Thoughts on eberlestock packs

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru now and will keep my Kifaru but i will say FOR THE MONEY and an entry level pack the mainframe is the best option out there that I’ve tried. Again i know there’s better packs out there for more money but in the $200 range it’s really tough to beat that pack. I’ve packed meat with Kifaru, mystery ranch, stone glacier, badlands, outdoorsmans, nimrod, Eberlestock and multiple Alice/ $50 sporting goods store specials. If that gives you any frame of reference. I still have my mainframe as a backup and loan it out from time to time, the only downsides are the load lifters could be higher, the meat shelf could be shorter (hard to sit back and glass on a steep hill) and certain seeds can get stuck in the mesh fabric on the inside of the belt and shoulder straps and poke you. My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I had a J104 years ago and it was absolute misery to pack meat with. Save a few more dollars and then buy a used Kifaru frame and then save some more and buy a used bag. You will end up being money ahead in the long run and save your body a bunch of abuse.

Been looking at Eberlestock packs, they seem pretty nice and have good amount of room for not a bad sales price. Anybody had any dealings with them? Pros? Cons?

I have the J34 "just one." The reason I chose it was because of the price and durability. You can spend a lot of money on packs as everyone knows. The eberlestock had wider straps, buckles and the zippers are larger and stronger. I have packed out numerous animals now with loads over 100lbs. There have been no failures from any of the components. There are downsides to it with dry pack weight being one and the rifle scabbard not fitting my rifles. I use the scabbard for trekking poles and tripods instead. Great pack for the price.

bimmer4me

FNG
I've had my hands on a V2 Halftrack and it's very heavy for the volume/amount of space available. Also, i've noticed that their newer packs have gone with cheaper Cordura Ripstop fabric instead of the real deal 500D/1000D Cordura that we're all used to

I started with the old x1 as a day pack 10 years ago and it’s still my first choice when day hunting. A few years ago I bought the J107M for under $200.00 new. Couldn’t help it at that price and I already had a high end MR military pack. Being 6’2” and large framed the lack of torso adjustment and load lifters was problematic with heavy loads. I found that the large replacement hip belt they sell dramatically increased the comfort with heavier loads. Also I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the frame stays etc and finally got it pretty comfortable. Since then I bought the tall version main frame and am able to get functional lift from the load lifters. I also added the large hip belt and thicker shoulder straps. I am able to carry the same amount of weight in that set up as comfortably as in my MR. I personally like all the modularity with Eberlestock. But I’m also a weird gear junkie like most guys on here so I buy more crap than I need just to try it out. If you are on a budget you can’t go wrong buying used, whether you go with an Eberle or a “high end” pack.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I packed 3 moose out this year on a Dragonfly II. It was very comfortable. Now my frame of reference is ILBEs and ALICE packs from being in the military. For a short, early season trip (no big tent, sleeping bag etc of like 3-5 days) I think it’s pretty good. For a 7+ day trip? Not so much because when you add a super spike duffel you move the weight farther away from your centerline. Having the rifle scabbard is great though when it’s 2am and your packing a moose quarter through muskegs. Rifle goes in scabbard and no worries.

I will get a new pack eventually but not as a replacement. I’ll use my Dragonfly II for day trips, 2-3 day trips and to keep in the ranger to pack a moose out. I’ll end up purchasing a 7k+ cu in pack later this year (depending on what the draw results are) for long hunts.

I have had an x1 for about 15 years and still love it for day hunts snowmobiling and carrying any rifle or my bow while riding any kind of machine. About 5 years ago I bought a used blue widow off ebay it had a torn out top handle. I sent it to eberlestock expecting to pay for repair and they sent it back no charge I just paid shipping to them. They have great customer service from my experience. My only complaint is that they are heavy but they have lots of options for accessories. I use the blue widow and have packed camp and meat with it just fine.

I have a Blue Widow and a Gunslinger 2. They are both tough packs and i find them to be comfortable up to around 30 pounds. After that , the weight becomes noticeable especially since their design doesn't have functional load lifters. The Gunslinger 2 is a niche pack, i carried an M4 in it while deployed down in South America where i needed to have immediate access to my rifle without carrying it openly. The Gunslinger 2 has a built in scabbard that is wide enough for an AR platform with an optic. So it was a great pack in that setting. But you need to keep the weight under 30 pounds to be comfortable. I haven't used my Blue Widow very much since i got a Kifaru Mountain Warrior. There is no comparison in comfort.

