Thoughts on Hilleberg Niak for AK

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Considering the Hilleberg Niak two person tent for an August sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. There didn’t not seem to be too much information on this tent while searching Rokslide but maybe I was missing past threads. Also have looked at the Stone Glacier and the Kuiu tents. Checked out the Hilleberg Allak too but it’s considerably heavier being in their red label series but maybe that’s a safer option.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went with the Allak. It’s a good tent but it is like 7lbs. I don’t really mind since I have a few other tents for different situations. The allak is nice in that you know it’s going to hold up to any conditions that might come your way. If the weather is so bad an allak isn’t working it’s probably time to go. The staika is even more serious.

if I had only one tent I probably wouldn’t get the allak to be honest, I’d go with one of their yellow label tents.

I’m really surprised of how most folks are unaware of Stephenson’s warmlite tents. IMO, they are the absolute best, lightest, non-free standing tent on the market. Guaranteed a Warmlite will still be standing long after the Hilleberg has blown off the mountain side. Double walled, two person weighs 3 lbs., only take 3 stakes and about that many minutes to pitch, and they’re rated to withstand something like 160mph winds. The only draw back is no vestibule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m really surprised of how most folks are unaware of Stephenson’s warmlite tents. IMO, they are the absolute best, lightest, non-free standing tent on the market. Guaranteed a Warmlite will still be standing long after the Hilleberg has blown off the mountain side. Double walled, two person weighs 3 lbs., only take 3 stakes and about that many minutes to pitch, and they’re rated to withstand something like 160mph winds. The only draw back is no vestibule.

I was trying to check them out but their website doesn’t work on my phone.

you really think they are more durable than a hilleberg??? How is the condensation/breath ability with them? How about the size? At 6’4 are my feet going to touch the wall and get wet?

sorry for the barrage of questions, I happen to be looking to add to my tent quiver at the moment.

LitenFast

WKR
Bought a Niak last year after I got hired on as a packer for Brooks Range sheep hunts for most of August. It was pretty much everything I was hoping for. I’m 6’4” and had plenty of room for myself and gear. Probably my favorite feature is how fast it sets up with the external pole sleeves and fly connected to the inner. Much faster than putting up a fly creek or tiger wall from BA. I think it is a great balance of sturdiness and weight and super fast set up which is great when setting up camp before or in a storm.

Edited to add: just looked up the 2p warm lite tent, I thought a Hillie was pricey!! It also reminded me that one of the major factors at my height is much preferring side entrance tents, my 12 days in a fly creek in 2018 had me vowing to look for something easier to get in and out of for long duration trips. Up to 5 days or so I’ll take the weight savings but longer trips I put a bit higher priority on some comfort.

Last edited:
I love my Warmlite. I've used them for quite a few years. I also have a Hilleberg Soulo, Biblers, etc. It takes a little getting used to, but the no vestibule 2C modeling is a plush 1 man tent. While not free standing, I've never had a problem anchoring it in the mountains. The Warmlite fabric is very light and not as durable as the Hille, but I've never had a rip or tear, even pitching it in shale areas. I have the large side windows on mine and it vents just fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
I have not been to Alaska but I do have, and have used a Niak in Idaho for the last 2 years.

they used to call it a 1.5 man tent and I think that’s more accurate than calling it a true 2 man. I have easily shared it with my wife but wouldn’t want to share it with a 200lb man a week into a hunting trip.

it’s super easy and quick to setup, I love that it’s free-standing, the footprint isn’t huge so it’s easy to find places to pitch it, and it has performed amazingly well in every sort of weather I’ve experienced.
The first thing I do with every Hilleberg I get is cut off all the zipper pulls and replace them with 1.5mm acc cord. I think there were 28 on my Niak so the weight savings is real but more importantly the cord makes no noise in heavy wind.

I’m interested as well, seems like it’s an overlooked tent and for weight/size it seems like a great option. I have a Soulo I’ve gotten down to 4.5 lbs but been considering turning it into a Niak.

NEhunter

WKR
The first thing I do with every Hilleberg I get is cut off all the zipper pulls and replace them with 1.5mm acc cord. I think there were 28 on my Niak so the weight savings is real but more importantly the cord makes no noise in heavy wind.
About how much weight did you shave off it? I have been thinking about doing this to my Niak as well but was unsure of how much I’d actually lose.

Graves14

WKR
About how much weight did you shave off it? I have been thinking about doing this to my Niak as well but was unsure of how much I’d actually lose.

It’s not a ton, 2oz maybe but like I said, I do it more for the noise reduction.

I was trying to check them out but their website doesn’t work on my phone.

you really think they are more durable than a hilleberg??? How is the condensation/breath ability with them? How about the size? At 6’4 are my feet going to touch the wall and get wet?

sorry for the barrage of questions, I happen to be looking to add to my tent quiver at the moment.

This doesn’t work for you?

The standard 2 person would easily be big enough for you at 6’4”, but I’m not sure about the 2 person climbers tent, you could always just call them, they’re very CS oriented, and will be able to answer any questions.

I’ve never had a problem with condensation in mine. They have kind of a unique design for dealing with high condensation areas/environments.

OP
C

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies so far. I have seen some favorable reviews on the Warmlite tents but that is more than I’m willing to spend.

I really like my Hilleberg Nallo. I think they are the best tent maker. We had a couple SG’s in camp this year, one their bags fell apart before we ever used the tent. I’ll leave my tent to the tent makers...

kipper09

WKR
I really like my Hilleberg Nallo. I think they are the best tent maker. We had a couple SG’s in camp this year, one their bags fell apart before we ever used the tent. I’ll leave my tent to the tent makers...

You talking about the storage bag? Or their sleeping bag??

Would love to hear more on this subject as I’m in the same position. Looking for a good tent to take to Kodiak and was wondering if the “3 season” hille would be enough.

Vargasm

FNG
any more comments? I'm looking at getting a niak.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I’m interested as well, seems like it’s an overlooked tent and for weight/size it seems like a great option. I have a Soulo I’ve gotten down to 4.5 lbs but been considering turning it into a Niak.

What modifications did you make to your Soulo to get to that weight? The Soulo and Niak are both on my short list. Thanks

What modifications did you make to your Soulo to get to that weight? The Soulo and Niak are both on my short list. Thanks
Sorry just saw this! Same as above, removed all zippers and guylines and replaced with lite outdoors 1.8mm cord and tensioners. Replaced a few stakes (can customize based on where you are going, some places you wouldn’t want to cut corners here), replaced stuff sack and bags with dyneema ones. Weight savings was substantial. I now have a Niak though and love it, just did 7 days at 12k with it. I didn’t modify it at all because they already have the lighter guylines on it so weight savings would be very minimal compared to soulo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You need to listen to the KifaruCast with Petra Hilleberg. Both she, and Aron, don't recommend going to lighter guy lines. They saw through the material in sustained high winds. Aron spoke from personal experience on having that exact thing happen. Might not be worth the 2oz you save there. Soulo is still the shelter I regret selling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk