Thoughts on Matthews Switchback XT

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,

I was able to buy a Switchback XT from a friend for a very reasonable price. It came with a fuse 5 pin sight, a fuse quiver, and six Beman ICS 400 arrows. I know this is all older equipment but the bow fits me really well and I’m fairly accurate out to 30 yds which is as far as I’ve shot from so far. I called the local archery shop about putting a new string on and tuning it but wanted opinions on other upgrades I could make to improve this bow.

What is a reasonable distance I can expect to be able to shoot with a 70 lb draw weight, and make an ethical kill with this bow. I know there are a lot of variables with that question, biggest one being amount of time spent practicing, but is 60 yds doable or should I pull my expectations back to 40 or 50.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I’ve been bow hunting 20 years live game is so much different from the range..animals jump or duck, you’re shooting from awkward angles at partially obstructed animals, steep inclines and declines, wrong rangefinder reading getting rushed and estimating range in your head..a lot can go wrong. That was a good bow for its day..one of the best sellers ever. Just set a goal for yourself like 8” group consistency and however far you can shoot that is a good range. I try to practice twice my hunting distance limit...right now that’s 100/50 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cg2737

WKR
I shot a SBXT for abut four years. I loved that bow. I shot every bit as well with that bow as I do with my Halon. If you get a new string/cables and get it tuned correctly that bow does not handicap you in any way. If you are new to archery don't worry about shooting distance yet, and it might also be a good idea to lower the poundage to get your form down.

Practice,Practice,Practice
Good luck and have fun.

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
One of Mathews finest bows ever produced. Over on AT it has a cult following to this day!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’ve had my switchback for over 10 years. Now and again I think about upgrading, but then I can hit an orange at 90 with it and remember that the damn thing still shoots better than I can. Many people still have their older switchbacks as their backups because they are great bows. That being said, if you are new to this I wouldn’t even try to shoot at something past 40 yards, maybe 30. So many factors come into play when shooting at a critter. I would also plan to get a doe tag and try to get a kill under your belt before big Pappa comes strolling by you. You cannot get enough experience actually shooting the real thing. I’ve done this for 20 years and yet to shoot something past 30. And have missed or wounded many more than I’ve actually gotten unfortunately. If you are new to this form, grip, and proper release and consistency with that is most important. New equipment will only get ya so far.

OP
N

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies.

I’m not completely new to archery but might as well be. I bought a Matthew’s FX when I was 16 years old, shot it quite a bit for a few years and killed a couple whitetail doe while I lived in Oklahoma. That was almost 20 years ago so I’m pretty much back to square one.

I bought my 12 year old son a Bear Apprentice III last year that he shoots almost daily so I decided I better get a bow so I could join him instead of just watching him have all the fun. Its been a blast shooting with him in the backyard, and after he made his first bow kill last month on a gobbler with a 10” beard I think he’s hooked on bow hunting.

I appreciate all the advice. I will take mine in for a new string and cable Monday and just keep practicing from shorter distances and focus on all the basics and fundamentals.

Thanks again