I’ve got the x1a3 and it’s a great pack for day hunting with a rifle. I started my hunting career with frame packs and the went to a just one j34 and then to a blue widow. They are fine, but but for heavy load hauling, any of the big three packs (Kifaru/stone glacier/Exo) are leaps and bounds better. That said, I hauled quite a few animals with the j34 and blue widow packs and survived. The newer packs I listed are lighter and carry the heavy .weight better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I've had a J107 FOREVER. No complaints.

my brother has this pack i think. hell, i should know. i've stared at it for a decade as i struggle to follow that human goat. (he is finally starting to slow down). he loves it. he seems to be the fastest of our group when it comes to packing up and going. he just puts his stuff away and he is standing and waiting. same same for when we packed out elk. he just loads it up and he's standing there. ready to go. he has mastered that pack. he loves it.

he also belongs to absolutely ZERO forums. he doesnt even hear the chatter of this and that about packs. i was ignorant about packs when i joined ROKSLIDE. i was rocking a BADLANDS 2800 and carrying out elk quarters blissfully stupid..not knowing my pack was too heavy empty, too unadjustable, too mundane...i immediately learned from you all and shuttled that icky pack and started down the rabbit hole of SUPER PACKS! you all saved me!!! (hahha..this last paragraph should be colored green for sarcasm)

now, i am rocking and ancient MR Dragonslayer. as my daypack. i'm not buying anything anymore. it's boring, but solid. i dont picture it tearing ever.

Jpeezer

FNG
I have a Just One and a Team Elk and basically agree with what everyone else is saying, both pros and cons

I really like their innovative designs and burliness. Best in Class for the $ by far.

Been looking at Eberlestock packs, they seem pretty nice and have good amount of room for not a bad sales price. Anybody had any dealings with them? Pros? Cons?

Got two buddies from Alaska that love em, but couldn't talk me into one. I’ll take a 12 pack of beer if I want another few pounds of weight.

Get the Exo is my vote.

Travis907

WKR
I own the “Just One” and agree with what everyone else is saying, both pros and cons.

Pros: great pack,made well and for the $ can’t beat it. If you add the spike duffle it is everything you need for many days on the mountain!

Cons: heavy even empty and loaded with 100+ lbs it doesn’t carry as well as others.

I’ve used this pack for many years and it has worked pretty well for me because when I first purchased a good quality pack I didn’t want to spend the big $$.

It all depends on what you want to spend and how comfortable you need to be on the mountain.

Good luck

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I also bought a "Just One" for a great price a few years ago before my first elk hunt. It seemed to check most of the boxes and I couldn't pass the deal. I liked the idea of the rifle scabbard until I used it. I can not remove my rifle without taking the pack off. However, I do have shoulder issues and am not real flexible. Most people can probably reach back and remove it with pack on. It did get me through the hunt and it is fairly comfortable to me. I have since upgraded to a Kifaru Lite and it blows the Just One away in all aspects, especially while loaded heavy. I will keep the Just One, but it will be a loaner to a hunting partner that doesn't have a pack. Hopefully they can be the one to test it with some meat on their back while I am hauling with the Kifaru. I guess its all depends on how much weight you expect your pack to haul and how much you value comfort.

Pulv

FNG
I have a Blue Widow and a Gunslinger 2. They are both tough packs and i find them to be comfortable up to around 30 pounds. After that , the weight becomes noticeable especially since their design doesn't have functional load lifters. The Gunslinger 2 is a niche pack, i carried an M4 in it while deployed down in South America where i needed to have immediate access to my rifle without carrying it openly. The Gunslinger 2 has a built in scabbard that is wide enough for an AR platform with an optic. So it was a great pack in that setting. But you need to keep the weight under 30 pounds to be comfortable. I haven't used my Blue Widow very much since i got a Kifaru Mountain Warrior. There is no comparison in comfort.
Thanks for the info!

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a smoking deal on a new warhammer. This is my first big pack. We will see how it goes. OP what did you end up going with ?

Gapmaster

WKR
I run a Mainframe and the Little Bigtop. Also have the dry bag and bat wings. I really like the versatility of the Mainframe. Yes it is heavy... but I’ve never worried about my pack’s durability or it’s ability to carry a load. Have packed out several elk with zero complaints.

I love being able to throw the frame and batwings on for day hunts, and then add in the dry bag or big top for overnight trips. For the $$ it’s a great setup IMHO.

Usmcff

WKR
I just bought the jp9 black widow. Waiting on it in the mail as we speak, was supposed to be here yesterday but USPS dropped the ball and left it in Nashville Friday morning... it’ll be my first real pack other than what I was issued in the military so excited to see how much comfier they are to carry.

Tradchef

WKR
I used an X2 for a few years. I don’t get to go on extended hunts like most of the guys on here so I needed a solid day pack or overnight pack I could afford and beat the shit out of. I packed out close to 20 animals with that pack in the 4 years I had it. It rode well for me, handled weight decent. Not amazing but it worked. I switched to kifaru when I could afford something more substantial. I still only get to hunt minimally with restaurant life but I still kill a decent amount of animals each season and I’m glad I made the switch. However, they make solid packs, priced well and get the job done.

I had the gunrunner and it was pretty useless unless I carried a rifle but I didn’t know any better so I used it for quite a few years. After owning my MR packs I can see functionality and practically is miles above EB. I still have an EB tiny day pack I have never used. I will say their water bladders are great, still use that.