpg highway with no load in the bed. Once you go above about 73mph relative wind (headwinds hurt you a lot), it kicks out of eco mode and you get about 19mpg highway. The city driving is about 16mpg. I've done the math several times and the displayed mpg is always 1.2-1.7 mpg optimistic (if it says I'm getting 23mpg I'm usually getting 21.5 real world). The "Uconnect" system sucks and is my least favorite part. Those mpg numbers are with gentle driving, btw.

I'm slowly falling in love with my 2012 Ram. It's super comfortable and the V8 is awesome. I too am averaging 12-14 mph.

When I installed the leveling kit I also installed an aftermarket upper control arm. About $200 and it now easily fits the heavy chains I use. Lots of time in snow this winter with zero issues. On a trip to Id I stopped counting the spin outs at 30. Although it was a bit slow going I enjoyed the drive.

The BFG K02's are awesome too. Very happy that was my first upgrade with the winter we've had.

I'm typically not one to get emotionally attached to a vehicle but that's changing with this truck.

I am also going to be in the market for a truck. Going to buy a 2015-2017 used at the end of this year. Been looking at the Rams because their resale is not as good as Ford or Chevy so some better prices on the used trucks.

To add to the original question how are the 1500 V6 Eco Diesels holding up?

Logan T

WKR
My fiance has a 2013 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. I love that little pick up. I've got a 3500 but that just sits unless we are towing something or long road trips. Her pick up gets 17-19 mpg combined highway/town driving no matter what we do, and that's all pretty aggressive driving. The worst thing about it is the tires, it's got 20's on it and the price tag for good tires when you live a ways out of town on a gravel road is insane- turns out BFG is the only tire company that makes a 10 ply in that size, at least that's all we could find. Other than that, there are no complaints at all here.

CoSwede

FNG
I've got a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie that I bought new Dec '14. I'm now just a few hundred miles shy of 60k miles and not a lick of problems. My combined city/hwy MPG is probably around 25 and my round trip to the mountains (Denver to New Castle) is usually around 26-27 MPG. A tank of gas can get me somewhere between 600-700 miles between fill ups (I hate stopping for fuel!). More than enough power to get me up the passes towing an ATV/snowmobile - I don't use a camper so I can't comment on that. My dad had the 3/4 ton Ram w/diesel for years and found a low miles Ecodiesel for $30K that he loves. He lives in the Midwest (upper MN - cold) where the speed limit is quite a bit lower and he consistently sees much better MPG than I do - often in the low 30s. Yes, they take a MPG hit in the cold and wind but everything pretty much does. Neither of our trucks has had any mechanical issues - knock on wood. Yes, I've heard the stories of exhaust in the cabin and black sludge in the coolant but thankfully we haven't seen any of that.

elkguide

WKR
Two of my guys have 1550 Rams and both have replaced their front ends with less than 30K miles. One is the Eco Diesel and the other is a gasser. Both say they are OK with the power that they get but both complain about the mileage. So just antidotal experience, I drive a GMC Dura-Max.

I get a lot of rental pickups and frequently get new company half tons as well so have driven the big three a lot. IMO the new rams with the Hemi and 8 sp tranny are the nicest driving half tons out there. Very smooth shifting transmission, smooth ride, and lots of power. Fuel economy is bested by ford and chevy by a little. Negatives are reduced payload and towing capacity with that smooth rear suspension set up. I'd look into resale value (if buying new) and long term reliability too.

I prefer the f150s right now. Driving a 16 crew cab with 3.5 ecoboost, last truck was a 14 Silverado with 5.3. The f150 feels much more solid than the chevy to me. I also prefer the ford infotainment setup to chevy and dodge - I put on 50k+ miles some years so that stuff matters to me.

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Thanks guys. I currently have a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. No problems, plenty of power, no complaints on mileage and the rear cabin is huge(still rocking car seats). I guess my biggest complaint is it doesn't "feel" or sound like a V8.....

elkguide

WKR
Thanks guys. I currently have a F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. No problems, plenty of power, no complaints on mileage and the rear cabin is huge(still rocking car seats). I guess my biggest complaint is it doesn't "feel" or sound like a V8.....

Then step up to the plate and go with a GMC with a DuraMax! Lots of power, decent mileage, GREAT sound and fabulous resale.

We have a 2015ish Dodge 1500 for our work truck. It's a good truck with a nice, comfortable interior. The only thing I dont like is the electronic shifter knob. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

lintond

WKR

Maybe an exhaust kit will do the trick for ya?

I have an 08 1500 that is just about to hit 120,000 miles. It's been great in regards to zero maintenance issues, however I would love to get some better mileage. I'm in the 12-15 range depending on how I drive it etc.

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Maybe an exhaust kit will do the trick for ya?

I have an 08 1500 that is just about to hit 120,000 miles. It's been great in regards to zero maintenance issues, however I would love to get some better mileage. I'm in the 12-15 range depending on how I drive it etc.

I've been looking into that but everything I've heard sounds like a rice burner

Gr8bawana

WKR
I am guessing the newest vehicles are all pretty good, but I will say that the 1997 Dodge Ram I had was the worst vehicle I have ever owned...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 97 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 that just turned over 261,000+ miles on the original engine and trans. It has a mild lift and chains are no problem. It has been the best truck since I bought it with 45,000 miles on it back in 2000.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows