Thoughts on Kuiu Pro vs Mystery Ranch?

OP
D

Dtb

FNG
I did look at the LT vs the Pro and I liked all the pockets the Pro have so check that a bit too.

I think I am in the same boat. I think I would prefer the extra pockets on the pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Sounds like can’t really go wrong with either, just which fits better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if you are packing in stands or other bigger awkward things, i would go with MR, they are really easy to separate the bag from the frame to load up your meat shelf.... way tougher pack system too..... either will suit your needs, but between those, i would go with MR.

you could also expand your search to used packs if you don't want to limit yourself to those 2 brands... you could get a used SG, EXO, or Kifaru for the same price range as a new kuiu or MR

I chose the MR pop up , I went with the 38 in large part due to feedback on this site. I can swap out other packs as well
its a lot different than packs above but works well for packing deer out.

hikenhunt

WKR
I'd recommend the 3600 over the 2300. The 3600 can compress with not just the side straps, but also with the bottom straps. I've used that strategy on day hunts with a 5200 (older model) and works great.

Attachments

• IMG_5917[1].PNG
    IMG_5917[1].PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

longjoshr

FNG
I have the Kuiu system with an 1850 bag, 3600, and 6000.

1850 bag isn't great on the frame because the stays stick above it. Fortunately I snagged the older harness style in the outlet for $50 and that has became my daypack.

I talked to the support guys before buying the 3600, as I was deciding between the 2300 and 3600 as well. They told me the difference in bag height is marginal, and that it really came down to the girth of the bag. I went with the 3600 because of the extra capacity as well. Only reason someone might want to look at the 2300 is if you're navigating a lot of heavy brush, I've noticed that slimmer profile can help a bit with getting hung up. That said, I still think I'd go with the 3600.

Big difference between it in and the LT is obviously fabric, but PRO has two divided pockets on the back, while the LT has one big one. I really like running my 65mm spotter in one half of the divided pocket, and my rain gear in the other. Not sure I'd be a fan of the single pocket after packing this way.

Bking

FNG
I also have a Kuiu pro, I really like it. I feel like it’s one of the easier systems to adjust for fit, and use. I use it as a day pack for scouting in spring all the way to a pack in bag in the late fall. I can adjust for layers, weight, and bag size to make it very comfortable.

longjoshr

FNG
Another thought on the kuiu bag is that I feel that it has better airflow than some of the others. I'm curious to see if that lack of contact area leads to less stability when you've got a heavy load on. Up to 30 or 35 pounds with the 3600 I don't see any issues at all.

cfish4422

FNG
Someone mentioned the MR Pop Up earlier, not sure if the op is considering that setup, but is anyone familiar with how the kuiu pro 1850 kit would compare with a pop up? Looks like the pack size between a pop up 28 and the 1850 are similar. You can run the 1850 without the frame which may be nice for a day pack, but then throw the frame on to haul meat. Not exactly the same, but seems pretty similar to the flexibility of the pop up frame. I like the idea of having one frame/suspension system with kuiu but multiple bag options. On the other hand the pop up system gets pretty solid reviews.

I have used MR and Kuiu. I would say Kuiu in the 3600 size would be what you are looking for. It would also be super easy to buy a bigger bag if/when you do a multi day pack trip.

HbDane

WKR
I had a MR pack and many people love them, I was not one of them. I love my kuiu pack. I've also tried Kifaru and stone glacier and Seek Outside. Seek outside is the only pack I would replace my Kuiu with.

Last edited:
The KUIU didn't work for me. The MR was considerably more comfortable. Everyone talks about how much heavier they are, but I found the comfort was well worth the weight penalty over the KUIU

cfish4422

FNG
The KUIU didn't work for me. The MR was considerably more comfortable. Everyone talks about how much heavier they are, but I found the comfort was well worth the weight penalty over the KUIU
Was that the new kuiu pro system, or the older system? I'm not familiar with either but from what I've read the new system seems to be much more comfortable.

I used the Kuiu 2300 for 5 seasons and packed out many animals including a couple large whole bone in elk quarters. It always seemed indestructible and I loved the design. Zero complaints about it. Would 100% buy it again.

Was that the new kuiu pro system, or the older system? I'm not familiar with either but from what I've read the new system seems to be much more comfortable
When did they switch? It was about 3 years ago when I gave the KUIU a try. I just don't want people to dismiss a particular brand because of specs on paper.

cfish4422

FNG
When did they switch? It was about 3 years ago when I gave the KUIU a try. I just don't want people to dismiss a particular brand because of specs on paper.
It was in the summer of 2019 from what I've read.
I bought a pop up the other day when Scheels had them marked down 25 percent. Figured I could wear it around the house, see how I like it, if I don't I can return it to scheels and try to snag a kuiu from the classifieds. At this moment I'm only interested in more of a daypack that can haul meat. The simplicity of adding larger bags to the same system down the road seems pretty handy with the Kuiu though.

The simplicity of adding larger bags to the same system down the road seems pretty handy with the Kuiu though.
You can swap out bags with your MR also. I have the Pintler and Metcalf bags that I swap between, depending on what I need.

cfish4422

FNG
You can swap out bags with your MR also. I have the Pintler and Metcalf bags that I swap between, depending on what I need.
I thought on the pop up frame the only bags that worked are the 28, 38, and mule? I'm wanting something that can be used as a low profile day pack but have the flexibility to carry a load. The pop up definitely addresses that, but to my knowledge you can't throw a larger bag on for a multi day trip. I could be wrong.

hikenhunt

WKR
It was mid 2019 when they upgraded the suspension. I think they also changed the bags from Icon Pro to just the current Pro.

Trial153

WKR
I haven’t looked at Kuiu packs since had a icon pro fail packing a moose out. After fighting for a warranty replacement I sold it and pretty much crossed them off my list. Hopefully they improved the frame because the failure point on mine was glaringly obvious.
I have decent luck with MR as both the guide light and my guild lite frame suited me well. I have used the hell out of Pintler from Alaska’s to Mexico and it’s held up amazing. I have one spot a shoulder strap we’re I split a seam … some tenacious tape fixed that quick enough.

We are lucky to have so many quality choices at this point, there are literally a half dozen pack manufactures that will get you into a solid product.