Thoughts on Kuiu Pro vs Mystery Ranch?

Dtb

FNG
I’m in the market for a new pack. Primary use will be whitetail daypack. I want the ability to separate the frame and the bag to haul meat if needed. I have been trying to decide between Mystery Ranch (sawtooth, pintler on guidelite MT) and the Kuiu Pro 2300. I’m thinking those packs are about the size I’ll need for layers, camera gear, etc, but I’m here more to ask opinions about the frame systems. Like I said vast majority will be whitetail hunting with maybe an occasional pack out, plus I am hoping to behind occasional western trips (every couple years or so).

I know there will probably be lots of suggestions for SG, Exo, Kifaru, but I would like to avoid paying quite that much since the primary use will be whitetail (and I’m married with baby on the way). If I found myself heading out west more often, I would not have a problem investing in one of those down the road, but I don’t see it being necessary at this time.

This will be my first pack that costs more than $75 so thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Have the 2300 and a Pintler. Shoot me contact info in a PM. Happy to discuss my experience. Both packs are really good for me.

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
Have the 2300 and a Pintler. Shoot me contact info in a PM. Happy to discuss my experience. Both packs are really good for me.

It’s telling me I don’t have permission to send PM, possibly because I have not made any posts before this. Not sure if it might allow you to PM me

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
Pro for comfort, lightweight and MR for durability, heavy. Both are quality, it will come down to fit.

Thanks. Sounds like can’t really go wrong with either, just which fits better

I’m not sure on the interchangeability of the new MR models but in your situation would definitely lean towards Kuiu. Once you buy the frame and suspension if you decide you want a larger pack for a longer hunt you can just get a new bag and swap it out. I think the 2300 is probably to small and would be looking at the 3600. The Kuiu bags compress very easy.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Pro for comfort, lightweight and MR for durability, heavy. Both are quality, it will come down to fit.

That about sums it up.

I lean slightly towards Kuiu because of the light weight and all you would need is a larger bag and your good to go for Elk.

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
I’m not sure on the interchangeability of the new MR models but in your situation would definitely lean towards Kuiu. Once you buy the frame and suspension if you decide you want a larger pack for a longer hunt you can just get a new bag and swap it out. I think the 2300 is probably to small and would be looking at the 3600. The Kuiu bags compress very easy.

Yeah I think the only bag only options from MR are just mule, pintler, and Beartooth so more options from Kuiu. Think I am leaning that way. Still have more thinking to do about bag size

marctog

FNG
Pintler...
super durable and comfortable when loaded to capacity or beyond.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I have the MR Sawtooth 45 and recently bought my GF a Kuiu Pro 2300. We have taken a coupe hikes with 44# salt bags side by side. I'm really impressed with the Kuiu. She says it's very comfortable and loves it, even with weight on the back. I really like the bag and pocket layout on the bag, but would choose the bigger version personally. The waist belt pockets are great. I wish the carbon frame was a little thicker in some places, but I don't expect durability to be a big issue as we aren't the type to abuse our gear.
My MR Sawtooth doesn't fit me great, and I've spent a lot of time on multiple occasions to get it adjusted right. I think the issue is the lumber pad, it's too thin. I like the bag on this pack, but prefer how the Kuiu comes off (it's easier to remove and seems better thought out). I'll use the sawtooth for this years hunts (two packs on the year is enough $ spent), but plan on looking into other options next year. The MR was less expensive than the Kuiu by a decent amount iirc.

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
Pintler...
super durable and comfortable when loaded to capacity or beyond.

Several people have said that about the MR basing very durable. I don’t expect durability to be an issue with either for me since I typically don’t abuse gear too much

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
I have the MR Sawtooth 45 and recently bought my GF a Kuiu Pro 2300. We have taken a coupe hikes with 44# salt bags side by side. I'm really impressed with the Kuiu. She says it's very comfortable and loves it, even with weight on the back. I really like the bag and pocket layout on the bag, but would choose the bigger version personally. The waist belt pockets are great. I wish the carbon frame was a little thicker in some places, but I don't expect durability to be a big issue as we aren't the type to abuse our gear.
My MR Sawtooth doesn't fit me great, and I've spent a lot of time on multiple occasions to get it adjusted right. I think the issue is the lumber pad, it's too thin. I like the bag on this pack, but prefer how the Kuiu comes off (it's easier to remove and seems better thought out). I'll use the sawtooth for this years hunts (two packs on the year is enough $ spent), but plan on looking into other options next year. The MR was less expensive than the Kuiu by a decent amount iirc.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also like the Kuiu bag layout better than the MR bags from what I have been able to see on websites/reviews. How well does the Kuiu compress when the pack isn’t stuffed full? I was originally looking at the 2300 but thinking I may prefer the 3600 to have the extra room for layers when needed as long as it still compressed will when not totally full

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Pro 2300 with latest frame, etc. I choose it because I knew I could upsize anytime with another larger Pro bag. In fact, just got a good deal on a Pro 6000 here on Rokslide. I love the Pro 2300 but You might look at the Pro 3600 as a more overall bag size. Seem like all pack fill up faster than be plan :)

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also like the Kuiu bag layout better than the MR bags from what I have been able to see on websites/reviews. How well does the Kuiu compress when the pack isn’t stuffed full? I was originally looking at the 2300 but thinking I may prefer the 3600 to have the extra room for layers when needed as long as it still compressed will when not totally full

The Kuiu bag compresses very well. I'd personally go with the Pro 3600 and compress as necessary. My GF doesn't carry a spotting scope and tripod, and will only use it for day hunts, so the Pro 2300 is plenty big enough for her.

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
The Kuiu bag compresses very well. I'd personally go with the Pro 3600 and compress as necessary. My GF doesn't carry a spotting scope and tripod, and will only use it for day hunts, so the Pro 2300 is plenty big enough for her.

Awesome. I think the pro 3600 is the direction I am going to go. Now hoping I can find one of those 15% and free shipping coupon codes I’ve been seeing

I certainly hate to push you to a bigger bag, but the 4000 LT is lighter and cheaper than the 2300. I am a firm believer that if you have the space you’ll use it, so I bought the 2300 and in hindsight I wish I bought the 4000 LT. I think the 4000 LT can be compressed beyond 2300, you just have to discipline yourself when packing. I love how the Kuiu carries and I wasn’t willing to take the weight penalty with the MR.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the kuiu 5500LT for elk and used it a few weeks ago for a week long scout trip. We carried camp on our backs every day but one and it was awesome.

I picked up the 1850 bag to trade the 5500 out for deer here in KS. Should hold all my gear easy and I can separate and put quarters on the meat hauler if I need to.

Even the 5500 compresses super tight so any of the bags will fit you fine for your purposes. Just remember the bigger the bag the more unnecessary stuff you tend carry.

I have a $50 off $250 if you don’t find a 15% code. Shoot me a pm if you end up needing it.

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
I certainly hate to push you to a bigger bag, but the 4000 LT is lighter and cheaper than the 2300. I am a firm believer that if you have the space you’ll use it, so I bought the 2300 and in hindsight I wish I bought the 4000 LT. I think the 4000 LT can be compressed beyond 2300, you just have to discipline yourself when packing. I love how the Kuiu carries and I wasn’t willing to take the weight penalty with the MR.

I think I am going bigger than the 2300. Looking at the 3600. I think I might rather the 3600 with a thicker material bag and it looks like the zippered pockets are different between the two and I think I like the 3600 layout better. But I’ll take a look at some videos of the 4000 LT and get a better look than the website pics

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
I picked up the kuiu 5500LT for elk and used it a few weeks ago for a week long scout trip. We carried camp on our backs every day but one and it was awesome.

I picked up the 1850 bag to trade the 5500 out for deer here in KS. Should hold all my gear easy and I can separate and put quarters on the meat hauler if I need to.

Even the 5500 compresses super tight so any of the bags will fit you fine for your purposes. Just remember the bigger the bag the more unnecessary stuff you tend carry.

I have a $50 off $250 if you don’t find a 15% code. Shoot me a pm if you end up needing it.

Yeah I am definitely susceptible to carrying too much, probably won’t go as big as 5500, but thinking 3600 will be a good middle ground as I plan to carry some film gear this year and should also leave room for bibs/jacket in late season. I will let you know if I’m not able to find a 15% code for sure. Thank you very much

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I did look at the LT vs the Pro and I liked all the pockets the Pro have so check that a bit too.