Thoughts on hunting waders for moose pros and cons of type?

like it has been said before neeeding waders depends on where you're hunting. of course if you're hunting high country you will not need to worry about them.

AkRyan

WKR
I'm impressed bro, I really am.
I just see allot of guys get hung up on what waders to bring. We typically remove our boots and pants if we need to cross deep water. Hiking 10 miles in waders sucks imo no matter what kind they are.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just see allot of guys get hung up on what waders to bring. We typically remove our boots and pants if we need to cross deep water. Hiking 10 miles in waders sucks imo no matter what kind they are.

I agree, a guy who is coming up to AK for one hunt can get by with almost anything but there’s a lot of AK guys here that hunt in wet areas or do float hunts like myself where waders aren’t really an option, they are mandatory. Also a lot of us spend a lot of time fishing etc all summer before hunting even starts so having a nice pair of waders is great.

I’d never want to hike 10 miles in waders....or on a moose hunt.

Voyageur

WKR
Appreciate all the info that has been shared. Have a couple of questions.
Other than the obvious answer of water depth, are there other reasons to go with chest waders over wading pants?
What are the differences between the Simm's G-3 and G-4 models?
Thanks.

Mt Al

WKR
Other than the obvious answer of water depth, are there other reasons to go with chest waders over wading pants?
Thanks.

Best to just go to the Simms site and load both boots side by side, I just went through the same exercise. They certainly look different, you can see the difference in the soles and how they constructed the body of the boot down near the sole, where most things fail. The G3s have sewn-on elements where the G4 looks more adhesive/TPU based. The G3 also has TPU, pretty much because that's what's used in a lot of boot making. I was leaning G3 - you know after all this deep research and head scratching - and my size was out of stock so I went with G4.

A good friend who works there says this: for 99.9% who use their waders for fishing only, the Freestone or Flyweight all that anyone would ever need. The flyweights are also more comfortable. He then commenced to ask why anyone would take a Ford Expedition to get groceries and compared this to using G3/G4 for normal fishing, blah blah.

He then said if you plan on waterfowl hunting, big game hunting with waders, definitely go G3 or G4.

His 2 cents.

Brendan

WKR
As an alternative to Simms, so far I'm a huge fan of the Orvis Pro Waders with their wading boots. Only downside, they don't come in a zip.

Update to above: Wore my Orvis straight through February Goose season here, muddying them up and beating them up in salt marshes, snow, and ice, and they've been great. Hardly any wear, and they released a zip version.

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks.
My good friend and hunting/packrafting buddy has a pair of G-3's and I have G-4's, so I have many visual comparisons. Generally speaking, the G-4's are thicker material for the entire construction of the wader, whereas the G-3 has thicker material in heavy wear areas, e.g., knees and seat. Pros/cons to both...and both sure seem to hold-up great. Not a very technical answer for you, but others will be more helpful.

I got the G-4's because I can be pretty rough on gear.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks.
Other than water depth being an issue, there probably isn't much difference in pants Vs. waders other than personal preference. I like the chest waders because its generally cold and wet here during moose season, the extra height sort of adds warmth and a bit more protection as well as giving me another pocket to use. Chest waders with a good rain jacket really seal me up during downpours too.

I have pants but I usually just use them for paddling and fishing during warmer times of the year.