Thoughts on new 6.8 Western cartridge

z987k

WKR
The best thing to cross over from the LR world to hunting is better understanding of things like BC, sectional density, and how to use optics to their potential so that we may maximize our effective range and lethality Inside of that range.

That said, the chasing of marginal gains as if it helps to harvest more animals Is starting to get a bit shark jumpy, no?

Let’s take the Nosler ABLR in 6.5, 6.8, and 7mm as an example. The G7’s of the 142gr, 165gr, and 175gr in each of those calibers is .315, .312, and .326. A cursory glance at load data has each of those loads being launched within double digits of one another. Expect anywhere from mid-2800’s to high 2900’s. Felt recoil ranges from low 20’s to high 20’s, depending on deployed weight of setup. All that to say this...throw a blanket over them. Truly.

By the way, when is a new fast twist dumpy-cased 7mm being released that has a 7% gain over the 6.8W being released?
And while we're at it, why not a new bore diameter? Say .294. Call it 7.25mm. Theres more bore diameter between 284 and 308 than there is between 6.5, 6.8 and 7mm.
Not that any animal can tell the difference in hole size.

Oh I only have a .277" hole in me. I think I'll run off and be fine. If only you made that hole 7 thousandths bigger!

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
And while we're at it, why not a new bore diameter? Say .294. Call it 7.25mm. Theres more bore diameter between 284 and 308 than there is between 6.5, 6.8 and 7mm.

Oh I only have a .277" hole in me. I think I'll run off and be fine. If only you made that hole 7 thousandths bigger!
because nobody makes barrels in .294

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

If the animal only has a .277 hole in it, your doing it wrong.:)

Aint that the truth! I've been diving into this world for 2 months, this rabbit hole is DEEP. 270, 270WSM, 260AI, 6.5PRC, .277 Fury, 6.8 Western, 30-06, 7rem..... All are viable options. When you graph all of them, they're all very very close out to 200 yards and pretty close out to 400yards. Past 500-600 they can start to deviate a bunch.

I'd guess if anybody already has one of these chambered in a gun they, like, its not worth pissing around, but for somebody that's buying a new gun, its worth some time to see which is best for their application, longevity, cost, ect ect.

If you're a hand loader.....you can probably make any of these be beter than the factory version of the other.

The .277 fury may have a 7% gain over the 6.8 Western once it has a 165gr bullet in factory ammo.
The best thing to cross over from the LR world to hunting is better understanding of things like BC, sectional density, and how to use optics to their potential so that we may maximize our effective range and lethality Inside of that range.

That said, the chasing of marginal gains as if it helps to harvest more animals Is starting to get a bit shark jumpy, no?

Let’s take the Nosler ABLR in 6.5, 6.8, and 7mm as an example. The G7’s of the 142gr, 165gr, and 175gr in each of those calibers is .315, .312, and .326. A cursory glance at load data has each of those loads being launched within double digits of one another. Expect anywhere from mid-2800’s to high 2900’s. Felt recoil ranges from low 20’s to high 20’s, depending on deployed weight of setup. All that to say this...throw a blanket over them. Truly.

By the way, when is a new fast twist dumpy-cased 7mm being released that has a 7% gain over the 6.8W being released?
Fast twist dumpy 7mm will be shot show 2022.

Fivex475

FNG
The 6.8 Western has got my attention as my current 270 Win won't shoot anything over 130's accurately - but I love the gun. Wondering what I'd get velocity-wise on 165 LRAB's if I re-barreled it to an 8 twist, 24 inches long? Just trying to figure out how much slower it would be than the 6.8 Western.
First post for me. I think it is not just a twist issue, velocity and action length aside. In my little experience so far the newer cartridges, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC for me, shoot really well right out of the box in inexspensive rifles. I think the long throats keeping the bullet out of the powder space and alighning the long bullets is key. My Creedmoor shot under 3/4moa and the PRC under 1/4moa factory , off bipod and my shoulder. I have not had a chance to bench them yet. Am I off on this ?

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
Off the top of my head there already exists the following:

165 gr ABLR
170 gr Berger
180 gr Woodleigh
165 gr Matrix
175 gr Matrix

In factory load form and soon to be out for handloader's I'm sure

170 gr Ballistic Silvertip
170 gr Sierra Match King
175 gr Sierra TGK

Add in existing 145-160 gr bullets and there are a lot more choices. With the 27 Nosler that came out last year and now the 6.8 Western you can expect more heavy bullets from manufacturers like Berger and Hornady. There are plenty of bullets already but more will be on the way I'm sure.
Just got news of a 170 AccuBond nearing release, as well.

