Thoughts on new 6.8 Western cartridge

rootacres

WKR
Winchester and Browning announced collaboration on new "6.8 Western" cartridge.

Looks to be shortened 270 WSM with faster twist barrels for longer, heavier bullets compared to factory 270 Win and 270 WSM cartridges.

So far, only 3 factory ammo offerings.

See https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/wi...-the-new-6-8-western-cartridge/#axzz6jdl1qGcS

I get companies have to come out with new products to help drive sales. And there is no question that over the years there's been great improvements made in powder and bullet designs.

To me, some people were a little reluctant to shoot a 6.5 PRC on game larger than deer and the 7mm SAUM (among others) already existed so the 6.8 Western was born. With the .277 Fury coming out and the 270 WSM seeming to gain a little more traction bullet companies are jumping on board with bullets. Its a win : win for some. New caliber to drive rifle sales, new bullets and load offerings to drive those sales. Ultimately so we can all discuss it on forums for the next couple years, splitting hairs over required KE and FPS to kill stuff.

The 7mm's are the redheaded stepchild and there's too much buzz following the 6.5 PRC. . So lets put a 6.8mm bullet in a 7mm SAUM case (pretty much). It'll fit the SAAMI spec mag boxes of the most popular and cloned bolt action ever made (rem 700 @ 2.860") while running longer, higher BC bullets.

Im sure it a very efficient cartridge, much like the 6.5 PRC and 7mm SAUM. And I poke fun at it but I have really come to appreciate short action, shorter barrel hunting rifles. If I didn't have a 22" Bartlein 7mm SAUM barrel ordered maybe Id consider this cartridge instead.

What I really want is for Hornady to come out with a 284 PRC, it should be half way between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC in case capacity, max length of 3.340" and throated for 162-180 ELD's. It could push the 175 ELD-X at about the same velocity as a 7 Rem Mag with lighter ELD-X bullets and should be tolerable without a brake in a hunting weight rifle. Considering Hornady just mailed me a poster showing the 6mm ARC as their "New for 2021" load I don't think I'll hold my breath on a 284 anytime soon...
I agree. 7mm has always been my favorite bullet diameter, as dumb as that sounds. I have 7mm08's, .280 Rem's, 7mm Rem mag, and a 7mm Weatherby. I've switched up to 6.5 PRC lately for the excellent long range aspect, but would drop 6.5's like a bad habit for similar performance in a 7mm with a decent selection of factory ammo to try.

rootacres

WKR
Can somebody please explain to me how this is any better, different or advantageous than a 8 twist 270 Win?

I’m all for new if there is an advantage.

I’m 6 FPS behind Winchester’s published specs with 165 ABLRs in my 8.5 twist 270 Win, soooo🤷‍♂️
Not a huge advantage but this cartridge is designed to run off a short action instead of a long, creating a lighter, more compact package. I would guess that you'll be able to load the newer, longer, high BC bullets out longer maximizing case capacity too. Once the experienced hand loaders get ahold of it they will unwrap its performance more than published factory ammo. Its just a more efficient package with minimal performance gain attached to a marketing campaign.

Can somebody please explain to me how this is any better, different or advantageous than a 8 twist 270 Win?

I’m 6 FPS behind Winchester’s published specs with 165 ABLRs in my 8.5 twist 270 Win, soooo🤷‍♂️
It's short action non-belted uber cool high bc flatbill approved manna from the 1,000 yard elk gods. That's why.
#kuiucommandohighcountrywarrior

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
If my calculator is right I get 7mm/25.4=.276 inches, based on this I think they should have called it the 7mm Western, that would really get people questioning their long held beliefs.

Not a huge advantage but this cartridge is designed to run off a short action instead of a long, creating a lighter, more compact package. I would guess that you'll be able to load the newer, longer, high BC bullets out longer maximizing case capacity too. Once the experienced hand loaders get ahold of it they will unwrap its performance more than published factory ammo. Its just a more efficient package with minimal performance gain attached to a marketing campaign.

I can see the short action advantage and people chomping at the bit waiting for Tikka to chamber it.

So far it looks like a solution in search of a problem.

BCsteve

WKR

Because factory .270 Win with a 1:8 twist don't exist and not everyone shoot custom rifles.

Because factory .270 Win with a 1:8 twist don't exist and not everyone shoot custom rifles.

