Thoughts on new 6.8 Western cartridge

EmperorMA

WKR
I think it is a significant achievement.

We are seeing something that has never been done before ..... a new cartridge that will only be available with very long, very heavy bullets right out of the gate. This is equal to the 7 WSM being offered with only 170-180 gr bullets or the 6.5 PRC being offered only in 150-156gr bullets or the .300 WM only being offered with 212-230gr bullets.

The fact that the bullets for this cartridge never existed until its design is another milestone.

We obviously know that some people will try running 130gr bullets out of this thing at warp speed but the only factory ammo available starts at 165gr and goes up. Those are big bullets in a .270 and sets this cartridge apart from all that have come before it.

Long, heavy bullets only:

165 ABLR
170 NBT
175 Gamechanger

There is also a 170 EOL out there that hand loaders will be sure to try out, and Winchester is also offering a 170 OTM loading, as well.

I like the name, if for no other reason than it really describes what this cartridge should be best at, and that is Western hunting for mule deer, elk and pronghorn and anything else that lives in open country. With the blend of speed, heavy bullet weight, inherent accuracy and low recoil, I think it would be hard to find a better all-around hunting cartridge for the American West. Plenty of other places, too!

Last edited:
It's how a cartridge should be. Bullets of similar shape and weight to optimize chamber throat and barrel twist, then differences in bullet construction to flex to different needs.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Really hopefully this finally gives the 6.8 bore size the kick in the ass it needs for projo development.

EmperorMA

WKR
Emperor

How do you think this would compare to 270 Wby on elk?
It will be different. The .270 Roy is made to send lighter bullets downrange with a great deal of velocity. It is wicked-fast even with 150s and there just isn't much guesswork with it out to a quarter-mile .... just hold on fur and watch stuff die.

The 6.8 Western is just coming into its own at 400 yards but those heavy bullets should knock the crap out of stuff in close, as well, as the velocity numbers aren't so high that I'd be afraid of bullet failure inside of 100 yards.

Bottom line, if I am shooting over 100 yards out to 450, it would be hard to beat a .270 Wby Mag. If I am shooting from 10 yards to 1,000, I'd want a 6.8 Western.

Last edited:
OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
It will be different. The .270 Roy is made to send lighter bullets downrange with a great deal of velocity. It is wicked-fast even with 150s and there just isn't much guesswork with it out to a quarter-mile .... just hold on fur and watch stuff die.

The 6.8 Western is just coming into its own at 400 yards but those heavy bullets should knock the crap out of stuff in close, as well, as the velocity numbers aren't so high that I'd be afraid of bullet failure.

Bottom line, if I am shooting over 100 yards out to 450, it would be hard to beat a .270 Wby Mag. If I am shooting from 10 yards to 1,000, I'd want a 6.8 Western.
How would you compare to 280 AI?

EmperorMA

WKR
How would you compare to 280 AI?
I have never owned nor shot anything with a .280 AI. However, on paper, the 6.8 Western looks to be extremely similar in performance to a .280 AI throated for long bullets, albeit with a longer action.

The 6.8 Western is probably even more similar to the .280 AI's shorter performance clone, the 7 SAUM.

It is closest to the mythical .270 PRC, though. Not a bad place to be.

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
Much better received on here so far compared to some of those crazy hunting groups on facebook and other sites. As a long time 270 WSM owner and believer with a newer 300 WM; I have to admit I may look at trading the 300 for a 6.8 if it sticks and gets the backing

EmperorMA

WKR
Much better received on here so far compared to some of those crazy hunting groups on facebook and other sites. As a long time 270 WSM owner and believer with a newer 300 WM; I have to admit I may look at trading the 300 for a 6.8 if it sticks and gets the backing
I have to agree with you.

I cant see anything a .300 WM can do with 210 class bullets that a 6.8 Western can't do with 175s, all with much less recoil.

gerry35

WKR
This is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for since I'm a big fan of 277 cartridges. It's enough bigger than my 260 Rem to be a noticeable step up. I did like the 6.5 PRC but it doesn't have the heavy bullet options this one will have. Looks like they did their homework and thought this through well. Being a lefty it looks like rebarreling a Tikka T3x in 7mm RM or 300 WM would be the best option for a light weight easy to pack rifle. I already have a Hell's Canyon Armory magazine siting here just waiting. Was going to just get a standard 270 WSM but this would be much better. I see it as an improved heavy bullet version of the 6.5 PRC with the recoil still being easy to handle. The heavy 277 cal bullet selection is growing well too and you can be sure to see that improve as we go on. would love to turn a 180 gr Woodleigh loose on a moose one day ;)

Bghntr416

FNG
This would be a tough choice between it and the 6.5 PRC if I was in the market for long range deer rifle. If I hunted elk a lot I would go with the 6.8. Otherwise I would go with the PRC.

Bghntr416

FNG
UT_Hunter. I have the 6.5 PRC as well. I have taken pronghorn, Mountain Caribou, and moose with it so far. You will not be disappointed.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
I almost went 270WSM when I rebuilt my Tikka this year, but ended up staying with 7mm Rem Mag because there's more options to play with in load development. I would have considered the 6.8 Western because it seems like a good match for Tikka's 3.34" mag limitation in a deer/antelope rifle, but the only Hornady option would be a 145gr ELD-X, until they offer something heavier in .277 you kind of rule out Hornady as an option to play with. If you could do load development with 160-170ish Accubonds, ABLR, ELD-X or ELD-M, Berger and a 150ish LRX you could build a decent rifle that should shoot something that work well on mule deer, but it's hard to build a rifle with a plan to just shoot the 165ABLR and cross your fingers it works.

I almost went 270WSM when I rebuilt my Tikka this year, but ended up staying with 7mm Rem Mag because there's more options to play with in load development. I would have considered the 6.8 Western because it seems like a good match for Tikka's 3.34" mag limitation in a deer/antelope rifle, but the only Hornady option would be a 145gr ELD-X, until they offer something heavier in .277 you kind of rule out Hornady as an option to play with. If you could do load development with 160-170ish Accubonds, ABLR, ELD-X or ELD-M, Berger and a 150ish LRX you could build a decent rifle that should shoot something that work well on mule deer, but it's hard to build a rifle with a plan to just shoot the 165ABLR and cross your fingers it works.
Berger makes a 170 EOL already.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
I meant I want something I can have a few more options to try, it seems like Nosler and Berger are the only 2 moving in the heavy .277 direction. On paper the cartridge looks good, but until you can get published load data it's hard to say if there's much difference from a 7 SAUM. Either one will shoot a 160ish bullet at around 3,000 from a similar shaped case. All else equal .277 should be higher BC than .284, it's just hard to want to be one of the early adopters before you see components really become available.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
What I really want is for Hornady to come out with a 284 PRC, it should be half way between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC in case capacity, max length of 3.340" and throated for 162-180 ELD's. It could push the 175 ELD-X at about the same velocity as a 7 Rem Mag with lighter ELD-X bullets and should be tolerable without a brake in a hunting weight rifle. Considering Hornady just mailed me a poster showing the 6mm ARC as their "New for 2021" load I don't think I'll hold my breath on a 284 anytime soon...