EmperorMA

WKR
Possible but I wouldn’t be confident in these predictions in the near term. The nosler 165 accubond lr is 23 gr heavier than the heaviest 6.5 (which has a pile of factory chamberings twisted fast enough for a heavier pill) and only 10 gr lighter than the 175 7mm.. why would they go heavier for caliber on a 270 than they do on 6.5 or 7?

Berger has yet to release more than 1 EOL option at any bore size, much less a heavier option. 6.5 and 30 ca EOLs are still pretty new on the market so I’d be surprised to see them focus on a second .277 offering before a first option for .243 or .257 or a second offering for 6.5, 7, or 308.
Nosler 170 AccuBond already in play.

Very new to western hunting and looking at the Tikka lite 6.5 creedmoor as I'm a smaller guy hunting elk and deer primarily. All good info, thanks everyone!

Lolol. Not to be a debbie downer, but I kinda have to agree. Introducing another niche hunting cartridge into a field of close competitors during the worst ammo and components shortage in recent memory just does not seem like something to bet the farm on
On the other hand, if it's the only guns and ammo someone can find when they go int the store, Winchester might be geniuses.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Or 6mm creedmoor. It's the one cartridge I've consistently seen along I5 in Oregon at least

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, hopefully only enough people jump onto this 6.8 Western thing to keep them making parts/ammunition for me, but not enough that people will hoard it when the next 100 year pandemic hits in 2027. :unsure:

Aaron P.

FNG
Yeah, hopefully only enough people jump onto this 6.8 Western thing to keep them making parts/ammunition for me, but not enough that people will hoard it when the next 100 year pandemic hits in 2027. :unsure:
Don't hold your breath either. If the talks in DC turn to laws, the Bolt actions are going to absorb all the demand that semi autos hold. I'd like to think this current situation isn't repeated for the hunting community any time soon though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

gerry35

WKR
I haven't been this excited over a new cartridge since the 260 Rem in 1997. This is exactly what I have been looking for and am super excited about all the new heavy bullets coming out. Hodgdon has data for it already and it appears to be about 100-150 fps or so above the 270 Win. They also have data for the 27 Nosler and it's a beast!.

For my Tikka T3x project I'm thinking of going with a 22" barrel to have a compact and lightweight gun. Also am getting a Weatherby Weathermark LT in 270 Weatherby this year. It has a 26" barrel so the 6.8 Western at 22" will be a lot nicer for packing in the mountains and the 270 Bee for other hunts. Thoughts on the shorter barrel? I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for something more compact.

Franger

FNG
Any smart folks out there know if this new cartridge can be loaded with lighter bullets? The flexibility of this new round will be pretty marginal if the only thing that can be loaded are longer 160gr or larger bullets.

It seems to be at the 6.8 western is a less capable version of the 7 rem mag. Everyone knows 7RM is just a 7mm-08 with increased recoil and powder usage with little to no advantage. Everyone also knows the 7mm-08 is really just an older version of a 6.5 Creedmoor.

MY GOD............they have released another 6.5 Creedmoor.

gerry35

WKR
Any smart folks out there know if this new cartridge can be loaded with lighter bullets? The flexibility of this new round will be pretty marginal if the only thing that can be loaded are longer 160gr or larger bullets.
Yes handloader's will be able to load 277 bullets from the 85-90 gr bullets designed for the 6.8 SPC on up. Maybe in theory light weight, thin jacketed bullets at high speed might have an issue with bullet integrity but most will be just fine. A 85 - 90 gr E tip or TTSX at warp speed would be interesting.

Franger

FNG
Yes handloader's will be able to load 277 bullets from the 85-90 gr bullets designed for the 6.8 SPC on up. Maybe in theory light weight, thin jacketed bullets at high speed might have an issue with bullet integrity but most will be just fine. A 85 - 90 gr E tip or TTSX at warp speed would be interesting.
Forgive the question, but how would you seat those lower weight bullets and not have OAL issues/gaps to the lands?

Franger

FNG
It seems to be at the 6.8 western is a less capable version of the 7 rem mag. Everyone knows 7RM is just a 7mm-08 with increased recoil and powder usage with little to no advantage. Everyone also knows the 7mm-08 is really just an older version of a 6.5 Creedmoor.

MY GOD............they have released another 6.5 Creedmoor.
I’ve spent the better part of a lazy morning running ballistics for various comparable loads between the 6.8W and 7RM. Winchester has a 9in twist M70 Featherweight (I hope it’s not a typo since the rest of their 7RMs are 9.5in twists). That barrel can easily stabilize 175gr .284 pills of various makes/models. Add that to the availability of a great number of 140-160gr bullets in 7RM and I’m still scratching my head. The 6.8W is a great round if x, y, and z blah blah....and thus the issue with the cartridge.

Seems manufacturers are pretty content to design cartridges around a small subset of bullets these days. The 6.5prc is a similar story.