Thoughts on Kuiu Pro vs Mystery Ranch?

I have the Kuiu LT 4000 and I used it for treestand hunting last season. Its big enough to carry all my gear and a FL Sanctuary jacket & bibs. If I had been carrying camera gear in the LT 4000 I would have run out of room when I had to carry my cold weather gear and would have had to strap things to the outside. Kuiu is probably the lightest pack option for you.

For tree stand hunting you may want to get a pack that cinches close on the top with a drawstring rather than a zipper to reduce noise. Since you have all the camera gear you may just want to find a pack that will help organize all your gear the best. I had an MR Recce pack and it was built like a tank, and was on the heavy side too because of this but that may not matter to you. Both brands have good adjustability for the belt and shoulder straps, but Kuiu is a little more adjustable I think.

I am late to the party on this discussion but two things stood out during the discussion MR and Kuiu have different size lumbar pads. I suspect the comfort difference between packs and people are related to specifically this. Also here in the PNW hunting elk especially in the coastal range a pack that doesn't stick up above my head 5'8 and is narrow is almost critical to have for sneaking through the thick stuff. I want a pack that is just big enough to get the job done knowing I can use the space between the pack and frame for stuff like game bags and rain gear if needed. I vacuum seal my game bags just for this reason.

Now if I was packing in for a late season archery hunt and it was raining I don't think the MR Pintler bag would be big enough to hold all the warm clothes I would need for a late season all day tree stand sit. The option at that point would be a dry bag strapped to the outside of the pack.

As most backpack threads elude to the number one consideration is how it fits and feels with weight on the pack. If the pack doesn't feel good while wearing it none of the other stuff matters.

IMO……. It’s okay to ask the question but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock into anything mentioned here regarding comfort. That’s a personal thing and varies for every single individual. Same as asking what’s the most comfortable boot. It varies for everyone.

Questions regarding build quality, construction, customer service, pack accessories, pack options, durability. These things are easier to gauge for the most part and can generally provide a reliable response form any end user.

Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Exo, Sea to Summit, and a few others all make quality gear. But every single one will fit differently and what works for one won’t work for the next.
To me, spend the $100 to upgrade to the new Kuiu suspension. If it doesn’t do what you need it to do, sell it for a minimal loss, and move on to the next. Someone will easily buy it from you and likely you’ll old bag as well. Buying used can easily get you into the game at a cheaper price point.

Last edited:

Moto_917

FNG
I asked the same question to a few buddies of mine who are professional guides, and they all recommended Mystery Ranch, so that’s what I went with. I wear a MR pack at work (wildland firefighting) and really like it, so I didn’t really question them much. From what they said the MR packs seem to be a little heavier, but are a lot more durable. I haven’t had the chance to load mine and wear it yet, but it seems like it’s built pretty solid. I think packs all come down to preference if you’re comparing the top brands

manitou1

WKR
I bought the Kuiu Pro system with two packs. Love 'em. I sold my MR metcalf. Never could make if fit ME correctly and was not comfotable. We all are different though. The MR packs are built like a tank.