From a manufacturing perspective it would be easier to make 8 twist barrels and load heavier bullets in the 270 Win. The added benefit would be case availability and easy to find factory ammo that won’t be obsolete before it hits the shelves.

BCsteve

WKR
From a manufacturing perspective it would be easier to make 8 twist barrels and load heavier bullets in the 270 Win. The added benefit would be case availability and easy to find factory ammo that won’t be obsolete before it hits the shelves.
Not all hunters are gun nerds like us. You would have .270 Win ammo on the shelves loaded with heavy high BC bullets that Joe Average would buy for his old .270 Win that wouldn't stabilize and shoot all over the place.

Rook-

FNG

Won't somebody think of the marketing managers, gun writers and "influencers". What would they do without something new and improved. If I read the ad copy right it does everything better mo powah less shoulder pain something something long range. And we can write ad copy on each of the 20+ browning rifles in the chambering. (Including the super mega ultra exclusive deer head branding edition with more plastic)

gerry35

WKR
Off the top of my head there already exists the following:

165 gr ABLR
170 gr Berger
180 gr Woodleigh
165 gr Matrix
175 gr Matrix

In factory load form and soon to be out for handloader's I'm sure

170 gr Ballistic Silvertip
170 gr Sierra Match King
175 gr Sierra TGK

Add in existing 145-160 gr bullets and there are a lot more choices. With the 27 Nosler that came out last year and now the 6.8 Western you can expect more heavy bullets from manufacturers like Berger and Hornady. There are plenty of bullets already but more will be on the way I'm sure.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of building a Tikka T3X something....its currently chambered in 30-06, and while the 6.5PRC and this new 6.8 Western are better in velocity, energy, BC, There's very few options in ammunition. When i looked at Federal Swift Scirrocco and Terminal Ascent, those weren't that far behind this 6.8 Western in terms of 500 yard performance and drop.

Are these going to have factory ammunition in 15 years for 6.5PRC and 6.8 Western?

What do you guys think about pandemic friendly chamberings? My first thought was 30-06 would be great, but maybe it being common is bad, because there's tons of folks that own them hoarding all the ammo from Fleet Farm.

Maybe something like less common like 6.8 Western would be better to have (in a year or two).

From what I saw at Ace Hardware, 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag were like 2 of 8 chamberings that were available.

1610842077970.png

1610842091653.png

What I really want is for Hornady to come out with a 284 PRC, it should be half way between the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC in case capacity, max length of 3.340" and throated for 162-180 ELD's. It could push the 175 ELD-X at about the same velocity as a 7 Rem Mag with lighter ELD-X bullets and should be tolerable without a brake in a hunting weight rifle. Considering Hornady just mailed me a poster showing the 6mm ARC as their "New for 2021" load I don't think I'll hold my breath on a 284 anytime soon...
Maybe someone will correct me here, as I’m not a reloader or “gun nerd,” but isn’t that just a 7 SAUM?

ABNRGRCSM

FNG
Call me crazy but I just ordered a case of the 6.8 Western in 165gs ABLR. I’ve been waiting on a 6.8/.270 or 7mm/.284 short action with the longer throat and faster twist. I almost pulled the trigger on the 6.5 PRC but couldn’t find components much less cartridges. Glad I didn’t. Who knew we’d have to buy ammo then the rifle but that’s 2020/21

For the 1/10 of 1 percent of American hunters who might ever shoot beyond 500 yards it may show a nominal advantage over some other chamberings. I know I am excited about that.

I'm in the process of building a Tikka T3X something....its currently chambered in 30-06, and while the 6.5PRC and this new 6.8 Western are better in velocity, energy, BC, There's very few options in ammunition. When i looked at Federal Swift Scirrocco and Terminal Ascent, those weren't that far behind this 6.8 Western in terms of 500 yard performance and drop.

Are these going to have factory ammunition in 15 years for 6.5PRC and 6.8 Western?

What do you guys think about pandemic friendly chamberings? My first thought was 30-06 would be great, but maybe it being common is bad, because there's tons of folks that own them hoarding all the ammo from Fleet Farm.

Maybe something like less common like 6.8 Western would be better to have (in a year or two).

From what I saw at Ace Hardware, 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag were like 2 of 8 chamberings that were available.

View attachment 253435

View attachment 253436
That's exactly why I bought a 28 Nosler in 2020. Ammo and brass are still widely available. Not cheap, but available.