Thoughts on Gear we used on our Trip

I thought it might help some people looking to do a DIY hunt if I went over the gear I used for the trip. We used a good mixture of "High End" and some "Budget Friendly" items. I won't touch on everything on our list but items that stood out the most.

I really didn't have many complaints with any of our gear.

I did most all the research between the 3 of us so a lot of the items we used were the exact same and it worked out pretty good for the most part.

I'll be happy to answer any questions people had about what we used.

Camping Gear

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 Person Tent - This tent was an absolute rockstar! It was really tested on the 2nd day of the hunt when we got hit with torrential rain and 60mph winds all day and night. I went outside to tighten the guy lines once, other than that it was perfect. With 3 people it was big enough but the 8 person would've been pretty nice! We rented a small 2 man tent to store some of our extra gear and was glad we did.

Cots - Dad and I used ALPS MOUNTAINEERING READY LITE CAMP COTS and my uncle used a Thermarest LuxuryLite. Our Alps cots were about 1.5 lbs heavier than my uncles Thermarest but the ALPS felt much sturdier and was wider than the Thermarest. I really liked the ALPS.

Sleeping Bags - This is an item we all kind of took a small risk on and it ended up working out great for us. All 3 of us used a Cabelas Imeon 15deg Sleeping Bag. I think when we bought them on sale and were under $140 but they're discontinued now. What I liked about this bag the most is that it's inbetween a mummy bag and a regular bag. I've been in some mummy bags before and I just felt so constricted. Very comfy and warm... really impressed. We threw whatever clothes we planned on wearing the next day in the footbox and they were nice and toasty the next morning.

Game Bags - We all bought the Ajillis Elk Moose 6pc Game Bag Set from amazon. They were less than $40 and worked great. Really heavy duty bags. Comes with 4 huge bags for the quarters and 2 smaller bags for the rest of the meat. We knew 6 bags wouldn't be enough so we also got a package of cheaper Alaskan Game Bags.

Knives - We all used Outdoor Edge Razor Lite knives. They were awesome! I used 3 blades per moose.

Random Things That Were Nice To Have
*Micro Fiber Towel for drying equipment or yourself after an ice cold lake bath
*2 Gallon Collapsable water jug
*14" Stanley wood saw didn't weight much and was a better alternative than a pack/folding saw
*At least 2 headnets, 3 is better! They get lost...
*Grillmates seasoning and a little olive oil for those Moose Tenderloins cooked over an open fire!
*Small Grill Grate - My uncle brought this at the last minute and am so glad he did.

Clothing

Waders - Another Budget item ($100) that worked out great! All 3 of us wore Cabelas Premium Breathable Stockingfoot Waders. I wasn't going to drop $600 on a pair of Simms Waders so we took another risk on these and once again it paid off for us. We stayed bone dry and even wore them when we butchered both moose so cleanup was easy as we just washed up in the lake. They withstood alder busting like a champ and had zero damage.

Boots - All 3 of us wore Simms Freestone Wading Boots 100% of the time we were out there. The reason for this is we didn't want to have to pack wading boots and hunting boots. We probably only wore our wading pants 50% of the time so when we had our regular hunting pants on, we used a waterproof neoprene sock to take up the room that the wading pant booty would. This system worked great. The boots were surprisingly comfy and held up great. We even did most of our heavy pack training in them and not once did they give us blisters or any issues.

Socks - Here's a good money saver! I didn't want to pay $20 per pair of socks so I took another risk on some Peoples Socks from Amazon and couldn't be happier. $25 for 4 pair!! They're 71% Merino Wool ,21% Nylon, 7% Poly,1% Spandex. I had 8 pairs for hunting and 1 dry pair that never left the tent that I slept in every night. They were thick and super comfy!

Tops - My go to pieces EVERY SINGLE DAY were a Blackovis Merino 150 Hoodie, KUIU Peloton 240 Jacket, & KUIU Superdown Ultra Puffy. I was so impressed with these 3 pieces throughout the trip! Everybody in our group had the Black Ovis hoodies and we wore them literally everyday all day. I actually have several of them but my uncle and father both said they will be getting more! They were surprisingly durable as well. We went through plenty of alder and willow and the shirts never got a rip or hole in them. You can get them on camofire.com for $50. The Peloton 240 was durable and the perfect midlayer and the KUIU Superdown ultra (all 3 of us had) was warm and feather light. I wore other items also on the trip but these 3 were definitely worth mentioning.

Bottoms - When I wasn't wearing waders I had KUIU attack pants on and KUIU Yukon Gaiters which were great. Base layer consisted of Blackovis Merino 200 3/4 length bottom and if it got real cold I had some KUIU zip off Peloton 200. Once again the Blackovis merino was awesome. I never took them off whether I had the waders on or the Attack pants. I wasn't sure how I would like the 3/4 length but I loved it. It kept my ankles from burning up on hikes.

Rain Gear - KUIU Chugach jacket and KUIU Kutana pants is what I had. Dad had KUIU Chugach top and bottoms and my uncle used KUIU Chugach top and just his waders for his bottoms. All worked out well although we did not have several days in a row where it rained on us so they were not really put through a very hard test. I think a Helly Henson Impertech Jacket would be nice to have if you can get away with the weight. No complaints there though.

Pack Frames - All 3 of us had Eberlestock F1 Mainframes w/ Batwings and I have no complaints. Dad and I had the tall versions and my Uncle had the regular. We all did about 5-6 months of training with these packs as well. For the last month before the trip I had worked up to 125lbs and packing it 3 miles. I can't say it was easy or even comfy but it worked great and will use it again.

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
Random thoughts on Food

A lot of the food aspect is purely personal preference but I enjoyed trying out a variety of things on this trip to see what I would really like and didn't care for. I was surprised on a few things.

I've never been much of a breakfast eater so I'm not sure why I packed oatmeal... I never ate 1 packet. Usually once I got to where we were spending the morning I would eat a packet of ProBar Bolt Chews and a Jack Links Beef and Cheese Stick. Both of those I really enjoyed.

For the first 5 days my lunch consisted of just snacks. After that I started eating Ramen noodles for my lunch which was nice.

Everyday my snacks consisted of:

*Honey Stinger Waffle and Nut Butter

*Kind Bar

*Snicker Bar

*Jack Links Beef Stick & Cheese Stick combo

*Slim Jim

*ProBar Bolt Chews

*Heathers Choice Packaroons

*Moon Cheese

I really wanted to like the HoneyStinger waffle and Nut Butter combination that I see a lot of people doing but it just didn't do it for me. It wasn't bad I just didn't really care for it.

The Kind Bars , Snickers, Jack Links, Slim Jim and ProBar Bolt chews were all great.

The Packaroons were good but after a few days it just wasn't something I really looked forward to eating. Maybe if I just had a few but I had 1 for everyday.

The Moon Cheese was ok also.

I realized a few days into the hunt that I wish I had more savory snacks and less sweet snacks. I have a bad sweet tooth but even I was wishing I had more beef sticks instead of packaroons or honey stingers.

Freeze Dried Meals - This is where it got fun for me as I thought I had a good variety to try on this hunt. I used to go backpacking in Colorado a while back and it was always fun trying different meals, although, usually they sounded much better than they actually tasted and I was usually pretty disappointed by the end of the trip. For the most part I was very happy with most all my freeze dried meals except for a few.

Alpine Aire - Wild Thyme Turkey was hands down the worst freeze dried meal I had ever tried. Absolutely zero flavor. Tasted like, watered down soup with no flavor. I ate 1/3 of it and the rest went in the fire. The other Alpine Aire dinner I had was not good either.

Alpine Aire - Strawberry Granola absolutely delicious! I was scared because of how horrible the dinners were but this was fantastic. Since I'm not a breakfast eater I had these for lunch a couple days instead of snacks and dessert on days where I was still hungry after dinner. Will buy much more next time.

Mountain House Biscuits & Gravy - B&G is one of my favorite breakfast items at home so I was a little apprehensive on trying these because I didn't want it to be bad and ruin it for me but I was pleasantly surprised. I had 2 of these and wish I had at least 1/2 doz. 1 for lunch one day and I actually saved 1 for dinner another day. Delish!

Peak Refuel - Every single Peak Refuel meal was freaking awesome! I don't think I'll buy another brand besides the Alpine Aire Granola and Mountain House B&G. Seriously, they were so good! The absolute best was the Chicken Pesto Pasta. I could eat this when I'm not starving on a hunting trip and I thought I'd never say that about a freeze dried meal. I guess we did have 1 issue with a Peak Refuel meal. I had only 1 Chicken Terryaki Rice meal that I had bought over a year ago. I had it one day and it was very good. My father had a few of them and when he ate his first one he told me it was terrible. I thought that was odd because I really liked mine so I asked him if I could trade him for his other 2. Well the next day I ate one that he gave me and it was TERRIBLE. It tasted nothing like the first one I had. I'm guessing Peak Refuel had something go wrong with one of their batches because it was absolutely not on par with the other. I won't hold it against them though as all the others were seriously fantastic!

Idahoan Instant Potatoes - Cheap, super quick and the perfect complement to grilled moose tenderloins!

Vietnamese & Laos Instant Coffee Packets - My wife is Laotian so she bought these instant coffee packets for me at the asian market and they worked great! No messy grinds to worry about, just boil water, poor in the coffee packet and stir with a blueberry bush stick. I like cream and sugar in my coffee and this had it all so it worked great for me. Watch out though as some of them can be pretty sweet. I knew which ones I liked before the trip.

So many good people on this site helped me with gear suggestions. Obviously that's not everything but those are things that stood out when I went back through my list. I feel like I did a really good job researching the gear used and have no real complaints on much of anything.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Nice rundown of your experiences. Thanks for putting it together.

I agree Alpine Aire is generally not awesome. Mountain House B&G is quite good.

Jeremy

daddie63

WKR
Thanks so much for the gear reviews. It is helpful for sure and congrats again on your adventure and lifetime achievement.

Voyageur

WKR
Appreciate the review.
Would you care to elaborate on why you thought the Stanley saw was better than a folder? Did you have a specific folder in mind?
I ask because the "best" saw is something I'm still trying to dial in.
Thanks.

OP
Robinhood21
Appreciate the review.
Would you care to elaborate on why you thought the Stanley saw was better than a folder? Did you have a specific folder in mind?
I ask because the "best" saw is something I'm still trying to dial in.
Thanks.

I’m pretty sure VernAK is the one who recommended the Stanley saw to me. It was bulletproof, sharp as heck, cheap, long stroke, fairly lightweight.

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
What are you getting for next time?

Man that’s a great question.

We all agreed an ultralight chair of some sort would have been really nice for back at camp AND out in the field when you’re calling and glassing all day long.

Puffy pants like the KUIU SuperDown Ultras would be nice but definitely not a must have.

I do think I’m going to bring a lightweight 2 man tent to spike camp from. Would be really nice to go down one of those valleys and wake up at the farthest glassing point ready to hunt instead of spending and hour of the morning getting to the glassing spot. We noticed the bulls would move really good for the first 1.5-2 hours of daylight and last hour or so of the day. So we were spending prime time going back and forth to and from camp.

Like I said, we all felt really good with our preparation and what we had for our hunt. There really wasn’t anything we thought we absolutely needed to bring for next time other than the chair, which really is just a luxury item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: