Thoughts on Kifaru FLAT BACK Composite Stays

A few months ago I purchased a DT3 pack. This was my 7th Kifaru pack. It was however my first with the Duplex Suspension. The first time I tried it I noticed quite a bit of discomfort in the lumbar area. After messing with things I ended up changing the lumbar pad with a WRAP TECH lumbar pad and aluminum stays. With those changes my pack now felt a lot better but not perfection. I have always used "standard" bend stays. Never did I think my back was FLAT?? Upon reading several threads and thoughts by Aron, I decided to try a set of the new FLAT BACK COMPOSITE Stays. Today I finally had the chance to get out and try my pack with the new stays. I loaded up with a total of 76lbs. I could instantly feel a HUGE difference in comfort. It felt so good I took it off and even put the Duplex lumbar pad back in. The same lumbar pad that I thought was way too thick and could and never feel comfortable!

Well after a nice 6 mile hike I can honestly say that the new flat back composite stays are absolutely incredible!!!! I had ZERO pain and no hot spots what so ever in the lumbar area. My DT3 now fits and carries like a dream. I missed Bow season this year thanks to Hurricane Sandy but look forward to some winter camping and hiking with my pack.

-Jim

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is good to hear Jim. You have a great pack in the DT3. I hope you get to put some dead things in it soon.

OP
H
I know several people have had the same issue with lumbar pain. I was sure it was the thickness of the pad that was the main problem. Reading all of Arons posts reguarding this issue is what led me to believe I needed to try these stays. The lumbar pad was not sitting flush on my back. Putting the thinner pad in greatly reduced the pain but did not fix the main cause of the problem. Once I installed these stays I could instantly feel a huge difference in how the pack sat against my back. A correctly fitted pack is everything when it comes to comfort. The men and women at Kifaru make the best packs on the planet!! Thank you

-Jim

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So how do you know if you have a "flat" back? Should a person try both options to see what works best?

sab

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, it's not so much for a flat back as for a flat @$$. If you have no rump bump, go with the flat profile.

Scott

OP
H
In my experience, it's not so much for a flat back as for a flat @$$. If you have no rump bump, go with the flat profile.

Scott
I don't know how accurate that can be. I have some junk in my trunk! Wish I could say otherwise but I'm not lackin in the backside. Or anywhere else for that matter!

So how do you know if you have a "flat" back? Should a person try both options to see what works best?

Aron has a good video on YouTube describing the different options. Its difficult to link from but if you search "Kifaru stays" I'm sure you'll see it. It goes through all the pertinent details.

OP
H
If you do have a Duplex suspension pack and are having lumbar discomfort, these stays make an amazing difference in comfort. I was so psyched when I received this pack. Then when it felt uncomfortable I was really bummed. Now that everything is perfect, I just can not get enough of this pack. I put it on every single day for my nightly walk with my dog. I think the more I use it the better it gets.